Second degree murder= Probation? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Second degree murder= Probation?

Probation for killing after dog pees on prize lawn - U.S. news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

JOLIET, Ill. — A former Marine who was convicted of second-degree murder in the shooting death of a man whose puppy urinated on his award-winning lawn was sentenced Wednesday to four years probation.

Charles Clements, 69, won't do any jail time for killing his neighbor Joshua Funches, 23, during an argument outside Clements' home. He could have been sentenced to as long as 20 years in prison, The Chicago Tribune reported.

"This is not justice," said Gail Williams, the slain man's aunt, according to the Tribune.

In May 2009, as Funches passed Clements' home while walking his fox terrier, the dog lifted its leg and relieved itself, witnesses said. The two men got into an argument. After Funches cursed at him, Clements pulled out a .45-caliber handgun, then put it back in his pocket, the Tribune reported. Soon after, Funches punched Clements in the face. Clements said Funches was standing still when he redrew the gun and shot him, the Tribune reported.

Funches later died of his injuries.

The Will County state's attorney indicated it would not appeal county Judge Daniel Rozak's sentence. The attorney's office issued a statement following the ruling:

“Given the serious nature of the crime and the evidence presented at trial, the State’s Attorney’s Office asked the judge for a prison sentence for Charles Clements. After presiding over the trial and hearing all the facts and circumstances, the judge determined that probation was an appropriate sentence. He is an excellent judge and we respect his decision.”

The judge told Clements the slaying wasn't about a dog urinating on a lawn, but "about your reaction ... to being yelled at, pushed and punched in the face by a 23-year-old man," the Tribune reported.

Having repeatedly earned University Park's lawn upkeep award, Clements often verbally harassed anyone who stepped near or on his precious grass, neighbors said.

Discuss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz

Re: Second degree murder= Probation?

Sounds about right. But don't pay/evade your taxes and you get 20+ years.

2002 F-250 CCSB Lariat 4x4 7.3 Mostly stock... for now

2003 Ford Ranger Fx4 Level ll Sonic Blue with 33s"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamfighter View Post
I'm getting it in the can right now!!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:24 AM
PSN Veteran

Thats liberal ass Illinois for you

2000 7.3 F-350, PHP Tunes, 5" straight pipe, intake, gauges

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:32 AM
One of a kind

He was on the other guys property. I and the guy who got shot was way younger.And hit the old man first. If someone hit you when you were 70 woulnt you feel thretend enough to shoot. Its not like you can hang in a fist fight. And I tell people walking their dog chit all the time for letting them #### in the front yard.

2010 F-350, Auto,4X4, 4dr long bed, SCT/Gearhead, S&B, High Idle,Guages:boost,egt,trans, 2.5" Leveling Kit/Track Bar, PMF bars, 325-60-20's on 20x10 XD Revolvers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:50 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSD-BLACK-CLOUD View Post
He was on the other guys property. I and the guy who got shot was way younger.And hit the old man first. If someone hit you when you were 70 woulnt you feel thretend enough to shoot. Its not like you can hang in a fist fight. And I tell people walking their dog chit all the time for letting them #### in the front yard.

Agree with you 100 percent. Put yourself in his situation. A 70 year old former marine getting assualted on his own property. Pretty sure a fist fight would kill him, of course he is going to pull out his gun. He is protecting his life. The guy got what he deserved for punching a 70 year old man.

1. What tool 23 year old punches a 70 year old man
2. Guy was trespassing on the ol mans property
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Super Sparky

Gandy in 5, 4, 3, 2,..............

2009 F350 4x4 CCLB Job 2
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:13 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSD-BLACK-CLOUD View Post
I agree with u but it did say the man pulled the gun out when they were talking or yelling at each other. So the 23 year old could have felt thretend as well so it's hard to say. If a old man pulls a gun on me then puts it up and I can get to him before he can pull it out I'm going to fuk him up wether he's 70 90,100 or 23. That's the only part I see that is fuked up. I also see him going to jail for a few years. Not probation!

Josh.
2003 6.0 RCLB
powermax
190cc
tuned by Eric and Matt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:28 PM

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:56 PM
hillbilly

When you get what you deserve, "He bought that one".
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Lovin the Tuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKER6.04LIFE View Post
I agree with u but it did say the man pulled the gun out when they were talking or yelling at each other. So the 23 year old could have felt thretend as well so it's hard to say. If a old man pulls a gun on me then puts it up and I can get to him before he can pull it out I'm going to fuk him up wether he's 70 90,100 or 23. That's the only part I see that is fuked up. I also see him going to jail for a few years. Not probation!
Only problem with that was, the old man had enough time to put the gun back in his pocket before the punch happened... so that doesnt exactly apply to this situation. The 23 year old could have walked away at that point. Re-read below
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarker View Post
After Funches cursed at him, Clements pulled out a .45-caliber handgun, then put it back in his pocket, the Tribune reported. Soon after, Funches punched Clements in the face.

2001 F250
2000 F250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode