Supreme court case: Phelps vs. Snyder - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
<-- it's like that

Supreme court case: Phelps vs. Snyder

Looks like it was an interesting day to say the least. Seems to be a big juggling act between 1st amendment rights and privacy. What are your thoughts?

My opinion: I am an avid believer in the 1st amendment, but I think Westboro Baptist Church crossed the line over to harassment. It appears that some of the justices brought that very aspect up from time to time, and quite frankly I'm glad to see that. They seem to have been driving that fact home with Phelps too, asking pointed questions about the difference between free speech and following/harassing individuals in both public and private places. I hope that they can find a way to protect free speech, but at the same time give some clear understanding about what constitutes free speech, and what constitutes harassment. Personally, I predict that's what the outcome of this case will be.

Again, my opinion of course.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 08:19 PM

Re: Supreme court case: Phelps vs. Snyder

I think the "catch" here will be the issue of singling out a person or group of persons in which they were using their freedom of speech upon.

If I stand on the street corner and preach I am protected. If I start following a person around preaching at them I am harrassing.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 08:48 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsRumors View Post
I think the "catch" here will be the issue of singling out a person or group of persons in which they were using their freedom of speech upon.

If I stand on the street corner and preach I am protected. If I start following a person around preaching at them I am harrassing.
I think that's what they're looking at. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the church group direct the "protest" at the soldier by name?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
<-- it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarker View Post
I think that's what they're looking at. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the church group direct the "protest" at the soldier by name?
They specifically did when they posted online about how the Snyder family raised their son to worship the devil. Plus the fact that they intentionally seek out soldier's funerals, where they have other avenues to voice their opinions without disturbing private ceremonies. Those were some points brought up when the case went before the supreme court.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Hate 'R Us

Those a$$wipes were in our town earlier this week protesting, in front of a high school no less. I say kill them.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 02:00 AM
Hoosier daddy!

While I completely disagree with the actions of the Westboro group, I hope that the court is wise enough to make very clear distinction between what constitutes harrassment and what is protected free speech. The term harrassment is very broad and can be easily taken to an extreme. We are becoming extremely sensitive people and it's anyones guess what someone might consider to be harrassment. I'm not promoting the right to say anything to anyone but it can be a very slippery slope when exceptions or modifications are allowed to be made to existing rules.

2001 PSD F250
Born 4/01 in KY USA,
4x4, 3.73, Ext. Cab, Shortbox...
ITP RR, CCV, Tymar Intake, Airdog, DP tuner

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 02:11 AM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin'_Man View Post
While I completely disagree with the actions of the Westboro group, I hope that the court is wise enough to make very clear distinction between what constitutes harrassment and what is protected free speech. The term harrassment is very broad and can be easily taken to an extreme. We are becoming extremely sensitive people and it's anyones guess what someone might consider to be harrassment. I'm not promoting the right to say anything to anyone but it can be a very slippery slope when exceptions or modifications are allowed to be made to existing rules.
Damn pinko, commie liberal!

J/K of course..........you are absolutely correct.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Junior Mint

I think the actions of this church are way beyond free speech and well into personal harrasment territory.

Same way I feel about abortion protesters threatening scared, young, alone women outside of a clinic w/ nasty chants and thinly veiled threats.

I'm the last person that someone would call sensative.

I'm officially...Stroke-less.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Butt-Head

Don't forget that the decisions made in the court concerning this very case will have to be upheld for ANY lawsuit that follows and falls under the same conditions.

Can't we all just get along?

Cody
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
<-- it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHPDiesel View Post
Don't forget that the decisions made in the court concerning this very case will have to be upheld for ANY lawsuit that follows and falls under the same conditions.
Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHPDiesel View Post
Can't we all just get along?
Not on PSN.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Your connection to the

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode