Property Tax statement....*sigh* - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Property Tax statement....*sigh*

Our county property tax statement just showed up with some incredibly sad numbers on it. Our "real market value" of our land and improvements went down $127,000 (yes, you read that correctly) yet our "assessed value" went up $6,000. Our property taxes increased despite that big of a loss in value. W...T...F...

Some economic improvements we got going on here.

2000 F350 PSD, 4X4, CC, LB, 6-speed/ PHP Tuning /1.0 Turbo (no wastegate) with WW/ 4" turbo back exhaust/ AIS Intake with fender sleeve/ Isspro EV gauges/

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 04:50 PM

Re: Property Tax statement....*sigh*

Guberments are NOT going to give up "their" money.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 10:57 PM
Yeah, it's like that

Get an appraisal, the assessed value isn't supposed to be higher than market value. You should be able to walk in with your appraisal and make them drop your assessed to that level. If they won't, take the county to court. They can't legally collect taxes on something of no value, the difference in what it appraises for and the assessed value, doesn't exist, so you shouldn't be paying taxes on it. I have seen that work in the past, but that was in a normal housing market. I have no idea about how a judge would rule because house prices are down by almost 20% nationwide. I don't know if the laws have something written in for this scenario, but I bet a lawyer in your area could tell you. No point in spending money on an appraisal if you can't fight it.

Entrepreneurs and their small enterprises are responsible for almost all the economic growth in the United States.
Ronald Reagan

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 12:47 AM
PSN Local

What they said! I have contested taxed value on several properties. I have always gotten them to lower it. Most of the time these wienies don't even go look at the property or do anything other than use some scale to appreciate the value.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 F350 4X4
SCT with TSD Tunes
4" straight exhaust
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSATX View Post
What they said! I have contested taxed value on several properties. I have always gotten them to lower it. Most of the time these wienies don't even go look at the property or do anything other than use some scale to appreciate the value.
Yah, that's what it seems like this time is just a "usual" amount that the appraised value went up with nobody looking at the property.

AV (appraised value) is still a few thousand lower than RMV so I don't know if they will lower it or not. This is not a million dollar home, the RMV went from 344K to 217K in one year. Yes, that's a 37% drop. I have an appraisal from 2007 that put it at an even $400K. 46% in three years....ugh....

2000 F350 PSD, 4X4, CC, LB, 6-speed/ PHP Tuning /1.0 Turbo (no wastegate) with WW/ 4" turbo back exhaust/ AIS Intake with fender sleeve/ Isspro EV gauges/

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 11:34 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Mine did the same thing... Have not seen the property taxes yet, but we could have sold for 450-500k and now I doubt we could sell it for 260 (what we paid...)

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Junior Mint

Did the state raise property tax rates (as in %)?

Was your house way undervalued by the state in the past? In that case you have little to complain about.

Also, I didn't realize that OR had high property taxes? I mean how much money are we talking about here? I thought you guys get it real good in some other ways tax wise in OR?

I hire an outside firm to battle my taxes down every year. They get 45% of the money that they save me which in TX, is significant because property taxes are rather high. (2-2.5% of the property value I believe) They got the appraisal down by $32K this year which is awesome since I have no intention of selling. This surprised me because I have been following values in my neighborhood and I have seen properties going for top dollar very quickly.

Now TX is talking about increasing the tax rate to offset the losses in property values. I happen to think it's horsecrap that I have to pay for other people's children to attend school thru my property taxes. Just another way that I have to subsidize others and their choices.

I'm officially...Stroke-less.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 04:04 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
Did the state raise property tax rates (as in %)?

Was your house way undervalued by the state in the past? In that case you have little to complain about.

Also, I didn't realize that OR had high property taxes? I mean how much money are we talking about here? I thought you guys get it real good in some other ways tax wise in OR?

I hire an outside firm to battle my taxes down every year. They get 45% of the money that they save me which in TX, is significant because property taxes are rather high. (2-2.5% of the property value I believe) They got the appraisal down by $32K this year which is awesome since I have no intention of selling. This surprised me because I have been following values in my neighborhood and I have seen properties going for top dollar very quickly.

Now TX is talking about increasing the tax rate to offset the losses in property values. I happen to think it's horsecrap that I have to pay for other people's children to attend school thru my property taxes. Just another way that I have to subsidize others and their choices.
Yeah, its BS to say the least.

The value of my home according to the state is like $50k less than my neighbors with similar square footage. Im sure not b!tching, but he should. I dont think the state has any idea, they just shoot numbers out, most of our neighbors have crazy numbers as well that make zero sense.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 07:12 PM
PSN Newb

One good thing about CA, Prop 13. It still hardly make it worth living here, if at all.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 07:24 PM
All done now

Three houses in my neighborhood have sold this year. Two in foreclosure auctions, one in a sale to avoid foreclosure. It really drove down the property values in my neighborhood. My property taxes went down over five hundred bucks. Don't plan on selling, so if my property value goes down to zero, it will make me happy.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode