My town helping waste YOUR (Federal) money - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

My town helping waste YOUR (Federal) money

The Daily Tribune News - City pursues grant for Great Locomotive Chase mural

Quote:
The Cartersville City Council agreed Thursday night to endorse an application for a Rural Enterprise Grant for $99,000 to create a mural of the Great Locomotive Chase in downtown Cartersville on one condition: That they have a say on where the mural will go, if the grant is approved.
I know this is just an "application" but the town north of us and south of us (Adairsville & Emerson) both have been approved and it is a series of murals. We will get this, no doubt.

I know $300k out of the Federal budget is chump change in comparison but that is a lot of money for freaking murals. Not to mention that is just three towns. There is a series of murals planned for many small towns between Kennesaw, where the General resides, Chattanooga, where the General was recovered when it was stolen. About 100 miles of road.

Insane!

Rural Development, Business and Cooperative Programs

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Banned

Re: My town helping waste YOUR (Federal) money

The artsy fartsy folk need jobs too! I still remember when most of this was done as volunteer work? Where the hell has that gone? Now we have to compensate for this at what cost?! I wouldn't mind if it was say $10K or a little more, but that sounds too extreme. Someone's personal interest is being taken care of there?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 01:27 PM
PSN Newb

I am an Atlanta native and spent most of my life there. I have fond memories of going to Kennesaw to see the General. I am glad to see an interest in the history of the train chase, but not at that price. Those murals sound like Chamber of Commerce billboards more than they do history lessons.

I'd say its a waste of money.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9773 View Post
I am an Atlanta native and spent most of my life there. I have fond memories of going to Kennesaw to see the General. I am glad to see an interest in the history of the train chase, but not at that price. Those murals sound like Chamber of Commerce billboards more than they do history lessons.

I'd say its a waste of money.
The General is nice, grew up in Kennesaw. Very good local attraction.

My problem with all of this, if Cartersville wants a mural the citizens of Cartersville should pay for it. This is not something that every person in the nation should help pay for (Federal money).

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 02:03 PM
TennesseeHillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsRumors View Post

My problem with all of this, if Cartersville wants a mural the citizens of Cartersville should pay for it. This is not something that every person in the nation should help pay for (Federal money).
Wherever one resides, doesn't matter where, one thinks that it's the most important place there is. It's human nature. So those who live there aren't concerned so much about whether or not it's wasteful spending, they just want it.

Our entire society seems to be geared that way. I'm afraid that soon there will come a day of reckoning in which projects like these won't seem so important compared to the need, and lack, of basic human necessities.

BTW my daughter's in-laws live in Cartesville and I've been there several times......traditional, charming, good old, Southern town! I'd rather see my tax dollars go for something like this rather than pissin it away to a bunch of dead-beat illegals!

Early '99 F250, 4X4, SuperCab, "PowerStroke", Auto,
PMT1 PCM, DP 80 tow
ISSPRO gauges
BDS front leveling kit
4" straight piped
Sinister pre-pump mod w/filter
Dick Cepek DC1 w/ Nitto Terra Grappler 325/65R18,

Annoy A Liberal....... Work Hard and Be Happy!
Please dont call me white or Caucasian. It offends me.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 06:51 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsRumors View Post

I am from Cartersville and couldn't agree more with you.

2012 F-350 CC/SB 4x4 King Ranch*Spartan Tuning*5" Flo-Pro*
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 08:52 PM
oil burner

waste of money,in times like this its money that should be spent on something more important.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

96 f250, ZF5,160cc,
300k miles

96 f350 plow truck
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:20 PM
blame the dog..

since when does a waste of time and money matter to the Federal government?
that something new this morning?

Quote:
This site needs new newbs.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 04:19 PM
PSN Newb

Quote:The Cartersville City Council agreed Thursday night to endorse an application for a Rural Enterprise Grant for $99,000 to create a mural of the Great Locomotive Chase in downtown Cartersville on one condition: That they have a say on where the mural will go, if the grant is approved.

I know this is just an "application" but the town north of us and south of us (Adairsville & Emerson) both have been approved and it is a series of murals. We will get this, no doubt.:end quote

--------
The Adairsville mural is underway and to be unveiled in April 2011.
What many people do not know is that two Adairsville artists have been designated the artists for the entire series. Who selected them, you should ask.
As far as is known, there was no reach out to the artist community at large for mural proposals. Now the Cartersville Downtown Development Authority is working on a grant application seemingly in behalf of these two artists who have only to sit back and wait for their money and a go-ahead. If all seven murals are approved, these fellows will do quite well-easily 500,000-600,000 dollars in grant monies.

Do not most public or civic projects follow some sort of bid process or design competition.

This Locomotive Chase process is being handled the wrong way and going in the wrong direction.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Very interesting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode