Report: UK greased al-Megrahi's release - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Report: UK greased al-Megrahi's release

Report: U.K. greased Lockerbie bomber's release - U.S. news - Security - msnbc.com

I have a philosophy? Who knew. Ok, where's the beer?

In lockstep to the end of the world....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 F-250/CC/SB/4"SS Magnaflow/Evolution2/HPX/Pre pump mod/Harpoon/65psi fuel shim/FTVB/Zoodad mod/2008 Diff Cover/V-10 transmission cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Gandy Dancer

Re: Report: UK greased al-Megrahi's release

Not a big surprise to a lot of us.

There was a show (can't remember which channel) on how the doctor that claimed he only had a few months to live....... was connected to BP.

Just another example of the false assumption, that if you leave big business alone........they will look out for the common person and some of that largess will dribble down.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Hey Gandy, read the first paragraph......

The report finds that senior officials under former British Prime Ministers Tony Blair and Gordon Brown quietly and repeatedly pressured Scottish authorities to release Abdel Baset Ali al-Megrahi, the former Libyan intelligence officer convicted of the bombing.

They did so in order to protect British business interests in Libya, including a $900 million BP oil deal that the Libyans had threatened to cut off, as well as a $165 million arms sale with a British defense firm that was signed the same month al-Megrahi was freed from prison, the report states.

“This was a case in which commercial and economic considerations trumped the message of our global fight against terrorism,” said Sen. Bob Menendez, D-N.J., one of the four senators who commissioned the report by a Senate investigator.

Britain’s ambassador to Libya, Sir Vincent Fean, "directly participated" in an October 2008 meeting with Scottish government and senior Libyan officials to discuss a "way out" for Megrahi, it states.

Now read this......

Other British officials repeatedly warned the Scots that "British interests, including those of U.K. nationals, British businesses and possibly security cooperation would be damaged — perhaps badly — if Megrahi were to die in a Scottish prison," according to a statement British Foreign Minister William Hague provided the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

It is the "officials" in government job to look out for us not BP. I also understand it was not our government the screwed the pooch.

It is also a common issue that the people that are in government are only looking out for themselves.....

This article just points out that the "buck" stops nowhere......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 F-250/CC/SB/4"SS Magnaflow/Evolution2/HPX/Pre pump mod/Harpoon/65psi fuel shim/FTVB/Zoodad mod/2008 Diff Cover/V-10 transmission cooler

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fddriver2 View Post
Hey Gandy, read the first paragraph......
I'm very aware of the intricacies of the issue.

My point is still valid.

BP is THE major corporation of the UK and the government is very dependent on them for tax revenue.

In this case, the government acted as a corporation.........not as a government meant to help the people and ensure justice.

And that is exactly why those who say our government should back off of regulation and oversight of businesses, because they will do the "right thing" ...........is woefully naive.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
I can be possible.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Gandy View Post

And that is exactly why those who say our government should back off of regulation and oversight of businesses, because they will do the "right thing" ...........is woefully naive.

At this point in my life I don't trust "any" organization to do the "right thing".

So from my point of view you are "woefully naive"

A business, either large or small has no real duty/responsibility to act for the greater well being of anyone. Harsh, but reality.

A government on the other hand does have a duty/responsibility for the greater well being of the populace.

In this particular instance I believe the government of the UK were derelict in their duties, and all the oversight of business in the world wouldn't make a bit of difference.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 02:30 AM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fddriver2 View Post

At this point in my life I don't trust "any" organization to do the "right thing".

So from my point of view you are "woefully naive"

A business, either large or small has no real duty/responsibility to act for the greater well being of anyone. Harsh, but reality.

A government on the other hand does have a duty/responsibility for the greater well being of the populace.

In this particular instance I believe the government of the UK were derelict in their duties, and all the oversight of business in the world wouldn't make a bit of difference.
Quote:
In this case, the government acted as a corporation.........not as a government meant to help the people and ensure justice.
Although I often feel let down also, I will still choose government over big business.............. when it comes to looking after the populace.

Quote:
I can be possible.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Although I often feel let down also, I will still choose government over big business.............. when it comes to looking after the populace.

I'm not sure if there is a big difference anymore....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode