Helping out Japan.. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
<----Nice headlights!!!

Helping out Japan..

Let me start by saying I do feel bad and wonder about the people in Japan from time to time. Its bad when there is an earthquake anywhere. Japan got f'n hammered, no doubt!

I had a guy come to my door about fifteen minutes ago who was asking "how much money will you contribute to Japan?" I asked him for what. He got pretty vocal and said "Jesus, man, you dont know whats going on over there?" I said yeah they had an earthquake and people died and property was destroyed. "well dont you feel some responsibilty to help." I told him no. I said I used to THROW money at these organizations to 'help' the causes.

I got involved in a NPO called 'play for peace' a few years ago and we would have fundraisers in order to schedule these get togethers for kids in wartorn countries. For example, flying kids from northern & southern Ireland over to chicago and have a carnival setup in a hotel for them. It was great, it made you upset, but they had a ball. Their goal was to interrupt the blind hatred the opposing sides had for one another. Things is, more involved I got the more pissed I got because we'd raise hundreds of thousands of dollars and then the chairmen would have 'meetings' where we'd go, suit and tie, to these expensive hotel lounges and drink, eat steak and lobster dinners and then use the fundraisers money to pay for the gluttony and drinking which led to more unprofessional [email protected] happening. Left a really bad taste in my mouth dealing with these two faced fukkers.

I also went down to N'awlins after Hurricane Katrina hit. Myself and two other guys took p/u trucks with trailers down. I had a skiddy on mine and fuel supples etc...Another guys setup was identical to mine. Third guy had an enclosed that was going to be our office/quarters/shelter. We were there a week and got lots cleaned up and gave lots of people rides to whereever they said they needed to go. Then we almost got mugged. People down there wouldnt help you help them. They'd get pissed if you started pushing river mud away from their property. It was like they were saying "screw you for helping me, screw you if you dont." Had people ask me for my truck. WTF? No you cant have a 50k dollar personal vehicle. They'd get pissed when you told em no. We stayed a month then left and decided we'd had enough and these people dont want it or dont deserve the help. Just the impression I got.

My point is it seems like every good deed is preceded and superceded by several dishonest ones. Why should I give somebody I dont know cash to 'give' to Japan? He's probably going to buy a hotel room, food, drinks, and entertain himself out of it anyway.

There are people locally that I give to. My family purchased snowpants for kids this past winter that werent allowed to play outside with the other kids during recesses because the school requires them so the kiddies arent wet when they come in. Which makes sense to me. I dont consider myself wealthy but I can get $$ together when a kid needs something. Where does this stop though? I dont mind helping kids or people out that cant help themselves but what of these parents who dress nicely and their kids dont have snowpants, or pencils, or this or that? WTF?

You feel bad for people but then feel like you're takin' it in the shorts when you do help them. Am I being an [email protected] or are charities a bunch of self-serving greed on wheels? This #### really bothers me but I just dont see it helping but rather enabling the people that should be helping their own kids. I do know Ill never give to another big charity again. Too many grubby mitts!

ANybody else have some feelings on these matters?

2000 F250 4x4 cc/sb. 6" w/37's and some other stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 04:11 PM
<-- it's like that

Re: Helping out Japan..

I think you're dead on.

Some organizations are good, others do exactly what you have seen. Problem is, it takes a lot of researching to find out who the good ones are, and randomly giving money to some kid at your door isn't always the best way.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 04:16 PM
bring the chain

f#@k japan

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Hate 'R Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
I think you're dead on.

Some organizations are good, others do exactly what you have seen. Problem is, it takes a lot of researching to find out who the good ones are, and randomly giving money to some kid at your door isn't always the best way.
+1

My Communication Professor and advisor from undergrad is married to a Japanese woman. He has lots of friends and family over there. He started a collection of money, blankets, and other supplies. That's who I donated to.

Sure we didn't raise the most money or gather the most supplies but I at least know that 100% of that aid went to who it was supposed to go to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 04:18 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle43335 View Post
f#@k japan
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 04:20 PM
PSN Veteran

Well they are sending letters to dealers, that some parts are either not avalible or very limited. for some model cars.

It may be good for us. if they cant fix or build parts there, they may add the jobs here, BUT if not That will mean more sales for US.

04 F250 4x4, 2.5 front level kit, 4" MBRP, Banks Inter cooler, Home made coolant filter, Insight monitor, Nathan K5l horns, ten gal air tank, harpooned, Fumuto valve, custom stripes and decals.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 04:30 PM
<--Spy Vs. Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle43335 View Post
f#@k japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSmoker318 View Post
I bet you faggots won't say that to my face.

228-365-0698
Sheep only have two speeds, 'grazing' and 'stampede'.
Regulated Returns are on SALE!!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 05:21 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
Let me start by saying I do feel bad and wonder about the people in Japan from time to time. Its bad when there is an earthquake anywhere. Japan got f'n hammered, no doubt!

I had a guy come to my door about fifteen minutes ago who was asking "how much money will you contribute to Japan?" I asked him for what. He got pretty vocal and said "Jesus, man, you dont know whats going on over there?" I said yeah they had an earthquake and people died and property was destroyed. "well dont you feel some responsibilty to help." I told him no. I said I used to THROW money at these organizations to 'help' the causes.

I got involved in a NPO called 'play for peace' a few years ago and we would have fundraisers in order to schedule these get togethers for kids in wartorn countries. For example, flying kids from northern & southern Ireland over to chicago and have a carnival setup in a hotel for them. It was great, it made you upset, but they had a ball. Their goal was to interrupt the blind hatred the opposing sides had for one another. Things is, more involved I got the more pissed I got because we'd raise hundreds of thousands of dollars and then the chairmen would have 'meetings' where we'd go, suit and tie, to these expensive hotel lounges and drink, eat steak and lobster dinners and then use the fundraisers money to pay for the gluttony and drinking which led to more unprofessional [email protected] happening. Left a really bad taste in my mouth dealing with these two faced fukkers.

I also went down to N'awlins after Hurricane Katrina hit. Myself and two other guys took p/u trucks with trailers down. I had a skiddy on mine and fuel supples etc...Another guys setup was identical to mine. Third guy had an enclosed that was going to be our office/quarters/shelter. We were there a week and got lots cleaned up and gave lots of people rides to whereever they said they needed to go. Then we almost got mugged. People down there wouldnt help you help them. They'd get pissed if you started pushing river mud away from their property. It was like they were saying "screw you for helping me, screw you if you dont." Had people ask me for my truck. WTF? No you cant have a 50k dollar personal vehicle. They'd get pissed when you told em no. We stayed a month then left and decided we'd had enough and these people dont want it or dont deserve the help. Just the impression I got.

My point is it seems like every good deed is preceded and superceded by several dishonest ones. Why should I give somebody I dont know cash to 'give' to Japan? He's probably going to buy a hotel room, food, drinks, and entertain himself out of it anyway.

There are people locally that I give to. My family purchased snowpants for kids this past winter that werent allowed to play outside with the other kids during recesses because the school requires them so the kiddies arent wet when they come in. Which makes sense to me. I dont consider myself wealthy but I can get $$ together when a kid needs something. Where does this stop though? I dont mind helping kids or people out that cant help themselves but what of these parents who dress nicely and their kids dont have snowpants, or pencils, or this or that? WTF?

You feel bad for people but then feel like you're takin' it in the shorts when you do help them. Am I being an [email protected] or are charities a bunch of self-serving greed on wheels? This #### really bothers me but I just dont see it helping but rather enabling the people that should be helping their own kids. I do know Ill never give to another big charity again. Too many grubby mitts!

ANybody else have some feelings on these matters?
Wow! Someone that feels the same way as me, I went to Mississippi last year and did 2 weeks of volunteer service, till I left I was saying "screw all you stupid n*ggers". All the kids did was stand around and bs while the old people worked and they all thought we owed it to them to build them a free house......

Official PSN special needs duramax guy! ASE cert. mastertech 2004 LB7, Efi-live with tunes from THE idahorob, s366 from EPR, head studs, Dmax-4 transmission kit, airdog 165, tie rod sleeves, intake, exhaust, gauges.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 09:28 PM
bring the chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSLEEPER View Post
I bet you faggots won't say that to my face.
you know i will.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
<----Nice headlights!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSmoker318 View Post
Im glad you speak your mind but thats a little harsh...borderline ridiculous. Ive got NO beef with Japanese/Chinese/Asian people. Why do you feel that way?

I dont think people should throw money at the situation w/o knowing where its going. Like the guy above knew his professor was married to a Japanese woman and that his contributions would be well used.

As an aside, I cant imagine what those people over there are going through. Its gotta be tough. That was a motherfukker of an earthquake series. I dont wish that on anyone. People would feel differently if it happened in the US Im sure.

2000 F250 4x4 cc/sb. 6" w/37's and some other stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode