Reviews Chevy vs Ford - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Reviews Chevy vs Ford

Of the reviews that I've read the only one thus far that has been entirely positive about the Chevy/GM HD truck is pickuptrucks.com! The review in Popular Mechanics gave the win to the Ford... PM rated the ride quality, interior, fit and finish and noise levels to all be superior in the Ford. Then Car and Driver had this to say about the GMC Denali's ride quality:

"The Sierra is not without its flaws, however. While a suspension designed to accommodate a one-ton payload atop the shoulders of a four-ton truck is never going to be compliant, there’s a difference between unyielding and uncivilized. Small impacts jostle occupants, but over larger impacts, the front axle feels detached, like it’s rattling in its bushings. “Unfinished” is hardly a confidence-inspiring vibe to get from a work truck."

"Additionally, while the Denali package spruces up the interior, it doesn’t do anything about the low quality of the plastics. (At just $1305 more than a similar Sierra SLT, the main benefit of the Denali package is the monochromatic exterior appearance.) The black tuxedo treatment inside and out masks the cheapness somewhat, but the massive expanse of black plastic that forms the inner door looks low-budget, as does the lower dash panel. Not only that, but they feel hard and hollow."

Pickuptrucks completely ignored all of these things, and even at one point (if I am not mistaken) stated that the ride in the Chevy was better than the Ford and Dodge. I just don't understand how two reviews can agree while a third is entirely off base on its description and conclusion. Pickuptrucks also ignored the interior quality, fit and finish, and available options. These things are important as the interior is the place we will all spend the most time!

My wife and I just purchased a 2011 F-250 Lariat with navigation... But before we bought this truck we were ready to buy the Chevy if it was really superior, I was worried about jumping into a new vehicle that had yet to go through the everyday paces, but the Ford just offered so much more for the money. Sync, power, fit and finish, ride quality etc.

I conclusion, I don't understand where pickuptrucks is coming from on this one, Mike seems to have completely missed the mark on this one. What are everyone elses thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 01:38 PM
FNG

Re: Reviews Chevy vs Ford

I can answer the question about pickuptrucks.com's review.

The guy that wrote it is contracted to the US government You know the current owners of GM

Dave G

06 F250 Lariat 4x4 leveled on 35s

4 inch flowmaster exhaust
Bulletproof diesel egr delete.
Bulletproof diesel FICM
Performance Machine & Manufacturing Coolant Filter Kit

ECM and FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes from Gearhead, Innovative and Wildman
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 04:08 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
"The Sierra is not without its flaws, however. While a suspension designed to accommodate a one-ton payload atop the shoulders of a four-ton truck is never going to be compliant, there’s a difference between unyielding and uncivilized. Small impacts jostle occupants, but over larger impacts, the front axle feels detached, like it’s rattling in its bushings. “Unfinished” is hardly a confidence-inspiring vibe to get from a work truck."
This is Crazy

Sounds like he thinks they put a 1/2 ton on a 3/4 ton Frame

only issues i ever seen with a 3/4 ton GM was the front of the 09 seemed to take twice as much pressure to turn than the 07 i had...

He's full of Crap about the Rattling in the front i had a 07 and 09 No Such Rattle with either! Infact the 07 was a Freaking Cadillac compared to the 09 and had power out the Arse!

The Reason i don't have the 09 SLT is the Durn thing Had Frame beaming and I couldn't stand it! they even replaced the two rear cab mounts with Hydraulic mounts,and that Fixed about 60% of it But it still did It and i hated they had to work on a $52,xxx Dollar truck to get the ride i had ,so It's Gone and I will be driving the job 2 Ford next!!! the ride of the new fords is Better than the 3/4 GMs I had.

My favorite interior is the SLE GM.I had a GMC SLT and the Center Console was nothing but a Huge Hole between the seats,the SLE has way better storage and Two Glove box's,better Dash,lockable storage in the seat,Yet they think the SLT is better No way IN MY BOOK!

Only thing the SLT has over the SLE is the Painted Door Handles,and Heated seats ,I really like the Door handles on the SLT,and the Heated seats were Nice, But the dash looked Plain Jane!

I started with Ford,might as well go out with One

Don't believe Everything you read! GM's are Great Trucks but I missed the SFA and I'm Going Back! the new 6.7 was all it took to Push me over the Hill

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 04:15 AM
PSN Newb

I said this in many spots but you want a car you buy a GMC/Chevy, you want a rattlin a$$ stone age ride, you get a Dodge, and then you want the best you get a FORD! I was really surprised though when I rode in my buddies new Chevy, I asked him what is wrong with the front end?!?! It was rough and noisy, good damn thing they still have some of the nicest seats around....

Originally Posted by Dirk
No. There is a good chance the guy in the dodge is a dick.

I'm just sayin...
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I was just really surprised with the review from pickuptrucks.com, Mike completely ignored ride, interior, fit and finish, and the features available. The writer mentioned them but never rated them. These are important feature, whether you are working or just driving, you need the comfort and connectivitey! How can they not play into the equation at all? I've never seen someone completely ignore these things like pickuptrucks.com did. Mike needs to re-evaluate or mention that he is biased. I don't know... Am I too harsh?
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 03:47 PM
PSN Newb

I am mostly excited about the Diesel Power Mag review that is suppose to be in the upcoming issue. I feel they try to remain fairly neutral on the issues between brands. They do pretty well with this since the editors are all favoring different brands. Couple more days we should have the new info. It will be interesting to see if they tested similar vehicles or screw it up like so many do by testing completly different models.

Originally Posted by Dirk
No. There is a good chance the guy in the dodge is a dick.

I'm just sayin...
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyFarmKid View Post
It will be interesting to see if they tested similar vehicles or screw it up like so many do by testing completly different models.
usually the mags will request certain trims, models, etc but the manufacturers will send something completely different from the request... so they use what they can...

1997 ford f350 crew cab long bed powerstroke diesel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

265k miles

New DD:
2001 Jetta TDI 141k miles
Stock for now.
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I hope that the Diesel Power Mag review is better than Pickuptrucks.com was... It will be interesting to see! I for one can't wait to get home from Afghanistan and drive the new F-250 FX4 Lariat CCab sitting in the drive way! I did tons of research and I would've bought the Chevy had it really been superior to the Ford! After weighing the advantages and disadvantages of both trucks the Ford won! More tech in the engine and drivetrain, and way more tech on the inside! I can't wait to get a nice camper to tow behind this thing!
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 06:30 PM
PSN Veteran

I read an article about the new Ford in Diesel Power a couple months ago???
July issue maybe? not sure, and one on the Chevy

2007 F250 ccsb Lariat
33" Nitto Terra Grapplers on stocks, SCT x3 with custom extreme tunes from IDP, Autometer gauges, zoodad air mod, "2003" turbo, carriage works billet grill layover, HID 6000k, headstuds/egr delete, 6.4 banjo fuel bolt upgrade, 4" turbo back to 7" single stack
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 03:58 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel View Post
I was just really surprised with the review from pickuptrucks.com, Mike completely ignored ride, interior, fit and finish, and the features available. The writer mentioned them but never rated them. These are important feature, whether you are working or just driving, you need the comfort and connectivitey! How can they not play into the equation at all? I've never seen someone completely ignore these things like pickuptrucks.com did. Mike needs to re-evaluate or mention that he is biased. I don't know... Am I too harsh?
Did you drive the gm yourself? I think you are the one being biased. Dad is buying a new one and he drove both. He liked the ford, but it still has that sfa steering wonder. He really liked the new gm steering,ride and brakeing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode