Miss. license plate proposed to honor KKK leader - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Miss. license plate proposed to honor KKK leader

Miss. license plate proposed to honor KKK leader | ajc.com

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. A fight is brewing in Mississippi over a proposal to issue specialty license plates honoring Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, who was an early leader of the Ku Klux Klan.

The Mississippi Division of Sons of Confederate Veterans wants to sponsor a series of state-issued license plates to mark the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, which it calls the "War Between the States." The group proposes a different design each year between now and 2015, with Forrest slated for 2014.

"Seriously?" state NAACP president Derrick Johnson said when he was told about the Forrest plate. "Wow."

Forrest, a Tennessee native, is revered by some as a military genius and reviled by others for leading the 1864 massacre of black Union troops at Fort Pillow, Tenn. Forrest was a Klan grand wizard in Tennessee after the war.
Quote:
Johnson, with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said he's not bothered by Civil War commemorative license plates generally. But he said Mississippi shouldn't honor Forrest, who was an early leader of what he calls "a terrorist group."

"He should be viewed in the same light that we view Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden," Johnson said of Forrest. "The state of Mississippi should deny any vanity tags which would highlight racial hatred in this state."

Democratic Rep. Willie Bailey, who handles license plate requests in the House, said he has no problem with SCV seeking any design it wants.

"If they want a tag commemorating veterans of the Confederacy, I don't have a problem with it," said Bailey, who is black. "They have that right. We'll look at it. As long as it's not offensive to anybody, then they have the same rights as anybody else has."

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Olde gear jammer

Location: Barton City Mi, under a rock or a log, where the skies are sometimes cloudy all day.
Re: Miss. license plate proposed to honor KKK leader

I'm afraid I'm with Johnson, wow. Give it up guys, ya lost, get over it.

Another nonaligned spokesperson.

Good stuff, trucks bring it!

I don't care if my thread goes off topic, it's all BS anyway!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:26 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

Here we go again with the racism ####.

If it was me I would release the plate in february...but thats just me.

Just one more thing for the NAACP to whine about.

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PMRCM#1

post #4 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:27 PM
blame the dog..

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnday View Post
I'm afraid I'm with Johnson, wow. Give it up guys, ya lost, get over it.
In their minds, they didn't lose.

There's just been a cease-fire for 150 years..

Quote:
This site needs new newbs.
post #5 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Don't judge me...

Some people would be offended no matter who was on the plates. I guarantee most people don't even know who Forrest is.

'02 cclb duallie, much work to be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpavement View Post
Suspect all you want hommie but I swear to Jesus himself, if I walk in on you in that pose and you got a chick ass and a chick body.... I'm shuttin off the lights and takin you straight to pound town!
post #6 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Olde gear jammer

Location: Barton City Mi, under a rock or a log, where the skies are sometimes cloudy all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi7615 View Post
Some people would be offended no matter who was on the plates. I guarantee most people don't even know who Forrest is.
Oh, I'll admit I didn't, but still, I'm about as WASP as one could be, but yeah, it seems racist to me. Why not just put some type of plate out there that most people would/could accept and recognize as a real accomplishment, instead of stirring up any sort of debate? You know, something that the state has contributed to the whole of the U.S. in a more favourable way?
Not trying to be funny or demeaning, but how about something relating to farming down there. Mississippi is one of the few states that grows rice as an example,or catfish farming.

Another nonaligned spokesperson.

Good stuff, trucks bring it!

I don't care if my thread goes off topic, it's all BS anyway!!!
post #7 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:16 PM
TennesseeHillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi7615 View Post
Wisest words so far......

This has become the United States of the Offended.....if you don't fukn' like it......try this...IGNORE it.....

Hell....white people are forced to be exposed to all kinds of politically correct sh!t they don't like.......but if they complain, they're a g0dam racist......

Early '99 F250, 4X4, SuperCab, "PowerStroke", Auto,
PMT1 PCM, DP 80 tow
ISSPRO gauges
BDS front leveling kit
4" straight piped
Sinister pre-pump mod w/filter
Dick Cepek DC1 w/ Nitto Terra Grappler 325/65R18,

Annoy A Liberal....... Work Hard and Be Happy!
Please dont call me white or Caucasian. It offends me.
post #8 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:30 PM
PSN Local

Just one more thing for the rest of the country to give us sh!t about.

The county that I live in was named after Forrest and I didn't know about his clan ties.I just knew about his military career.

I don't see this happening honestly,but I could be wrong.
post #9 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:42 PM
All done now

He was a Military genius.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
post #10 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Gandy Dancer

For those who don't think it is a big deal, would you have a problem if it was Eldridge Cleaver instead?

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode