Social Security changes in 2011 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Social Security changes in 2011

There are more but this pretty well sums it up for me. It's not going away, it's going to be more of a burden to everybody...everybody that pays taxes anyways...

Quote:
The Social Security system's finances are not expected to be harmed because the trust fund will be reimbursed for the full amount of the tax break from the general fund of the Treasury. However, this change also means that the Social Security trust fund will no longer be completely funded directly by citizen contributions. "This pretty much ends the claim that Social Security is self-financing or that it doesn't contribute to the budget deficit," says Andrew Biggs, a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute and a former deputy commissioner of the Social Security Administration.
Social Security changes for 2011

Discuss.

2000 F350 PSD, 4X4, CC, LB, 6-speed/ PHP Tuning /1.0 Turbo (no wastegate) with WW/ 4" turbo back exhaust/ AIS Intake with fender sleeve/ Isspro EV gauges/

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 06:57 PM

Re: Social Security changes in 2011

Quote:
Social Security trust fund will no longer be completely funded directly by citizen contributions
SS is not solely funded by citizen contributions.....companies pay in as well.

I am very happy to have the 2% going into my 401k as compared to "my" SS account. I feel much more comfortable thinking I will see something in return as compared to paying into a broken system.

Ida May Fuller, the first person to receive a SS check. It was in the ammount of $22.54...She only payed in $24.75. Over her life time she collected $22,888.92

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 10:12 PM
<-- it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsRumors View Post
Ida May Fuller, the first person to receive a SS check. It was in the ammount of $22.54...She only payed in $24.75. Over her life time she collected $22,888.92
And what about the millions of people who contributed to SS through most of their lives, and never collected a single penny back?

Furthermore, you failed to mention the details of Ida May Fuller. She retired in November 1939 at the age of 65 years old, and lived to be 100 years old. She started collecting Social Security in 1940, and paid into SS for 3 years. That 3 years also happens to be the same amount of time that Social Security started collecting payroll taxes (began in 1937). So in reality, Fuller paid all 3 years that she was eligible to pay into SS, retired at the usual age of 65, and just so happened to live well beyond the expected life span that was average back then (she lived to be 100 years old). In case anyone was wondering, the average life span for a woman in 1940 was 65.2 years.

Yet this isn't the first time you've used Ida May Fuller as some sort of "example". Problem is, you continue to leave out the important details in an effort to insert bias and skew the facts. Face it, it's just like insurance. Some people collect from insurance more than what they put in, some people collect less. The same goes for Social Security. Some people live much longer than expected, and collect over their lifetime more than what they put in. Others pay into SS for most of their career, then die before retiring and never collect a single penny from SS.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 10:34 PM
id: 5520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
And what about the millions of people who contributed to SS through most of their lives, and never collected a single penny back?
True.. Here is the problem, (at least in my state and many more I'm sure).. There are way too many people that have worked a few years and collect SSDI for the rest of there lives because they have become "disabled" and are able to make $900.00 per month without it affecting there SSDI payment.. Most of these people also qualify for food stamps, Medicare buyin, heat assistance among other benifits that working people can not qualify for.. There are also LOTS of people that never paid income taxes and collect SSI for life.. I'm not saying there are not people who need the help but, it's getting out of hand IMO.. Doctor's are partly to blame...

Also the people on SSI have never worked a day in there life and have the best healthcare for FREE.. The people that have worked and paid into the system all there lives receive Medicare and frankly, Medicare sucks.. It costs $110.50 per month, no precription drug coverage unless you pay $40-$80 extra each month, no dental coverage.. The Advantage plans also suck..

SSDI, SSI and Medicare are all fuked up, period..
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 10:55 PM
My other twin turbo...

My wife, who disposed of me, is entitled to the same amount of ss that I get when we retire. Even though she spent the majority of her self employed career underreporting her income, because she lasted 10 years with me, she gets the same as me. I was dating a woman who was receiving a small amount of child support from the deadbeat. He got a crazy disability from ss, and the next thing you know, she starts getting checks from ss for 900 a month. The country is loaded with "disabled" people who certainly could contribute and work like the rest of us.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 10:58 PM

[QUOTE=eleventhtruck;1328465]My wife, who disposed of me, is entitled to the same amount of ss that I get when we retire. Even though she spent the majority of her self employed career underreporting her income, because she lasted 10 years with me, she gets the same as me. I was dating a woman who was receiving a small amount of child support from the deadbeat. He got a crazy disability from ss, and the next thing you know, she starts getting checks from ss for 900 a month. The country is loaded with "disabled" people who certainly could contribute and work like the rest of us.[/QUOTE]

That's a fact..
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 10:58 PM
<-- it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsah View Post
True.. Here is the problem, (at least in my state and many more I'm sure).. There are way too many people that have worked a few years and collect SSDI for the rest of there lives because they have become "disabled" and are able to make $900.00 per month without it affecting there SSDI payment.. Most of these people also qualify for food stamps, Medicare buyin, heat assistance among other benifits that working people can not qualify for.. There are also LOTS of people that never paid income taxes and collect SSI for life.. I'm not saying there are not people who need the help but, it's getting out of hand IMO.. Doctor's are partly to blame...

Also the people on SSI have never worked a day in there life and have the best healthcare for FREE.. The people that have worked and paid into the system all there lives receive Medicare and frankly, Medicare sucks.. It costs $110.50 per month, no precription drug coverage unless you pay $40-$80 extra each month, no dental coverage.. The Advantage plans also suck..

SSDI, SSI and Medicare are all fuked up, period..
I don't disagree at all.

And I don't really disagree with PsRumors. It's just he's using the same example he's tried to pawn off before. Find a better argument.

It's not the idea of SS that's bad, it's how it's implemented that's the problem. The idea that people pay into something that sometime in the future they will collect on to mitigate some sort of risk (financial risk in this scenario) is the exact same way insurance works. The implementation of how it's handled by our government, how it can be exploited, how it's wasteful, etc.... that's the part that drags it down.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree at all.

And I don't really disagree with PsRumors. It's just he's using the same example he's tried to pawn off before. Find a better argument.

It's not the idea of SS that's bad, it's how it's implemented that's the problem. The idea that people pay into something that sometime in the future they will collect on to mitigate some sort of risk (financial risk in this scenario) is the exact same way insurance works. The implementation of how it's handled by our government, how it can be exploited, how it's wasteful, etc.... that's the part that drags it down.

Agreed...
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 PM
hvac man

Quote:
I don't disagree at all.

But I thought Al Gore had the key's to some " lock box"?

Bruce
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:13 AM
My other twin turbo...

Quote:
I don't disagree at all.

I am with you on that. I think it is a wonderful program. I get the feeling that they have the numbers all figured out for the average man that works physically does not seem to live much into his retirement before passing. I will also be more than a little pissed if I am forced to contribute my entire working life and get told that they are too broke to give me any help when I need it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode