FDA knew of tainted wipes that killed two year old - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

FDA knew of tainted wipes that killed two year old

FDA knew of problems at plant that made tainted wipes - Health - Infectious diseases - msnbc.com

Quote:
The death of a 2-year-old Houston boy from a rare infection blamed on contaminated alcohol wipes may be only the first casualty tied to allegedly shoddy sterilization practices by a Wisconsin medical products firm.

Since msnbc.com reported Feb. 15 about the death of Harrison Kothari , who was infected with the same type of rare bacteria that sparked the recall of tens of millions of pads and swabs, dozens of people have stepped forward to say they may have been sickened, too.

At the same time, government documents obtained by msnbc.com showed that federal Food and Drug Administration inspectors knew about problems with contamination and sterilization at a plant run by the Triad Group of Hartland, Wis., as early as July 2009.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Gandy Dancer

Re: FDA knew of tainted wipes that killed two year old

It sounds like the FDA fell down on their follow up...and shame on them for it.

Some may point and say this is a reason to get rid of the FDA.

I say without the FDA, the problems would not have been found in the first place.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

I am sure the FDA finding the problem will be very comforting.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsRumors View Post
I am sure the FDA finding the problem will be very comforting.
You prefer ignorance of the problem?

Tightening up the reporting and follow up action, is a whole lot easier than depending on companies reporting things like themselves.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
I can be possible.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Gandy View Post
You prefer ignorance of the problem?
That is what we had....isn't it? Not until a child died did this come to light and it wasn't due to the FDA. So we spent mass amounts of money keeping people employed that aren't doing their job....repeatedly.

Quote:
Tightening up the reporting and follow up action, is a whole lot easier than depending on companies reporting things like themselves.
You'll be surprised...I disagree.....I don't think the Feds are capable of "tightening up the reporting and follow up action". They have shown a propensity to drop the ball on so many levels I believe they are to the point that they are to large to control.

We will probably increase the oversight by growing the department but I highly doubt anything will change.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
That is what we had....isn't it? Not until a child died did this come to light and it wasn't due to the FDA. So we spent mass amounts of money keeping people employed that aren't doing their job....repeatedly.

You'll be surprised...I disagree.....I don't think the Feds are capable of "tightening up the reporting and follow up action". They have shown a propensity to drop the ball on so many levels I believe they are to the point that they are to large to control.

We will probably increase the oversight by growing the department but I highly doubt anything will change.
Are you saying that since the FDA fell down here, they should just go away?

Regardless of the things that they have caught?

Really?

Quote:
I can be possible.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Yeah, it's like that

Quote:
Are you saying that since the FDA fell down here, they should just go away?

Regardless of the things that they have caught?

Really?
Inspections should be ran through an independent privately owned company. Not that companies are responsible for their own inspections, that would be like leaving the fox to guard the hen house. But, I guarantee that if a private company was responsible for inspections, this would have been fixed asap, they couldn't afford to be liable for being benign. Now the FDA is a gov't identity, they are kinda above the law, good luck trying to sue them for something they are liable for and if for some reason you actually did win (good luck with that) you are suing yourself and end up having to pay that much more in taxes.

Before you go down the "well if it was a independent private company the inspections could be bought off" road, you honestly don't think that is happening at the gov't level?

Gov't isn't the answer for a lot of things, it is usually the problem in the first place. The private sector can usually do it more efficiently and at a cheaper cost.

Entrepreneurs and their small enterprises are responsible for almost all the economic growth in the United States.
Ronald Reagan
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Underwriters Laboratories is a perfect example of the government staying out

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Underwriters Laboratories is a perfect example of the government staying out
Hardly.

They have absolutely no regulatory power...............to fix/stop a dangerous product.

That's like saying Good Housekeeping has the power to regulate.

Quote:
I can be possible.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hardly.

They have absolutely no regulatory power...............to fix/stop a dangerous product.

That's like saying Good Housekeeping has the power to regulate.
Good Housekeeping and UL are two completely different types of entities....An electrical product being brought to market must pass certain safety requirements. UL is an authorized test facility and if it doesn't pass their tests it doesn't come to market.

I think there are two other laboratories that have been approved for the same testing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode