Shouldn't government be run like WalMart? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Shouldn't government be run like WalMart?

You may not agree with many of WalMart's policies, I know I don't, but they have one aspect of their business down pat.

Many people do not believe this but with a little research you will find it to be true.

If one goes into the executive offices of WalMart you will be greeted with folding tables as seen at yard sales, folding lawn chairs as seen around a pool and appointments on the wall that are as cheap as the pictures sold in WalMart.

Shouldn't this be how our government operates? Shouldn't we worry about our teachers more so than building some new conference center? Our police and firefighters could get raises for the amount spent on a new community center. Government wants these nice new courthouses, driver's services builings and conference centers all the while we are furloughing or laying off teachers.

I say it is time that our elected officials start being supplied with furnishings that would be found in the WalMart's executive offices.

What say you?

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 02:38 PM
PSN Local

Re: Shouldn't government be run like WalMart?

Totally agreed!

99.5 F350 CC LB HAND SHAKER 09 tow mirrors. QSSB with Irate mount. 4inch exhuast PHP Chip, Adrenaline HPOP. Home made Fuel system with TSD Sump, Banks Intercooler.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Gandy Dancer

You think the government should:

- Pay very low wages and live with the resultant +-70% turnover rate?
- Keep people on part time, to avoid health insurance coverage?
- Deny overtime pay and discriminate against women and minorities for upper management positions?
- Violate child labor laws?
- Hire contractors that are known to employ illegal immigrants?

You really think that will improve our government?

I don't.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 03:33 PM
<---- Funny

just so you know i know where you are comming from but lets look at it from a busisness point of view....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Gandy View Post

paying low wages (but still paying min rate) allows you to sell products at a lower price... thus you sell more products, make more money. the jobs there require almost no skill so turnover rate isnt a factor as the training needed is minimal for a new employee, thus they make more $$$

is this illegal??? if the employees dont like it go and get another job, back to walmart making $$$

- Deny overtime pay and discriminate against women and minorities for upper management positions?
dont know about this... im sure it has happened once or so but the media blows it out of proportion.... but what happens if the women or minorities are not as qualified??? should they get bonus points because they are not a white male???

no excuses.... not good

is this illegal for walmart to do??? i mean the contractor can pay lower rates, bid jobs cheeper and get work, walmart gets the work done cheeper so their overhead stays lower, sounds like good busisness to be to make $$$

if the government quit worrying about making everyone happy and trying to be the nice people... yes i think it would.... stop running the government with agendas and run it like a busisness... not everyone will agree but it will work

I don't.
no i am not saying what walmart does is good or right.... but from a busisness standpoint they are doing good busisness, makeing money and expanding.... isnt that what every busisness wants to do???

Will

2002 F-350 CC LB 4x4 DRW

3 other PSDs, Low-Pro Freightliner, and 12 other diesel trucks

Random pics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't.
That doesn't happen, we have government oversight that wont allow it.

I believe we should have less elaborate buildings and furnishing that are usefull but cheap. Quit worrying about the show and get down to business.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Junior Mint

I don't know man. I've seen those Russian schools and government buildings and they are just blites on the landscape. Square ugly buildings. All functionality and nothing else.

I'd also never expect someone to work at an office in a lawn chair for gosh sakes. Hell we'd lose more on health insurance premiums as we paid for all of their chiropractor visits.

I wouldn't mind if the occasional school or police building (actually these are city and state buildings) had a small bit of architectural design made to fit in w/ the area of town and to make people feel welcome or even inspired.

Besides, as a huge consumer I have to imagine the US government gets some great prices. When I sell trucks to the city we sell them at cost just to try and get the parts and service as those bids are so competitive.

I'm officially...Stroke-less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Quote:

If the wage fits the required skill... Yes! Turnover happens because people better themselfs, government jobs should be the same, not a lifetime job, but a job to better yourself and move on...

... If you dont like a job, do you bitch about it and stay there, or find a better one...

I have been in many wal-marts, I have never seen anyone holding a gun to them requiring them to come to work... hummm I will have to look closer next time!

Prove it... Which you will find a few cases I am sure... Prove it doesnt happen more so in any other company.

FYI, there are more "minority management" then not in the corporation, from the store level to the higher up's...

How so?

... You are so full of main stream media is sick... You have no idea the crap we have to go thru on wal-mart projects to insure INS and other laws are followed, not one clue.

Just a retarded statment...

I don't.

YES! Wal-Mart makes money because they work smart...

Government looses money because they work dumb... and they have a limitless supply of funds...

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Scab

Quote:

I don't.
AMEN!!!!!! I can't wait until they union up. That will fix it

Me at deli counter: Hey can I have 2 lbs. of that roast beef thinly sliced?
Deli Person: I am the cheese cutter, they meat slicer is off on union business today and cutting meat is not in my contract. Come back tomorrow.

ADAM

2004 ECSB
1997 CCLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDPlayer View Post
NASCAR ditched all the 7.3L response vehicles cause they couldn't get out to the accident scene fast enough. When lives matter, HP wins.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:55 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin6-0 View Post

Me at deli counter: Hey can I have 2 lbs. of that roast beef thinly sliced?
Deli Person: I am the cheese cutter, they meat slicer is off on union business today and cutting meat is not in my contract. Come back tomorrow.

lol...

Good one.

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin6-0 View Post
That's the whole point.

Unions generally can't take hold if the employer is treating their employees fairly.

And I'm not talking about paying them outrageous wages.

Just treating them fairly.

And once the union is in, it doesn't matter how good an employer is.....they are very hard to get rid of.

And yes TANK, I have a lot of experience negotiating/dealing with unions............... in a management position.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode