Electronic Pick pocket - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Electronic Pick pocket

Saw this last night... Oh Dear!

Video -- WREG

I have a philosophy? Who knew. Ok, where's the beer?

In lockstep to the end of the world....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 F-250/CC/SB/4"SS Magnaflow/Evolution2/HPX/Pre pump mod/Harpoon/65psi fuel shim/FTVB/Zoodad mod/2008 Diff Cover/V-10 transmission cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Gandy Dancer

Re: Electronic Pick pocket

Protect RFID Cards (click here)

Quote:
"If I had an RFID that didn't have a cover, a driver's license, a credit card, a corporate ID card . . . suddenly a [shielded] wallet isn't such a stupid idea," says Schneier, an author of books on security and the chief technology officer of Santa Clara, Calif.-based BT Counterpane, a network security company.

Marc Rotenberg, president of the Electronic Privacy Information Center in Washington, keeps an ad for one of those shielded wallets, clipped from a travel mag, posted on his office door. It's a little joke, but he's also serious. "RFID creates security and privacy risks," he says.

A couple of years ago, when the State Department announced the new style of passports, EPIC recommended that people wrap their passports in tinfoil. Instead, the State Department addressed such concerns by embedding metallic shielding in the front and back cover of the passport books. In addition, the new "passport cards" to be offered to U.S. citizens who travel frequently between the United States and Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean will come with similarly shielded sleeves.

The fact that the State Department has resorted to shielding material -- does that mean the threat is real, that shielded wallets for other types of cards are a good idea? Schneier, for one, thinks the passport books are still vulnerable when they are open.

But spokesmen for the State Department and the Department of Homeland Security say the shields are just an extra level of security for documents that are already safe because of encryption and the nature of the information on them. Even when the passport books are open, the digital information can be read by a scanner no more than a few inches away, says spokesman Steve Royster. As for the passport cards for frequent border-crossers, they can be read at 20 to 30 feet but contain no personal information, Royster says. The personal stuff is safe in government computers, he says.

MasterCard, for its part, says consumers need not invest in shielded wallets -- they can save their money for other purchases.

"All of our cards go through very strict security testing," says MasterCard spokeswoman Erica Harvill, who says she carries her PayPass unshielded as a key fob. The data on the cards are encrypted using a system involving random, unique authentication codes that can only be used once, Harvill says. In addition, the signals can travel only a very short distance.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 03:03 PM
All done now

Wonder where I can find a lead lined wallet.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Olde gear jammer

Location: Barton City Mi, under a rock or a log, where the skies are sometimes cloudy all day.

I don't know how many here know what a FAST/Xpress card is, but it's a card used to cross the border, without using a passport, issued to cross border truck drivers, and may be some others. I got a new one about a year or so ago with the RFID thing. It came in a copper lined envelope, and the literature that came with it, stated to keep it in the sleeve, unless you're using it. I wonder if the new passports come with a sleeve? And how about the enhanced driver licenses out there?

Another nonaligned spokesperson.

Good stuff, trucks bring it!

I don't care if my thread goes off topic, it's all BS anyway!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnday View Post
I don't know how many here know what a FAST/Xpress card is, but it's a card used to cross the border, without using a passport, issued to cross border truck drivers, and may be some others. I got a new one about a year or so ago with the RFID thing. It came in a copper lined envelope, and the literature that came with it, stated to keep it in the sleeve, unless you're using it. I wonder if the new passports come with a sleeve? And how about the enhanced driver licenses out there?

The new passports have the front and back cover made so that electronic signals can't go through.

The covers are thicker/stiffer on the new ones (I just got a new one a couple of years ago and compared it to my old one).

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 03:51 PM
blame the dog..

And you guys make fun of us tin-foil beanie folk...

Quote:
This site needs new newbs.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Olde gear jammer

Location: Barton City Mi, under a rock or a log, where the skies are sometimes cloudy all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLDickmon View Post
And you guys make fun of us tin-foil beanie folk...
Only you guys down in that corner of the state!!

Another nonaligned spokesperson.

Good stuff, trucks bring it!

I don't care if my thread goes off topic, it's all BS anyway!!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 04:19 PM

I don't care if my CC # is stolen .....

Visa, MC, AMEX, Discover, etc, offer very good protection for their consumers

RFID on Passports & Driver's License is much more of a concern in this scenario as is showing your ID to use your Credit Card @ a retailer

Credit Card companies policy is, as long as the CC is signed, no ID is required nor should the retailer ask for it.

The reason being is once you whip out your driver's license to use your credit card not only is your CC# known but so is all of your other pertinent info.

Criminals have been using cell phone cameras while standing in line behind unsuspecting customers to gather personal information for several years now. Not to mention some of the criminals that have sat behind the security monitors at various retail outlets.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 12:35 PM
PSN Local

The smarter we make things the easier it is to steal.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 12:41 PM
PSN Veteran

My money clip credit card holder is in my front pocket. If some dude gets that close to me with a electronic device, He is going to get a fist.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode