US falls to average in education ranking - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

US falls to average in education ranking

US falls to average in education ranking - Yahoo! News

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AFP) The United States has fallen from top of the class to average in world education rankings, said a report Tuesday that warned of US economic losses from the trend.

The three-yearly OECD Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) report, which compares the knowledge and skills of 15-year-olds in 70 countries around the world, ranked the United States 14th out of 34 OECD countries for reading skills, 17th for science and a below-average 25th for mathematics.
For us here in GA every year for the last 3 we have furloughed teachers while continuing to lose millions on state owned golf courses and parks not to mention adding sports programs to three community colleges that cost tax payers $4 million each.

It's all a matter of what is important.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 11:33 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Re: US falls to average in education ranking

I struggle with math...

I dont want my kids to suffer the same!

Wife home schools them now, gave up on the public school system.

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 11:41 PM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsRumors View Post
US falls to average in education ranking - Yahoo! News

For us here in GA every year for the last 3 we have furloughed teachers while continuing to lose millions on state owned golf courses and parks not to mention adding sports programs to three community colleges that cost tax payers $4 million each.

It's all a matter of what is important.
And you think we should eliminate the entire Department of Education?

I think we should figure out a way to make it work better and be more effective for the whole nation.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 11:51 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Gandy View Post

I think we should figure out a way to make it work better and be more effective for the whole nation.

What good has the DOE done for us?

What Positive result have they provided?

in fiev mer yers we wil bee stupeder then them guys

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 12:00 AM
Headwind Magnet

It means those other countries are better at teaching to a standardized test. Centralized education will give you that.
Best,
Jim

2002 F-350 SC/SB/SRW 4X4 auto- Tymar intake, AIH delete, Swamps injectors, Swamps IDM, Dieselsite Coolant Filter,
Bilsteins with a stock ride height.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Hate 'R Us

Thanks to No Child Left Behind classes are taught at the level of the slowest kid in class instead of teaching it at a level that challenges the smarter kids.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Like I said in the other thread.....Charter Schools are working very well and are relieved of many of the standards that public schools must adhere.

Charter Schools Show Increased Rates of High School Graduation and College Enrollment, According to New Study : Education Next

Quote:
In Chicago, students who attended a charter high school were 7 percentage points more likely to earn a regular high school diploma than their counterparts with similar characteristics who attended a traditional public high school. The graduation differential for Florida charter schools was even larger, at 15 percentage points.

The findings for college attendance are remarkably similar in Florida and Chicago. Among the study population of charter 8th graders, students who attended a charter high school in 9th grade are 8 to 10 percentage points more likely to attend college than similar students who attended a traditional public high school.
Not to mention across the country Charter Schools are being quite successful with bridging the gap between minority and white students.

For minorities, a charter-school boost - NYPOST.com

Report: Oakland Charter Schools Outperform District Peers with Poor, Minority Students. | Education Students & Student Life from AllBusiness.com

So yes, I adhere to the philosphy that local control is much better than some politicians at the federal or state level dictating how teachers should do their job.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsRumors View Post
Like I said in the other thread.....Charter Schools are working very well and are relieved of many of the standards that public schools must adhere.

Charter Schools Show Increased Rates of High School Graduation and College Enrollment, According to New Study : Education Next

Not to mention across the country Charter Schools are being quite successful with bridging the gap between minority and white students.

For minorities, a charter-school boost - NYPOST.com

Report: Oakland Charter Schools Outperform District Peers with Poor, Minority Students. | Education Students & Student Life from AllBusiness.com

So yes, I adhere to the philosphy that local control is much better than some politicians at the federal or state level dictating how teachers should do their job.
Charter schools are great......if you're accepted.

Let someone else teach those that need additional help or might not have the right color skin.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Let's go ahead and step back 40 years.

Charter School Drawbacks (click here)

Quote:
Colorado charter schools on average enroll fewer students with disabilities than noncharters — lending weight to long-held criticism of the publicly funded schools that are supposed to serve everyone.

Critics have long contended that charters skim the best and brightest students, leaving traditional schools to educate the rest.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
I can be possible.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Charter schools are great......if you're accepted.

Let someone else teach those that need additional help or might not have the right color skin.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Let's go ahead and step back 40 years.

Charter School Drawbacks (click here)

Where does your link mention anything about skin color? Is that just a natural reflex for you?

I provided a link to minorities and the poor performing better than traditional schools...two links actually.

While there have been reports of segregation based upon color or financial standing everything I have read show it is not due to a preference for one or the other rather where the Charter Schools are built. If a Charter School is built in a black neighborhood, what will be the majority in attendance? The same would hold true for schools built in poor or rich neighborhoods.

My kids are on the bus 45 minutes to go to a middle school 15 miles away as compared to going to a middle school that is 4 miles from the house. All in the name meeting certain criterias for financial and race integration. This doesn't happen with Charter Schools, generally speaking.

Reforms, not desegregation, will bring school advances - The Boston Globe

Data don study | Thoughts on Public Education

Quote:
, 70 percent of black charter school students attend schools where at least 90 percent of students are minorities. In California, the study found that whites and African-American students disproportionately attend charter schools, although that varies regionally. Charter schools comprise 4.4 percent of the state’s 6 million students, including 9 percent in Los Angeles Unified.

As the study points out, there has been a trend toward racial isolation in America’s schools for several decades, as urban areas have become more stratified by race and income. Widening disparities in academic achievement between white middle class children and minorities and poor children have followed.

Charter schools shouldn’t be held accountable for de facto segregation caused by poverty and housing costs. The best charter schools in California’s urban areas are graduating large percentages of students from high school and sending them on to college, offering a path out of racial and geographical isolation and into the economic mainstream. They’re doing this by setting up shop in neighborhoods where schools are failing and deliberately targeting students at risk of dropping out.
Of course Obama is a proponent of charter schools....one of the few things he an I agree on

Obama Education Plan Speech: Stricter Standards, Charter Schools, Merit Pay

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 02:20 AM
Gandy Dancer

I am a proponent of holding teachers accountable and to rate their performances.

The problem being, charter schools can usually pick (unless laws prevent it) who they want to teach and that naturally skews their test results.

We've discussed this before.... Post #16 (click here)

Although we weren't discussing charter schools specifically, the same things apply.

I think competition is great and can lead to better teachers. If charter schools break the hold of the often ambivalent teacher's unions...more power to them.

My issue is making sure they're not cherry picking and leaving even more children behind.

Whatever their reason for it.

Quote:
I can be possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode