Reviews Chevy vs Ford - Page 6 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 04:05 AM
PSN Local

Re: Reviews Chevy vs Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
Ben you missed the point again. The sfa doesnt move...it stays in the same plane whether loaded or not. Just as the rear does. Im not talking about suspension as that has no effect on the sa.
I realize that. But toe can change depending on ride height on a SFA trucks with inverted Y steering. I dont know how the super duty's are setup but on the dodges, it is this way. Would you not agree with that? my 'toy' is a '68 vw beetle with 4 wheel drive and a 5.3 LSx in the rear. Obviously you arent going to find anything off the shelf for a contraption like that. Im not an engineer and I dont design fossil fuel plants but it wheels well and didnt break until I slid sideways on the road at 45 mph and flipped it in the air several times into the ditch...the cage that I built with my below-average basic mechanical understanding saved my life.

I dont mean to bring that up to "brag", im just saying that most things I do are fabricated, not bought. Like I said im not an engineer by education and I never claimed to be, but give me at least a little credit here. Im not the les schwab down the street who does tire rotations and edge/banks installations. If I was, I wouldnt have customers who drive 6+ hours for a custom set of twins, engine build, trans build, etc...

Quote:
Basic as it gets. I have an engineering degree and designed fossil-fuel power plants as a livelihood in my early twenties so you neednt use your own acumen to 'prove' your mechanical savvy to me. I said before, I think you're smart and know the gm platform but sometimes I think you know more about modding them and performance than your basic mechanical grasp should allow. .
Im not an engineer by education, you are. You're smarter than me. I got nothing. Back when I was designing the circuitry and writing the software code/bus interface for my "tap-shifter" (a module that lets you add the 06+ transmission tip-tronic manual shifter buttons to an 01-05 dmax) I should have consulted a real engineer. I probably would have gotten through R&D and prototyping much faster with a real engineer working with me. When you are building/designing/inventing things for these trucks that no one else in the country does/can figure out, theres a good chance you have an above average "basic mechanical grasp" of things. Just my stupid opinion. :)

Besides, if being an engineer makes you right all the time, then who designed the GM IFS setup? Surely not engineers. (thats my tongue in cheek joke)

I like super duty's; they are the most solid trucks in the 'basic platform' department in my opinion. When I say that I mean suspension, axles, frames, etc. If I was going to get a beater truck that I could do whatever I want with and drive the crap out of in the woods and on jobsites and stuff, Id buy a 7.3 and put up with the vague on-center feel and ball joint/unit bearing replacements. But for a personal truck to drive at less than insane abuse levels, and tow trailers long distances comfortably, I like the GM's. Without airbags, a super duty definitely feels more "solid" towing than a GM, IMO. But once you put airbags on a GM and put some weight in the bed they feel more or less the same to me.

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 03:17 PM
PSN Local

An engineer with a degree,WOW!!
post #53 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 03:16 AM
<----Nice headlights!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duratothemax View Post
I realize that. But toe can change depending on ride height on a SFA trucks with inverted Y steering. I dont know how the super duty's are setup but on the dodges, it is this way. Would you not agree with that? my 'toy' is a '68 vw beetle with 4 wheel drive and a 5.3 LSx in the rear. Obviously you arent going to find anything off the shelf for a contraption like that. Im not an engineer and I dont design fossil fuel plants but it wheels well and didnt break until I slid sideways on the road at 45 mph and flipped it in the air several times into the ditch...the cage that I built with my below-average basic mechanical understanding saved my life.

I dont mean to bring that up to "brag", im just saying that most things I do are fabricated, not bought. Like I said im not an engineer by education and I never claimed to be, but give me at least a little credit here. Im not the les schwab down the street who does tire rotations and edge/banks installations. If I was, I wouldnt have customers who drive 6+ hours for a custom set of twins, engine build, trans build, etc...

Im not an engineer by education, you are. You're smarter than me. I got nothing. Back when I was designing the circuitry and writing the software code/bus interface for my "tap-shifter" (a module that lets you add the 06+ transmission tip-tronic manual shifter buttons to an 01-05 dmax) I should have consulted a real engineer. I probably would have gotten through R&D and prototyping much faster with a real engineer working with me. When you are building/designing/inventing things for these trucks that no one else in the country does/can figure out, theres a good chance you have an above average "basic mechanical grasp" of things. Just my stupid opinion. :)

Besides, if being an engineer makes you right all the time, then who designed the GM IFS setup? Surely not engineers. (thats my tongue in cheek joke)

I like super duty's; they are the most solid trucks in the 'basic platform' department in my opinion. When I say that I mean suspension, axles, frames, etc. If I was going to get a beater truck that I could do whatever I want with and drive the crap out of in the woods and on jobsites and stuff, Id buy a 7.3 and put up with the vague on-center feel and ball joint/unit bearing replacements. But for a personal truck to drive at less than insane abuse levels, and tow trailers long distances comfortably, I like the GM's. Without airbags, a super duty definitely feels more "solid" towing than a GM, IMO. But once you put airbags on a GM and put some weight in the bed they feel more or less the same to me.

Ben
I knew you'd throw that in my face...cuz thats all you got.

I am glad you can fabricate stuff. Thats great. Your tapshifter retro is a great idea. Im sure it was hard if you reverse engineered(theres that damn word again) one that gm already put in a newer truck. We've all done creative things when we needed to. Ever made a boost controller with a small water line valve? Hardware store parts?

I said for someone who builds race trucks you couldnt understand the obvious. Ive NEVER seen my tires camber angle change on my truck based on a load. Im not saying that makes a ford better or whatever. My saying Im an engineer was more of a joke, like you all think Im a dumbass but have an engineering degree kind of joke....

I dont care if somebody is formally educated or not.

Im sure we're either too much alike or way too different because you understand nothing I say, and vice versa.

None of it really matters though...

2000 F250 4x4 cc/sb. 6" w/37's and some other stuff.

post #54 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 10:13 PM
PSN Local

IFS on a halfton is very understandable... to think that a big heavy truck is better off with IFS than a big strong SFA is nonsense.. JMO

Over 100K miles here and never touched for maintainance.... i've thrown alot of power at this thing as well.

2005 F-250 FX4 CC SB
EGR delete, ARP studs
225's, VGT-HO
Spearco, AFE, Flowpro 4"
Nitrous
Suncoast tranny (want a NADP)
Elite fueling
post #55 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 02:05 PM
PSN Newb

CNBC is doing a special program on Ford Reinventing an American icon. Everytime i see a new Dodge or Chevy truck i think why is that guy buying from the GOVERMENT I don't support wellfare and whats worse is this lies that they have paid back the Taxpayers. Buy the ford its superior and you can jump on the best american success story in years GMC Govermant Motor Company there IRS Camaro even gets its but kicked by live axle mustang come on chevy boys jump in, the water's HOT!!!

Early 99 ZF6 ford 4x4 279000 miles, original motor stage, 1 Bean injectors, 4" exhaust, stock turbo, DP-tuner F-6 with modified stock, 80 tow, and 60 economy. full gauges DIY intake with 6637 filter and a Pete Cleveland prefilter.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #56 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 02:46 PM
PSN Veteran

Funny your writing about this cause they just had a write up in the paper about GM VS Ford .... Title was "Is GM worth as much as Ford" it was about Stocks and it talked about the Money borrowed and peoples thoughts on that!

basically came down to people liking the Ford For not usen Our tax money among other reasons!

What Got me was they said GM would be able to Put money back into their Products sooner because of the bail out.... it said Ford had Morgaged everything they had for the restructure and it would take longer before they would have the extra cash to put into their Products...

The Paper DID say they/GM still owe the tax Money!!!

It also stated that GM has had 4 CEO's in the Last 2 years.. Ford #1 :~)
post #57 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 03:18 PM
PSN Newb

GM is as bad as Goldman Sach's bunch of back door thieves. If ford fails that is last of capitalism for most part in this country. Ford put it on the line did not put out hand and squeal and for that there is risk and that is how it is supposed to work. The friendly chevy Ford argument is not that anymore any red blooded American must see the highjjacking of our car companies Ford is the Last major manufacturer i dont know how will play out with such a disadvantage no one seems to care if companies or people are on wellfare or were the product comes from and that will eventually kill this great company and our kidds will have to fight to rid goverment from our lives so buy that camaro order that pelosi edition iI will stick with a white ford work truck that keeps this country turning. If you all don't agree that what i fought for for this country and thats great i just hope it stays that way. If you don't see then besides ford, some beer and prostituition. see what else we still make in this country. Vanity is a sighn of decline in society and most reality tv shows are just about that. sorry for monolog!!

Early 99 ZF6 ford 4x4 279000 miles, original motor stage, 1 Bean injectors, 4" exhaust, stock turbo, DP-tuner F-6 with modified stock, 80 tow, and 60 economy. full gauges DIY intake with 6637 filter and a Pete Cleveland prefilter.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #58 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 04:04 PM
PSN Veteran

I have an 08 f250 and I drive an 08 chevy for my company truck, I put 70,000 miles a year on the duramax and I dont mind the motor. I HATE the rest of that truck. I cant beleive they could sell a truck that is such a peice of crap.

Iowa PWRSTKE
2011 Lariat Ultimate/7" ICON/22"BMFs and 37" TOYOs
2005 King Ranch/ 3"/20"BMFs and 35" TOYOs

post #59 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 04:12 PM
<----Nice headlights!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa PWRSTKE View Post
I have an 08 f250 and I drive an 08 chevy for my company truck, I put 70,000 miles a year on the duramax and I dont mind the motor. I HATE the rest of that truck. I cant beleive they could sell a truck that is such a peice of crap.
Right there with ya....We're about to get another 2011 dmax at work...the last 07 has 170k on it and its a pos. Shakes and shudders. It runs decent still. Ill give it that. Our 09 has 91k on it and is still nice. The first 2011 we have is approaching the 10k mile mark already and has used twice the urea it should have. It runs good and stops a little better than the older trucks but it still needs work. Im waiting for the driveshaft to come through the floor some morning when we're pulling the trailer. What can you expect for 55 grand though? I wouldnt ever buy one. POS.

2000 F250 4x4 cc/sb. 6" w/37's and some other stuff.
post #60 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 08:39 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Right there with ya....We're about to get another 2011 dmax at work...the last 07 has 170k on it and its a pos. Shakes and shudders. It runs decent still. Ill give it that. Our 09 has 91k on it and is still nice. The first 2011 we have is approaching the 10k mile mark already and has used twice the urea it should have. It runs good and stops a little better than the older trucks but it still needs work. Im waiting for the driveshaft to come through the floor some morning when we're pulling the trailer. What can you expect for 55 grand though? I wouldnt ever buy one. POS.
I drove a new 6.7 and a new lml yesterday. The engine and trans in the 6.7 seemed very confused.the 6.7 also woul feel very strong the instant it down shifted but it kinda fell on it's face.the dmax didn't have that instant spoolup but then pulled harder. In 2006 ford did recieve 18,billion dollar loan. So go buy a Toyota that would probably put more money back in the economy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode