B&W hitch install time? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

B&W hitch install time?

Just what the title says, how long to put a hitch on one of the '11s?

Over three hours? It looks pretty straight forward bolting up and such....
Going to try to get it done tomorrow. This weekend has been hectic, I ended up helping a neighbor put a wall up in his basement, wired two switches, and outlets, drywalled and put in a prehung door. Kinda ate the last two days up on me! Oh well, what are friends for,, his wife is going to have her baby in two weeks, and they are moving their oldest into a basement bedroom. This one is an accident, ,, their youngest is in 6th grade, guess she took what he was "Pokin in fun" seriously!

*48* Jim T. 2011 F-350 Lariat, CC, LB, SRW. White Platinum Metallic Tricoat. Black leather seats, I probably wont have*PMS,, with this one, at least no major attacks of it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Village Idiot

Re: B&W hitch install time?

Jim, something in my memory wants me to believe that this isn't your first B&W install, but I am probably wrong. I would say that 3 hrs is easily done by yourself. If you have help you can take a shortcut or two and get it done in probably 2 hrs.

When we installed my brother's, we dropped the spare tire for better access. If you are working on it by yourself, go that route. When we did mine, we didn't bother with the spare as we realized 2 men could heft the hitch into place easily without bothering with that step. The most important step is to loosen the bed bolts to give you clearance to slide the angles in place. When you do this there is no need to notch the body on the left side, but the directions still showed doing that on mine. I've installed 4 of these things on 3 different model year Fords and have never done the notch.

If you do work by yourself you are going to need a method to lift/hold the center section up into place while you bolt it to the angles. When working by myself I've used a 2x4 across the top of the bed and a small ratchet strap for this task.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 10:56 PM
PSN Local

it took me and one of my mechanics about an hour or a little more. I only had a problem getting the hitch up and twisted around under the bed. I wouldnt want to do it by myself.

2011 6.7 F350 CCSB BLUE SWEET RIDE

1996 F350 BABY SWAMPS AND TS, FLAT DOWNPIPE

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Hey Matt, no this is my first INSTALL , My dually has one on it. But it came with it.
I'll be by myself most likely. I'll try the strap and 2x4, good idea!
I will also loosen the bed, since it's new, the bolts should be easy to loosen.
I will also remove the spare tire. Looks like I'll do this tomorrow, Was going to listen to the Rams while I did it. But I see it's a late game, Crap!
Thanks guys, I bet it won't take 3 hours.

*48* Jim T. 2011 F-350 Lariat, CC, LB, SRW. White Platinum Metallic Tricoat. Black leather seats, I probably wont have*PMS,, with this one, at least no major attacks of it!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Village Idiot

Alright, it's Tuesday. Where's the update? You can't possibly be still installing it!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Hehe, no, it's in. Took less than 3 hours with several breaks, and dinner in there. Just took my time. Fretted a little when I couldn't get the bed loose, (with a 3/8" drive ratchet and T50 socket) Finally used my impact and zoooom they loosened up so easily it wasn't funny. (I was sure it would break the T50) Anyway, after loosening the bed, the install went fine. As you said I believe, the bed was already marked perfectly. I used a long bar across the bed rails and ratchet strap to hold the hitch center section up, after sliding the front and rear cross members into place, bolted everything loosely up and then tightened it. Looks like a professional install for sure!

As "Semomotorsports" said above, It was just a little difficult to get the center section up over the tank and the exhaust at the same time. (Worried about all the tubes/wires on the tank sending unit!) WHAT a rats nest!
After enough work it was in place. I had it lay up there loosely then hooked the ratchet straps to the locking pin and tightened it up to the bed in the hole.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 01:59 AM
Village Idiot

Glad to hear it went well for you! I would say enjoy the best hitch available, but it's not really the "best" fifth wheel hitch available. It is however the best combination of gooseneck and fifth wheel for the money.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 03:26 AM
PSN Local

glad to hear its not too hard. Anyone know how to find out if a b&w hitch out of an 06 dodge dually will work in my '11? I don't have any instructions, it came out of my dads truck when he put a haybed on

'11 F250 Crew Cab Short Bed XLT FX4 Midnight Black
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I am sure it won't fit, The 08-10s won't even interchange with '11s. B&Ws '11 part number is 1111, and they are made to Bolt right into existing holes in the frame.
The name I gave above was the best price I could find. 350 shipped is as low as you'll find I pretty much guarantee.
The only thing that COULD be the same is the center section. The cross members are notched for the frame, and the side plates are DEFINITELY model specific.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 11:24 PM
PSN Local

hmm, Ok. Thanks for the info

'11 F250 Crew Cab Short Bed XLT FX4 Midnight Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode