Did freeing Iraq start the revolutions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Dairy Mechanic

Did freeing Iraq start the revolutions

I ran this by Gandy and thought I would start a thread on it.

After Iraq was freed from a brutal dictator that lead to a more free Islamic country, did other people around the region see that could happen in their country. Be able to do more of what they want, get paid more, and not be scared of their own government.

Thoughts??

96 Ford F-350 200 cc's, Electric fuel system, TS chip, 17 oil pump, Banks intercooler, 3" intake manifolds, SNOW Water-Meth system, South Bend DxD 3600, Banks brake, 4" stacks. Tuff country ladder bars.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IH RULES Not a 6.0 fan, engine out right now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 02:52 AM
Gandy Dancer

Re: Did freeing Iraq start the revolutions

As much as the Bush apologists (not saying you're one Magnum) would like it to be so, I don't think what happened in Iraq had a darn thing to do with what is going on now.

After all, to most of those in the ME the United States is actually a foreign country occupying one of their own.

I believe it is a combination of a lot of things, with the people being tired of living a bare existence while the elite few have it made....being one of the prime reasons.

What we have to keep in mind, is that a lot of the countries that are experiencing unrest, are ones which have pretty tough dictators/Kings that we have helped put in.....and keep in power.

Here's an opinion piece that I think brings up some excellent points.

Click Here

Quote:
However, this much widespread resentment and pent-up collective rage is not something that can be easily fabricated. It is far more likely that anger over the feudal governing tactics of dictators in the Arab world (many of which were installed or supported by U.S. and European interests) is very real, and has been building for quite some time.

So then, why are Western governments applauding the overthrow of despots they themselves placed in power?

Another big factor in my opinion, is that the internet lets people see what's out there in the great big world....and they want some of it.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 03:01 AM
R.I.P. DAD

Not sure but I probably doubt it. I would just think all those years of it they finally had enough.

08 6.4 lots of stuff.

R.I.P. TMCS (SS) Brooks R Newell, I will forever miss you.

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'

-Ronald Reagan

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Dairy Mechanic

Just a thought.

Was wondering if it was one the first dominos to fall. Along with Yasir Arafat dying. But not an expert.

96 Ford F-350 200 cc's, Electric fuel system, TS chip, 17 oil pump, Banks intercooler, 3" intake manifolds, SNOW Water-Meth system, South Bend DxD 3600, Banks brake, 4" stacks. Tuff country ladder bars.

IH RULES Not a 6.0 fan, engine out right now.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 03:25 AM
Caption This

Freeing Iraq from what?

Just today I visited with someone who once worked for me, he was born in Iraq. His father was born in Iraq and all of his family except for his mother and father still live in Iraq. They talk to family members almost daily. Life is far from pleasant there. I don't think a lot of people are looking at Iraq and thinking "damn I wish I could be like them".

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 04:47 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PD View Post
... and not be scared of their own government.

Thoughts??
Travel abroad and find out what it is like to be scared of whatever government you find yourself in...real eye-opening experience.

From my experiences on the dark continent there are a lot of actions based on, "Hey, look what they're doing, we can do that too!" only to wind up with the status quo being changed and a whole bunch of people asking themselves, "Now what?". The world is watching that question get answered in real time.

2000 F350 PSD, 4X4, CC, LB, 6-speed/ PHP Tuning /1.0 Turbo (no wastegate) with WW/ 4" turbo back exhaust/ AIS Intake with fender sleeve/ Isspro EV gauges/

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Junior Mint

The opposite. Our invasion of a soverign Middle Eastern nation made it less likely that these people would break lose and revolt and it served to strengthen the Muslim extremist cause. We gave them a united common enemy. We created so many enemies in that region that they naturally want to be the very opposite of what we are and represent. The fact that the entire regions positive views of the USA has plummeted in that region during the invasions is all the proof that is needed.

I'm officially...Stroke-less.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz

I know this is way off topic, but is a revolution in China in the making?

2002 F-250 CCSB Lariat 4x4 7.3 Mostly stock... for now

2003 Ford Ranger Fx4 Level ll Sonic Blue with 33s"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamfighter View Post
I'm getting it in the can right now!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 04:54 PM
PSN Veteran

Modern communications started it. Internet, Facebook, twitter etc. Those people want to be free. They want to be like us.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 04:55 PM
id: 5520

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N View Post
I know this is way off topic, but is a revolution in China in the making?
If they did they would all be killed in about three hours.. North Korea maybe..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode