Hate Speech Case In Front Of The Supreme's - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Gandy Dancer

Hate Speech Case In Front Of The Supreme's

This should be interesting.

Phelps VS Snyder (click here)

Quote:
After Matthew Snyder, a U.S. Marine, was killed in Anbar province in Iraq in 2006, some uninvited guests showed up at his funeral at St. John's Catholic Church in Westminster, Md. The Rev. Fred W. Phelps Sr. of the Westboro Baptist Church and several family members came from Kansas holding signs reading "Thank God for Dead Soldiers," #### Hates Fags" and "You're Going to Hell."

There is no question it was hateful stuff. Phelps' self-styled church preaches that God is punishing America because of its tolerance for homosexuality, especially in the military. The Phelps family makes its point by holding protests at military funerals. The Phelpses also posted an "epic poem" online entitled "The Burden of Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew A. Snyder," which, among other things, says to his parents, "you raised him for the devil." (See "Should Bigoted Speech Be Free? A Debate in Britain.")

Snyder's father, Albert Snyder, sued. He said that the protests, at the funeral of his only son, made him violently ill. He prevailed on his claims of invasion of privacy and intentional infliction of emotional distress and won a large damage award, but that ruling was reversed on appeal.

Next week, the Supreme Court will hear arguments in the case.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 05:24 AM
<-- it's like that

Re: Hate Speech Case In Front Of The Supreme's

There's a difference between free speech, and flat out harassment. Phelps and his church are, in my opinion, guilty of harassment by following soldier's funerals around the country. I only hope the Supreme Court can see the distinction.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 05:43 AM
Scab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
There's a difference between free speech, and flat out harassment. Phelps and his church are, in my opinion, guilty of harassment by following soldier's funerals around the country. I only hope the Supreme Court can see the distinction.
Well said Curtis. I really can't stand these guys. With that being said, this is dangerous ground. It is important that the SCOTUS doesn't set a precedent for censorship or denial of freedom of speech.

ADAM

2004 ECSB
1997 CCLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDPlayer View Post
NASCAR ditched all the 7.3L response vehicles cause they couldn't get out to the accident scene fast enough. When lives matter, HP wins.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 05:55 AM
<-- it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin6-0 View Post
Well said Curtis. I really can't stand these guys. With that being said, this is dangerous ground. It is important that the SCOTUS doesn't set a precedent for censorship or denial of freedom of speech.
True.

I look at it this way. A group cannot just walk into your home and protest, raise hell, whatever. Even though they have a right to say what they want to say, they don't have a right to invade privacy and say it. That reverts to harassment. Likewise, a funeral is one of the most sacred and private family times, and that privacy needs to be protected.

At this point, I think a person's right to privacy and right to be free from harassment trumps this group's tactics.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 11:06 AM
PSN Local

This is really touchy. I too hope that free speech is not trampled on. But free speech is not meant to be anything, anywhere.

2005 F350 4X4
SCT with TSD Tunes
4" straight exhaust
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 01:14 PM
blame the dog..

Quote:
you and me both

that's about as much a "church" as my big toe..

Quote:
This site needs new newbs.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
True.

I look at it this way. A group cannot just walk into your home and protest, raise hell, whatever. Even though they have a right to say what they want to say, they don't have a right to invade privacy and say it. That reverts to harassment. Likewise, a funeral is one of the most sacred and private family times, and that privacy needs to be protected.

At this point, I think a person's right to privacy and right to be free from harassment trumps this group's tactics.
I agree.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, don't these people usually stand across/down the street from the funerals? Can that really be considered 'invading privacy?'

In which case, I wonder if SCOTUS will rule on what is an appropriate distance to ensure the right to privacy? Or maybe pull an 'obscenity' type ruling and leave it up to each community?

I think it will be a very interesting and long reaching ruling.

I just hope they don't go too far, in trying to provide relief for families that deserve it.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
I can be possible.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 01:39 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Gandy View Post
I agree.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, don't these people usually stand across/down the street from the funerals? Can that really be considered 'invading privacy?'

In which case, I wonder if SCOTUS will rule on what is an appropriate distance to ensure the right to privacy? Or maybe pull an 'obscenity' type ruling and leave it up to each community?

I think it will be a very interesting and long reaching ruling.

I just hope they don't go too far, in trying to provide relief for families that deserve it.

I also agree with you Curtis. There is a fine line between Freedom of Speech, which I support, and harrasement.

Also Gandy, I will do some searching to see if I can find the one they protested here in my town and see where they were placed. I did not know the soldier, but a friend of mine who is in the military was in Iraq with the soldier that died and knew him and he attended the funeral. I do believe a few media outlets were there so I will try and see if I can find a link with some pictures as to where they were standing/protesting.

Andy
2000 F350, Dually, 6speed, Flatbed, snow plow - Work Truck / Tow Pig

01 Silver PSD, lifted, roof rack, winch, snorkel- SOLD

03 Jetta TDI- DD

1999 Jeep Cherokee, lifted, locked, etc....
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 01:44 PM
PSN Veteran

I did just find this: Federal judge rules Mo. limits on funeral protests unconstitutional

Andy
2000 F350, Dually, 6speed, Flatbed, snow plow - Work Truck / Tow Pig

01 Silver PSD, lifted, roof rack, winch, snorkel- SOLD

03 Jetta TDI- DD

1999 Jeep Cherokee, lifted, locked, etc....
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselsmoke0204 View Post
Good job....thanks!

I noticed in the article that the ACLU broguht up these points.

Quote:
ACLU attorney Tony Rothert said Monday that Missouri's restrictions established too large a zone in public areas where speech was restricted and made even nondisruptive speech illegal.

"Just not liking speech isn't enough reason," Rothert said.

Rothert added that the ban was aimed at the Kansas church but could have affected others. For example, he said, it could have made it illegal to picket anywhere a funeral procession happened to pass.
I think (hope) when their ruling comes out, SCOTUS will address what can and cannot be regulated.............. as to the distance away from a funeral.

That would also apply to any group/gathering.

Quote:
I can be possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode