Recession is OVER???? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Recession is OVER????

I was watching CNN today while at the tire store and they were talking about how economists say that the recession ended in June of 2009. What is everyone's take on this?

Here are two articles about it.

NBER declares recession ended in June 2009 - Sep. 20, 2010

US Stocks Climb After Recession Called Over, Homebuilders Gain - WSJ.com

Jeff Dodd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Ford F-250 CC/SB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 04:45 PM
FNG

Re: Recession is OVER????

Its far from over. CNN is just trying to make Obama look good. Banks are being closed left and right.

Housing and commercial real estate markets are still in the chitter. Stock Market aint great.

And now since americans arent interested in buying GM stock he's offering it to the chinese government

Dave G

06 F250 Lariat 4x4 leveled on 35s

4 inch flowmaster exhaust
Bulletproof diesel egr delete.
Bulletproof diesel FICM
Performance Machine & Manufacturing Coolant Filter Kit

ECM and FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes from Gearhead, Innovative and Wildman
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Junior Mint

A Recession (I believe) is defined as two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth. That's the definition. Using the definition the recession began in 2007 and ended in 2009.

Employment, etc are actually lagging indicators so it takes time for everything to catch up.

Not everything is a liberal media conspiracy guys.

I'm officially...Stroke-less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 05:20 PM

GA lost 3 banks last week......yup, it's over

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 05:36 PM
R.I.P. DAD

In other news unicorns sh!t rainbows, lepeechauns are real, and politicians don't lie.

08 6.4 lots of stuff.

R.I.P. TMCS (SS) Brooks R Newell, I will forever miss you.

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'

-Ronald Reagan
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Don't judge me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee08FX4 View Post
In other news unicorns sh!t rainbows, lepeechauns are real, and politicians don't lie.
politicians don't lie? yeah right...
post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Junior Mint

It looks like my dealer group is not the only one that has seen a serious uptick in truck sales.

E-mailed to me by an industry publication called Transport Topics. Unforunately w/o a subscription the link will not work for you guys but this is the gist of it:

U.S. Class 8 truck sales climbed 23.5% in August from year-ago levels, pushing sales for the first eight months of 2010 to 16.5% higher than last year’s results for the comparable period, WardsAuto.com reported.

post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 06:31 PM
FNG

Yeah Suns thats little or nothing to do with the recession sales were down 08-09 because noone wanted a DPF equipped truck. They made their existing fleets last a tad longer

Dave G

Bulletproof diesel FICM

ECM and FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes from Gearhead, Innovative and Wildman
post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Junior Mint

I completely disagree.

When fleets were interviewed about this exact topic in 2006 a couple of things came out:

1) They had been tricked into pre-buys before and were not falling for it again. e used this info to not over stock pre-emissions units.
2) The economy was soft enough that it did not justify a pre-purchase for many companies.
3) Companies are no longer scared of the new technology. Would you believe that I have lost deals on 2010 model year trucks because customers actually WANT the new emissions? It's true.
4) Companies generally have trade cycles based on tax depreciation and wear. If they are profitable they will stick to this because it just doesn't pay to run the truck longer. The tax advantages are gone, the equipment continues to depreciate, warranty is out, and downtime and repairs begin to really catch up to them. If a truck sits for 3 days a month in a strange town waiting for a part, that's the payment that month in lost revenue.

Here is the thing, I'm in the industry and I read the industry publications carefully so I can predict how to inventory. Consider that I might actually know what I'm talking about.

The economy started to suck badly in early 2007 so people quit buying trucks.

The economy has began to improve markedly in 2010 and therefore trucks sales are now increasing. Used truck sales are thru the roof btw. This is sort of the proverbial 'dipping the tow back in the water" for many companies.

The increased cost of the new emissions equipment really is a non issue when you look at the real cost to run a rig. Buy a truck for $130K and sell it in 5 years for $55K. In the meantime paying the driver w/ benefits, fuel, insurance, wear and tear, etc adds up to another million dollars. The actual purchase price of the truck is really a very small part of the equation and anyone in trucking that doesn't understand that really shouldn't be in trucking.

post #10 of 91 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:10 PM
FNG

Well I can tell you that 1-4 is the exact opposite of what happened up here.

People didnt wanna touch a DPF equipped truck until they absolutely had to

Dave G

Bulletproof diesel FICM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode