Campaign-Finance Bill Stalls in Senate - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
utah get me two

Campaign-Finance Bill Stalls in Senate

the gop blocks,a demm bill,that would require disclosure of the money trail
what the hell is going on
why would the dems want disclosure
and why would the gop want to hide it,if they are so for the american people

this makes no sense
enter gandy

https://philanthropy.com/blogPost/Ca...-Stalls/25824/

Dems' Campaign-Finance Bill Stalls - The Daily Beast

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2001 f250 4x4 cc sb 6 in lift...dp 6 pos..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 07:20 PM

Re: Campaign-Finance Bill Stalls in Senate

The problem with the currently proposed bill is the exceptions. Either disclose or don't. Treat everyone equal. Quit giving special treatment to certain groups.

Neither side wants true reform, only reform that will benefit their side......neither of which will benefit the US citizen.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsRumors View Post
The problem with the currently proposed bill is the exceptions. Either disclose or don't. Treat everyone equal. Quit giving special treatment to certain groups.
Specifics?

I think it is because the Repub's think they have the most to gain, in keeping the current SCOTUS ruling regarding corporate donations.

Quote:
Neither side wants true reform, only reform that will benefit their side......neither of which will benefit the US citizen.
Please explain why you think this particular bill favors the Dem's.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 07:35 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Gandy View Post
Specifics?

I think it is because the Repub's think they have the most to gain, in keeping the current SCOTUS ruling regarding corporate donations.

Please explain why you think this particular bill favors the Dem's..
The way I read what he wrote was that NEITHER side wants anything that will not benifit them. In turn, hurting the US citizens.

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PMRCM#1
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Specifics?

AARP, AAA, NRA, certain Unions

Quote:

Please explain why you think this particular bill favors the Dem's.

AARP, AAA, NRA, ceratin Unions

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
AARP, AAA, NRA, certain Unions

AARP, AAA, NRA, ceratin Unions
How do you figure that?

Disclose Act (click here)

Quote:
Opponents of the Disclose Act -- which would force corporations, unions and other groups to reveal the donors behind their political ads -- said the vote marked a victory for free-speech rights, including the rights of corporations to spend as much as they want on political advertising.

"This bill is a partisan effort, pure and simple. . . . This bill is about protecting incumbent Democrats from criticism ahead of the November election," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said before the vote.

But Tuesday's vote effectively quashes any chance of enacting disclosure requirements for the 2010 midterms, which appear likely to include record expenditures by outside groups and corporations.

But the legislation attracted opposition from a strange-bedfellows group including the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the American Civil Liberties Union and the AFL-CIO, which said it "reluctantly" opposed the legislation after Schumer removed an exemption benefiting unions. An exemption for the National Rifle Association irritated many Democrats and liberal groups but had no apparent impact on Tuesday's vote.

The opposition to it is pretty transparent to me.

The Repub's don't want any curtailment on money pumped in for the mid-term elections...... and are hoping they get big bucks from businesses and groups.

These donations might dry up, if there was a requirement for those donating....... to disclose such.

The criticism of the SCOTUS ruling....... is proving to be dead on IMHO.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
I can be possible.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 09:36 PM
FNG

We went over this months ago Rick. Certain unions were exempt from disclosure. Specifically the UAW and RR workers and several others

Dave G

06 F250 Lariat 4x4 leveled on 35s

4 inch flowmaster exhaust
Bulletproof diesel egr delete.
Bulletproof diesel FICM
Performance Machine & Manufacturing Coolant Filter Kit

ECM and FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes from Gearhead, Innovative and Wildman
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
We went over this months ago Rick. Certain unions were exempt from disclosure. Specifically the UAW and RR workers and several others
So prove that the bill wasn't changed, per my link above......
Quote:
...."after Schumer removed an exemption benefiting unions."

Quote:
I can be possible.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
How do you figure that?

Disclose Act (click here)

The opposition to it is pretty transparent to me.

The Repub's don't want any curtailment on money pumped in for the mid-term elections...... and are hoping they get big bucks from businesses and groups.

These donations might dry up, if there was a requirement for those donating....... to disclose such.

The criticism of the SCOTUS ruling....... is proving to be dead on IMHO.
Rick.....why was the NRA given an exemption?

NRA exemption from campaign finance law group says | Raw Story

Quote:
"If the Democratic leadership allows this NRA exemption to go forward just because it needs the votes of those Democrats who receive money from the NRA
So some Dems wouldn't vote for the legislation without the exemption for the NRA from whom they get some money.

So the NRA hasn't been stripped out, maybe the unions have but other groups have not.

You made this strictly about the Dems but I am saying neither side truely wants reform. Had they the Dems would never exempt any special interest groups.

NEITHER side wants true reform.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 01:33 AM
Gandy Dancer

So you're trying to say that the Repub's are only standing on 'principle'.............. and won't support it unless the NRA is included?

C'mon, you don't really believe that..........do you?

Especially given that the NRA contributes a heck of a lot more to the Repub's.

The truth of the matter is, the Dem's are running scared and they want to pass it in hopes that it will cut down on the anticipated record amount of money pumped into the campaigns from big business.

They are desperate and are willing to do antyhing.

Now, this may not be the most altruistic reason I ever heard of.....but I really don't care what the underlying reason is.

I just think it should be done.

And the Party of No has said............. NO.

Quote:
I can be possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode