Who pays... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Junior Mint

Who pays...

The following is a true story and just unfolded over the last few days.

A friend of mine was in a very bad accident. Put bluntly, he is mangled.

He definitely isn't rich but makes a better living than most for certain. He has a small house that is financed. He is self employed and does pay sales and incomes tax and works full time as does his wife. They have an infant as well. He has 2 older Ford diesels, one stock, one heavily modified. He usually carries health insurance but he was in between policies apparently for just about 20 days before the new plan kicked in.

I'm just guessing on the cost of his hospital stay but I know what my little broken back w/ no surgery at all cost ($40K) just 4 months ago. His back was so shattered they had to cut out one of his ribs and enter that way to do the surgery. They had to use part of the rib to put his L1 back together. His arm/ wrist was so shattered that the surgery took over 6 hours. I can only imagine that the medical bills will be between $80-200K.

Realistically he could probably pay it off over a period of many years but ultimately he would be trading his families financial future to pay the hospital back. We don't have debtor's prison in the USA, they won't take his house. His only punishment will be ruined credit.

So who pays for his medical bills ultimately? It's a rhetorical question of course but it's time people began to understand what actually happens to 95% of the uninsured's bills.

Thoughts?

I'm officially...Stroke-less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:33 AM
CDP
^^ Not Cobbs

Send a message via Skype™ to CDP
Re: Who pays...

Most of them will waive alot of the fees. Due to a hard ship tell him to get an itemized bill too they will throw alot of stuff in for ####s and giggles....
post #3 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:35 AM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
Thoughts?
Universal health care.

I can't wait for the "tough titty" crowd to show up.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.

post #4 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:37 AM
FNG

Who was his former carrier? What state was this friend in?

Why didnt he get COBRA coverage for the 20 days?

Dave G

06 F250 Lariat 4x4 leveled on 35s

4 inch flowmaster exhaust
Bulletproof diesel egr delete.
Bulletproof diesel FICM
Performance Machine & Manufacturing Coolant Filter Kit

ECM and FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes from Gearhead, Innovative and Wildman
post #5 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Junior Mint

They can say tough titty all that they want but it doesn't change the fact that we all pay for the uninsured anyways thru increased taxes and medical costs as this is how hospitals make up these short falls.

This is why anyone w/o Health Insurance can unintentionally become a freeloader/ welfare receipent at any moment due to an accident. Half the people arguing against UHC don't even have Health Insurance! Them and their type ARE the problem. Accidents happen.

The only fair system is to require everyone to buy Health Insurance. We don't let people pick and choose if they want to pay for access to our roads, defense, the services of the FDA, air traffic controllers, etc... We all have to pay for it because we all could benefit from it at any time. Healthcare is the same thing. Any of us could unexpectedly need unaffordable healthcare at absolutely any moment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:48 AM
Hate 'R Us

I could use $20 on Friday, can you send it to me?

post #7 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Junior Mint

Dave,

I don't know.

Texas.

I can't say except like all of us, he was probably trying to save a buck where he could. Also, for the self-employed I'm not certain that COBRA is available. My understanding was that his 6 month policy ran out and his wife's company was to pick him up at the first of the month or something.

Don't miss the point however. His particular circumstance however is unimportant. Even if he is a millionaire and pays it off cash tomorrow (not likely) the vast majority of bills created by the uninsured do not get paid by the patient, ever.

post #8 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!PainTrain!!! View Post
I could use $20 on Friday, can you send it to me?
You, of course, miss the point entirely.

As a local resident to the person that was injured I will DEFINITELY pay in the form of property taxes a portion of his bill to the local county hospital. As an insured person I pay more for all of my services that I receive, and my company pays more for my health insurance which ultimately effects my ability to get a higher salary. And of course the Feds kick into the County Hospital system as well so everyone here will pay some as well.

I'd be okay w/ all of this IF everyone that didn't have health insurance was taxed to automatically enroll them in an insurance plan. It's a bonus that the VA and other government ran health insurance plans operate much cheaper and more effectively than the private insurance system even if the care isn't as luxurious.

post #9 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:14 AM
Yeah, it's like that

What kind of accident was it? If it was a vehicle accident, wouldn't his insurance cover part of this bill? Was he a dumb ass and didn't have vehicle insurance? BTW that would be against the law at least in my state. I switched health insurance companies before, but I always made sure that they over lapped or I had a temporary coverage till the new plan kicked in. If I remember right, the temp insurance was cheaper than my regular insurance, because I wanted to just stay on the temp insurance but they have x amount of time you can be on it 90 days I think? So your friend shouldn't be held responsible for being a dumb ass? People shouldn't be held accountable for their own actions? Is it my problem that creditors will come after his assets? This is why we should have universal health care?

Entrepreneurs and their small enterprises are responsible for almost all the economic growth in the United States.
Ronald Reagan
post #10 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:16 AM
Yeah, it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Gandy View Post

I can't wait for the "tough titty" crowd to show up.

Just checking in

Entrepreneurs and their small enterprises are responsible for almost all the economic growth in the United States.
Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode