Bid to lift liability cap in spill is blocked - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Bid to lift liability cap in spill is blocked

Bid to lift spill liability cap is blocked - Gulf oil spill- msnbc.com

Quote:
Republican Sen. James Inhofe of Oklahoma used procedural move to stop the bill from coming to the Senate floor, saying that raising the cap would hurt smaller drillers.
If they can't afford to pay for the damage they could cause they shouldn't be in business in the first place.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Gandy Dancer

Re: Bid to lift liability cap in spill is blocked

I agree.

On the other hand, Republicans protecting big business to the detriment of the populace........................ is not exactly news.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

With as much control as the Dems have, there are ways to get this passed. Why don't they?

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Gandy Dancer

Although the Dem's have a slim majority, it's not like they can just get anything they want (thank goodness).

Besides, why should the Dem's have to be the ones forcing it?

Do you suppose the Party of No would stand lockstep, once again, in opposition?

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
I can be possible.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Gandy View Post
Although the Dem's have a slim majority, it's not like they can just get anything they want (thank goodness).

Besides, why should the Dem's have to be the ones forcing it?

Do you suppose the Party of No would stand lockstep, once again, in opposition?
If it is that important shouldn't they at least try?

I suppose the repubs would use all tools to block this.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsRumors View Post
If it is that important shouldn't they at least try?
The bigger question is....................Why isn't it important to all of them?

Quote:
I can be possible.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Banning Smut

So according to the law, BP is only obligated to pay out 75 million in damages....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSUPERD View Post
So according to the law, BP is only obligated to pay out 75 million in damages....
Quote:
Federal law requires companies to pay for all environmental damage, but economic damages are now capped at $75 million.
That's the way I'm reading it for economic damages.

I assume that doesn't include any lawsuits.

Quote:
I can be possible.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Banning Smut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Gandy View Post
That's the way I'm reading it.
My father in law was telling me about that the other day. I said "you mean 75 billion?"...he was like no...."million"

I heard that was set after Valdez. Craziness.

|
|
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 01:52 PM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

Iirc, the reason for the block is the enormous amount they're raising it by (but who really knows). It was $75,000,000 before and they're trying to jump it to $10,000,000,000.

So yeah, that WOULD put just about every small driller out of business probably. It's pretty easy to sit back and say, "If they can't afford to pay for the damage they could cause they shouldn't be in business in the first place" when it's not your business, your job, or most of your state's income on the line. Not to mention the fact that the cost is just gonna get passed on to the consumer by the large companies that are left. The fact is they planned their businesses with what was law at the time. Not a number that's over 130x's more. I think it's pretty ridiculous to jump it that much all of a sudden.

I completely agree that $75,000,000 is too low, but if they want to jump it up to $10,000,000,000 it needs to be a gradual thing. Unless of course the government wants to bail out all the small drillers that can't afford it. But they only do that for large mismanaged companies, not small businesses that suffer non-self-inflicted wounds.

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode