So how is that government oversight working out? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

So how is that government oversight working out?

Most cans of food contain controversial BPA - Food safety- msnbc.com

Quote:
Most cans of food contain controversial BPA
Quote:
......BPA, or bisphenol A, is ubiquitous. Simply put, just about anything you eat that comes out of a can — from Campbell's Chicken Soup and SpaghettiOs to Diet Coke and BumbleBee Tuna — contains the same exact chemical.
Quote:
BPA is the key compound in epoxy resin linings that keep food fresher longer and prevents it from interacting with metal and altering the taste. It has been linked in some studies of rats and mice to not only cancer but also obesity, diabetes and heart disease
Quote:
But in January, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the first time expressed "some concern" about BPA. Propelled in part by recent independent scientific studies and also bowing to mounting concern from the public and consumer groups, the agency announced that it would tap $30 million in federal stimulus funds to study the chemical's potential effects on the human body.
Quote:
One scientist helping to lead the charge against BPA is Yale University physician, professor and researcher Hugh Taylor. His research has shown that the chemical alters the way genes react to estrogen, and could open the door for infants in utero to develop cancer much later in life.

"I tell my pregnant patients to avoid products containing it," he said. "Even a fleeting exposure in pregnancy can cause lasting damage."
So our government is going to spend $30,000,0000 to study the effects of BPA when there are independent studies by well respected institutions showing the effects.

What gives?

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 01:24 AM
Gandy Dancer

Re: So how is that government oversight working out?

The article said it would "tap" the $30M fund.

It didn't say it would spend $30M.

And given this....
Quote:
What is clear, however, is that unlike the case with plastic, there are no economically viable alternatives to the chemical in epoxy resins right now.
It sounds to me that a clear and compelling reason should be shown, before we eliminate something so integral to food production.

And I'm glad it's the government doing it....and not one of the food companies.

Imagine, some people would actually be for eliminating agencies, versus making them more effective.

After all, I'm sure companies will police themselves, even if it costs them some profits..... and remove it voluntarily from all of their food.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Gandy View Post

And given this....

It sounds to me that a clear and compelling reason should be shown, before we eliminate something so integral to food production.

Imagine, some people would actually be for eliminating agencies, versus making them more effective.

After all, I'm sure companies will police themselves, even if it costs them some profits..... and remove it voluntarily from all of their food.
Ummmm.....baby bottle manufacturers 2009

http://www.environmentalleader.com/2...-baby-bottles/

Quote:
The six largest makers of baby bottles will stop manufacturing baby bottles in the United States made with bisphenol A (BPA), a chemical widely used in plastics but increasingly linked to a range of health problems, reports the Washington Post. In addition, several retailers, including Babies R Us, told suppliers they would no longer stock baby bottles made with the chemical, cites the newspaper.
Imagine that

We like following suit of every other industrialized nation. Many have banned BPA why is it not cost effective for us? Why are we so slow to react?

I guess you were correct on one point...it did say "tap" as compared to spend.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 01:52 AM
Lovin Life...

[quote=AK Gandy;971047]
Quote:

LMAO, when has a government agency come in under budget?

Quote:
And given this....

Why is it better for the government to be pushing this?

Quote:

See, here's the deal about why a lot of us feel the government needs to get outta the free market. Allow me to give you an example;

Various companies around the country and the globe produce similar food stuffs. As consumers, we purchase items that we deemed best value/quality for our needs. (OK so far? ) Today in the USA, the VAST majority of people out there feel that anything on the shelves in the supermarket must be safe. I mean, come on, big daddy government is out there protecting us no? (It's really all I can do to keep a straight face as I'm typing this) So they grab whatever with no regard to consequence. So when crap like this comes up, people want to crucify these companies.

Now, in my world (devoid of a nanny state for government) all these same companies make the same products. Because we rely on our own judgement to deem something safe, we spend time researching the stuff we buy. Well, how many independent testing firms are you there? Would you agree that there would be enought to be able to make a eductated decision to what would be best value/quality for our needs? So IF some of these firms come out and say "hey this crap is bad for you", guess what? People will stop buying products from the companies using the bad product! An eductated man such as yourself can appreciate how long an enterprise that has been deemed unsafe to the public would last, I'm sure

That my friend is the beauty of free market my friend. A company make get it over for a little while, but it will come around to them. When it does, they will pay dearly.

On edit, PS Rumors just made a great point for me. My daughter is 2 years old. We have had 0 items in this home that contain BPH. Why? Becuase my wife spent a crap load of time researching what is safe and what is questionable for a baby's health. So if lil old us knew almost 3 years ago (taking into consideration she started researching durring preganancy) that this stuff was bad, how in the heck does it take the government of the USA all this time to figure out the same damn thing?

02-350. CCSB - Drivetrain by Stauffer, fuel by Swamps, air by Barder, tunes by Gearhead.
04-250. ECSB - In the shop...7.3 swap.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 02:01 AM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsRumors View Post
Ummmm.....baby bottle manufacturers 2009

http://www.environmentalleader.com/2...-baby-bottles/
And you don't think this had anything to do with it?

Quote:
........made their decisions after several attorney generals in Connecticut and New Jersey wrote to the bottle makers and asked them to voluntarily stop using the chemical,...........

Quote:
Imagine that
I agree.

Imagine that.

Quote:
We like following suit of every other industrialized nation. Many have banned BPA why is it not cost effective for us? Why are we so slow to react?
Maybe because the previous administration wanted to leave big business alone?

And as far as other industrialized countries already banning it, please provide a link.

And then let us know if they did it voluntarily.....or the government made them do it.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
I can be possible.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 02:06 AM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02BigD View Post
Now, in my world (devoid of a nanny state for government) all these same companies make the same products. Because we rely on our own judgement to deem something safe, we spend time researching the stuff we buy. Well, how many independent testing firms are you there? Would you agree that there would be enought to be able to make a eductated decision to what would be best value/quality for our needs?
So why, as was pointed out, that individual research companies have already determined that BPA is bad but........everyone keeps buying products with it in it?

Kinda shoots your observation right in the heart........doesn't it?

Quote:
So IF some of these firms come out and say "hey this crap is bad for you", guess what? People will stop buying products from the companies using the bad product!
You forgot one, extremely important......thing.

Most people will find out it's "bad" after people get sick......or die.

That's not a good option in my opinion.

Quote:
I can be possible.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

So states taking care of business without the Feds? That couldn't be so. We MUST have federal oversight.

The fact of the matter is our government is allowing a product to continue to be used when it is proven there are issues.

Quote:
Over the past decade, more than 130 studies have linked BPA to breast cancer, obesity and other disorders, reports the Washington Post. For example, JAMA reported in September 2008 that a study of BPA in humans found adults with higher levels of bisphenol A is associated with cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and liver-enzyme abnormalities.

New research suggests that BPA has an effect at very low doses – lower than the current safety standard set by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), reports the Washington Post. One key finding by the National Toxicology Program, part of the National Institutes of Health, reported last year that there is “some concern” BPA may affect the brain and behavioral development of fetuses, infants and young children, cites the newspaper.

In August 2008, the FDA asserted that BPA was safe, and found “no reason to recommend that consumers stop using products that contain BPA while the agency carries out its assessment process.” In October 2008, the FDA agreed that due to the uncertainties raised in some studies relating to the potential effects of low dose exposure to bisphenol A, additional research would be valuable, and is moving ahead with planned research.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode