We just lost $473,830,939.10 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

We just lost $473,830,939.10

Citigroup posts $1.3 billion quarterly profit - Business - Eye on the Economy - Stocks & economy - msnbc.com

Quote:
NEW YORK Citigroup Inc posted a $1.3 billion quarterly profit on Tuesday, as the third-largest U.S. bank rounded off a year of recovery from the financial crisis.
But don't forget;

Tax Break Negates U.S. Profit from Citi's TARP Repayment - Money Morning

Quote:
The U.S. Treasury's Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on Friday made an exception to longtime tax rules that will enable Citi to avoid taxes on its next $38 billion in profits - the value of the bank's past losses at the end of the third quarter, The Washington Post reported.
So while many wanted to raise taxes on personal income don't forget they let others just slide with a wink and a nod.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Gandy Dancer

Re: We just lost $473,830,939.10

While I agree that it doesn't seem fair they get tax breaks, there are other considerations here.

Had Citi gone under, think about the jobs lost and the individual personal income tax that would not have been collected.

Not to mention the ripple effect on all the other banks/financial institutions.

Stepping back and looking at the big picture, even if we break even (or come out of it a little behind).......TARP loans were the right thing to do in my opinion.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Gandy View Post
While I agree that it doesn't seem fair they get tax breaks, there are other considerations here.

Had Citi gone under, think about the jobs lost and the individual personal income tax that would not have been collected.

Stepping back and looking at the big picture, even if we break even (or come out of it a little behind).......TARP loans were the right thing to do in my opinion.

We can speculate all day long.....IMHO had Citi "gone under" someone would have picked up their business....just like they did with WorldCom and Adelphia in the early 2000s. Companies would be chomping at the bit to take over that revenue and the only thing that would have changed would have been their name. No major interuptions for the business world.

The fact is we just gave up $473,830,939.10 in tax revenue (with more being given up in the future) when people advocate raising taxes on individuals.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:42 PM
PSN Local

Personally for the experience with citi with my family they should have gone under for shady business practices.

2000 7.3 f-250 4X4 CCSB
Mickey Thompson rims
Cooper Discoverer S/T tires
f350 front springs, add leaf and added overload in rear
Warn manual front hubs
Straight piped
AFE stage 1 kit
more power mods starting as $$ allows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:55 PM
really?!?

Hey, if I had a Congress in my pocket, I'd want a tax break too!
Golden rule is holding true- those with the gold still make the rules. The rest of us get to sort our own stuff out.

00 cc sb adrenaline Php some other stuff. Btw I hate this [email protected]#$$%! Phone
Needs some parts
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:53 PM
R.I.P. DAD

Quote:

I used to work for Citi, they've been going down the crapper behind closed doors for over 10 years, it's just in more recent years that its been pushed into the sunlight.

08 6.4 lots of stuff.

R.I.P. TMCS (SS) Brooks R Newell, I will forever miss you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'

-Ronald Reagan
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 11:48 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Love it... So we each gave $1.50 to citi bank...

Lost 473,839,900 divided by 311,909,000 (population of the US)...

And this was a good choice why? Because my taxes will go up? Because the banks needed our help? Because poor banks might not be able to buy that new sports arena...

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:24 AM
Gandy Dancer

I think the title of the thread is misleading a lot of people.

We didn't "lose" $473M.

If Citi goes belly up (and takes others with it), then they wouldn't even be in a position right now to pay taxes anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psRumors
We can speculate all day long.....IMHO had Citi "gone under" someone would have picked up their business....just like they did with WorldCom and Adelphia in the early 2000s. Companies would be chomping at the bit to take over that revenue and the only thing that would have changed would have been their name. No major interuptions for the business world.
Talk about "pure speculation?"

So tell us Ron, who would have eaten the losses from Citi?

You know damn well that there isn't a single bank.......... that would have bought them with their bad loans on the books.

So then we, the taxpayers take the hit.......without any chance of getting our money back.

Not to mention the additional employees laid off when they merged (it always happens) and the lost taxes and money stream they produce.

Quote:
The fact is we just gave up $473,830,939.10 in tax revenue (with more being given up in the future) when people advocate raising taxes on individuals.
The only people who look at it like that, are those who are myopic as to the big picture.

Don't get the idea that I was happy the way it was handled however....because I wasn't.

I'm not as worried about the tax break, as much as the fact the money was handed to them with very little oversight or controls.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I think the title of the thread is misleading a lot of people.

We didn't "lose" $473M.

If Citi goes belly up (and takes others with it), then they wouldn't even be in a position right now to pay taxes anyway.
More ifs.....like I said we can speculate all day. I remember Ford saying they couldn't make it without help and then....we all know what happened there.

Quote:
Talk about "pure speculation?"
Yup.....it was...it was my opinion of what would have happened.

Quote:
So tell us Ron, who would have eaten the losses from Citi?
Um....the same ones that are eating it now?

Quote:
You know damn well that there isn't a single bank.......... that would have bought them with their bad loans on the books.

So then we, the taxpayers take the hit.......without any chance of getting our money back.

Not to mention the additional employees laid off when they merged (it always happens) and the lost taxes and money stream they produce.
More speculation....we don't know what would have happened only what is happening

Quote:
The only people who look at it like that, are those who are myopic as to the big picture.
Nope not at all....in the big picture of things I think we are setting ourselves up for an even bigger hit with bigger losses.

What has changed? What have we learned? We are about to be back to business as usual....until the next time.

Quote:
Don't get the idea that I was happy the way it was handled however....because I wasn't.

I'm not as worried about the tax break, as much as the fact the money was handed to them with very little oversight or controls.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Banned

AKA Candyman, you really need to read "A Corporate Tragedy" by Barbara Marsh about International Harvestor. They were one of the largest corporations in the world. They were split up and sold. Do they exist today yes, the Truck and engine group remain as is today, but the solar division, construction division and ag division were all divided. If you think for one moment that citi wouldn't have been split up and sold, you are sadly mistaken. If you continue to bounce your mortgage check each month, do you think you will keep your house for long?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode