Unreal. Obama administration blocks retransfer of surplus rifles... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Unreal. Obama administration blocks retransfer of surplus rifles...

http://www.scribd.com/full/39176770?...6h4dxkbhjq0z4r
David Codrea,
Gun Rights Examiner
In August, I asked "Why is Obama Administration blocking import of surplus rifles?," citing "problems" that were described as "ambiguous" being the reason a sale previously approved by the State Department had been halted.

The ambiguity has now been cleared up. A Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives advisory titled "Effect of Granting Retransfer Authority" shows us the rationale behind the move. As the Examiner.com "upgrade" no longer allows content providers to embed objects, I must refer you offsite for the complete document. But in the interests of discussing the report, I have also broken it up into numbered graphics (see slide show in left margin):

1. Here it is in black and white:
...ATF believes the importation of these firearms, particularly the M1 carbine rifle and M-1911 pistol, poses a threat to public safety in the U.S."

This is the same rationale used in model-specific "assault weapons" bans--the type of gun is somehow deemed relevant, even though untold numbers of such firearms are already peaceably owned in this country, and even though no supporting evidence for this conclusion exists beyond agenda-promoting speculation.

2. We'll see an increase in imported firearms. Lots of them. So?

3. Prices will go down due to supply and demand. Their source? That noted threat to public safety in the U.S., the Civilian Marksmanship Program, authorized by Title 36 U. S. Code, 0701-40733 and a key supplier of "surplus military firearms, ammunition, parts and other items," provided you meet their eligibility requirements. The other apparent concern is the law does not empower ATF to collect "end user" information--so apparently any privately owned firearm with information not so collected is now a domestic threat? Maybe the solution is to "end the gun show loophole" and authorize licensing and registration?

4. The imported firearms will have "no more controls than any other firearm." If I read this right, what they're saying is, every gun poses a threat to public safety in the U.S. That, and the M1 carbine can be "easily converted to a machinegun." Probably easier than Airsoft guns, and I'll bet they don't need chain, duct tape and plastic ties to do it!

5. All you need is an "experienced machinist," seven parts, and a firm commitment to break the law. Just like with every other M1 carbine already out there. Or lots of other semiautos. That and we "may raise the risk" that full-auto lookalikes will be smuggled into the country. Meaning, if we follow ATF's "logic," all semiautos that look like actual military firearms pose a threat to public safety in the U.S.!

6. They could be used as "crime guns"! Remember those big numbers bandied around up in Slide 2, where they were talking hundreds of thousands, and millions? They've received requests to trace almost 2,000 over a 6-and-a-half year period. They don't say which were actually used in crimes and which were merely ancillary to an investigation --not all guns traced have been used in crimes, you know.

This is the grave threat to the Republic? This is nothing less than legislation by unaccountable bureaucrats with an agenda that has nothing to do with legitmate delegated authority.

I want to share something with you, and it pertains to the photo accompanying this article of me with my M1 Garand.

After undergoing training and demonstrating I could handle and shoot the thing, here's what I sent the Director fo Civiilian Marksmanship (now the CMP) back in 1995, once I got notified of my approval:

* Cashier's check payable to U.S. Treasury for $250.00
* Certificate for Purchase of Firearms
* Notarized attachment
* FBI Fingerprint Card
* Receipt from El Segundo CA Police Department
* DD Form 398-2, pages 2 through 5 inclusive (including authority for release of information and records)

Nine months later, I got my gun. I've owned and enjoyed it lawfully and peaceably for 15 years now without incident, that is, aside from the normal threat to public safety I evidently pose...

------------

Jim
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Hate 'R Us

Re: Unreal. Obama administration blocks retransfer of surplus rifles...

What's new?

99% of the people that make up these laws have no clue or insight as to what they are talking about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode