Ford Hitch fits short bed - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Ford Hitch fits short bed

When we ordered mine, we found out you could not get the hitch prep-package on a short bed. You also had to delete the chrome bed tie hooks if you got a spray-in liner. So, we ordered the truck without the hitch and without the liner, then went to the parts counter and took a gamble and ordered the parts that encompased the hitch prep-package assuming we could make it work.

We looked at it today and the holes are in the frame, the short bed is already stamped out flat where the holes come through, and the whole hitch plate is one piece so there's no worry of alignment or any other issue that we can see.

Why we couldn't order it, I don't understand.

But, doing it this way, the dealer is pulling the bed, cutting the holes, spraying the liner with the bed off the truck and installing the hitch while it's off. This way all the chrome hooks stay in place and the bed bolts will not be coated.

new truck.jpg

new truck 2.jpg

DSC05272.JPG

DSC05277.JPG

DSC05276.JPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 12:08 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Ford Hitch fits short bed

good looking truck bob man real good looking

2011 F-350 Crew Cab Long Bed FX4 King Ranch
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 03:44 PM
PSN Local

Sounds like you've got one hell of a dealer Bob!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 04:01 PM
<==Twin Turbo

Is it just me but it looks so funny with no bed on it, like 2 feet shorter

2002 F250 T444E R.I.P. 7-14-08
1992 F250 7.3IDI 5spd 4X4
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 04:36 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker

I think the reason Ford wont sell it that way is because with a short bed and a 5th wheel you can hit the cab of the truck.

My uncle has did this with his 06 short bed and 5th wheel. Turned really sharp and the front corner of the 5th wheel his and put a little ding in the back corner section of the cab.

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 05:01 PM
FNG

Im not so sure its ford that wont sell it that way. I just talked to my salesman.

Asked if I could get the 5th wheel package with the shortbed. He said sure but it wont be a slider.

I think most of these are cases of salesmen not knowing any better

Dave G

06 F250 Lariat 4x4 leveled on 35s

4 inch flowmaster exhaust
Bulletproof diesel egr delete.
Bulletproof diesel FICM
Performance Machine & Manufacturing Coolant Filter Kit

ECM and FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes from Gearhead, Innovative and Wildman
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

You know, I've been towing so long with a short bed, that I forget I had to make adjustments to the trailers I had made. I'm sure that's why.

Dave, Your dealer is wrong. The order form specifically states not available on short bed.

tons0torque , Yes I do.

FordSuperDuty05, Thanks!

Bob
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 07:52 PM
THE ONE AND ONLY!

Send a message via AIM to Big K Send a message via MSN to Big K Send a message via Yahoo to Big K

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_stroker View Post
I think the reason Ford wont sell it that way is because with a short bed and a 5th wheel you can hit the cab of the truck.

My uncle has did this with his 06 short bed and 5th wheel. Turned really sharp and the front corner of the 5th wheel his and put a little ding in the back corner section of the cab.
This is correct....they want to PROTECT customers sometimes from themselves....and it can be VERY easy to mess up a new truck when you don't know what you are doing and towing with a Short Bed

Kevin "Big K" Neal
President and Webmaster
North Texas Power Stroke Association

972-768-7252
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 07:53 PM
THE ONE AND ONLY!

Send a message via AIM to Big K Send a message via MSN to Big K Send a message via Yahoo to Big K

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELSITE View Post
Dave, Your dealer is wrong. The order form specifically states not available on short bed.
Bob is Correct...Your dealer is just trying to sell you something that he can't get...at least not FACTORY...maybe installed there at the dealership....

Kevin "Big K" Neal
President and Webmaster
North Texas Power Stroke Association

972-768-7252
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 01:36 PM
PSN Veteran

Truck looks good Bob! Im sure you will have it in Gainesville in a couple of weeks. Ford has some silly ordering guidelines I swear...wtf do chrome tow hooks have to do with a spray in bedliner...breeze! Atleast the dealer got you taken care of and you get everything you wanted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode