1 in 10 US kids are ADHD - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

1 in 10 US kids are ADHD

I know the issue is real but is it this real or is it just the easy way to parent?

We have a some friends that have a child that is supposedly ADHD. The kid bounces off the wall even after being medicated. He takes something in the morning to control the ADHD and then takes another pill in the evening to sleep. He can't sit in class and walks the class room and hall. He is always disruptive and looking for attention. If we have them over for dinner we always make it an adult's night so they don't bring this kid.......

That is up until hunting season. This kid knows he has to sit quietly in the stand or his dad will not let him come on the next trip. He has no problem what so ever sitting in the stand for 6 - 8 hours.

I know this is a case of poor parenting.....I am just curious how many more are out there.

1 in 10 kids in U.S. has ADHD, new study says - Health - Kids and parenting - msnbc.com

Quote:
ATLANTA ó Nearly 1 in 10 U.S. children has ADHD, a sizable increase from a few years earlier that government scientists think might be explained by growing awareness and better screening.

ADHD, or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, makes it hard for kids to pay attention and control impulsive behavior. It's often treated with drugs, behavioral therapy, or both.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 11:14 PM
PSN Local

Re: 1 in 10 US kids are ADHD

It's the LAZY way to parent.

2000 F-350
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Gandy Dancer

There aren't any ADHD children that can't be cured.............. with a severe beating with a belt.

And yes, I'm being very facetious. Let's see how many people jump in and agree though.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 11:38 PM
PSN Local

I bet that would cure 75 percent of them.

Official PSN special needs duramax guy! ASE cert. mastertech 2004 LB7, Efi-live with tunes from THE idahorob, s366 from EPR, head studs, Dmax-4 transmission kit, airdog 165, tie rod sleeves, intake, exhaust, gauges.
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Gandy View Post
There aren't any ADHD children that can't be cured.............. with a severe beating with a belt.

And yes, I'm being very facetious. Let's see how many people jump in and agree though.
Sneaky sneaky

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 11:43 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:

Wow Rick?????

97 250 EC 4x4
5 speed
6637 Napa Filter
ccv mod
3" diamond eye dp
175cc 80% over Rosewood inj.
Custom tuning by Cale Thompson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4" Rough Country Lift
315-70-17 BFG AT Tires
Rebuilt zf5 at 250000
my new favorite gun:
LAR grizzly 50 BMG big boar
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 11:59 PM
<-- it's like that

There is a very distinct difference between ADD/ADHD and bad parenting.

I was a full time martial arts instructor for years, and taught hundreds and hundreds of kids from ages 5 and up. It seemed like 1 out of every 3 parents that brought their kids to me for the first time would tell me their child was ADD/ADHD, and some of them were medicated.

I took courses to learn about ADD/ADHD and how to recognize it, and how to teach children who suffered from it. Out of all those students I had over the years, probably 2 or 3 were truly ADD/ADHD. The rest were a result of piss-poor parenting.

My ADD/ADHD students were actually very good kids, and excelled in martial arts.... although at times they struggled on memorization of forms (patterns) and certain skills. But overall they were very well mannered, and enjoyed getting some of that energy out in a way that was constructive for them.

As for the other kids, they had terrible attitudes, had problems with authority, and were very undisciplined. I also had many opportunities to observe the parents and how they interacted with their bastard children, and it was obvious that they just let the kids run their lives. Those parents used the ADD/ADHD excuse to get out of proper discipline.

It's actually fairly easy to distinguish between a kid who has ADD/ADHD, and one who simply lacks parental discipline. Honestly I think that ADD/ADHD is overly diagnosed in too many cases, and too many kids are medicated when they really just need a good spanking every now and then. It sucks for the kids, because the ones who don't suffer actually are very sluggish and hard to get any mental stimulation going. The kids who actually do suffer from ADD/ADHD and take medication, behave normal for the most part, and still have their wits sharp and ready to go.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Caption This

Quote:

I still agree with you but I prefer a wooden paddle. And perhaps I'd want to change it to "almost every".

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 12:11 AM
<-Friends bike

Its the easy way out for lazy parents ....

Rick....

Supporter/End user of ShiftSolutions THE CURE E4/4R Trans Control. Helping Cancer patients and families

Special thanks to RacerX USA
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 12:36 AM
FNG

Totally easy way out.

Oh and the belt scenario works. Im living proof

Dave G

06 F250 Lariat 4x4 leveled on 35s

4 inch flowmaster exhaust
Bulletproof diesel egr delete.
Bulletproof diesel FICM
Performance Machine & Manufacturing Coolant Filter Kit

ECM and FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes from Gearhead, Innovative and Wildman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode