Lets not make BP pay for the clean up - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Lets not make BP pay for the clean up

Now we all know the guberment wants to make the banks pay for the TARP funds not paid back by the likes of the insurance companies and may even GM & Chrysler. Now they don't want BP to pay for clean up.

Barack Obama plans to punish BP with tax hike as Gulf spill worsens - Times Online

Quote:
Oil companies face an immediate tax rise of 1 cent per barrel to help to pay for the clean-up in the Gulf of Mexico under proposed legislation rushed out by the White House yesterday.

The measure, unveiled as BP began a new attempt to contain the ruptured well that has leaked millions of gallons of crude oil into America’s southern coastal waters, would put an extra $500 million (£340 million) over ten years into the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund, which covers damage caused by such disasters.
BP made this mess shouldn't BP pay to clean it up?

Maybe it is because;

Obama biggest recipient of BP cash - Erika Lovley - POLITICO.com

Quote:
During his time in the Senate and while running for president, Obama received a total of $77,051 from the oil giant and is the top recipient of BP PAC and individual money over the past 20 years, according to financial disclosure records.
I guess this is just another attempt to make Obama look bad but I think it is still wrong.

BP made this mess, they should clean it up.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Gandy Dancer

Re: Lets not make BP pay for the clean up

Your title, and the implication it's because of BP's campaign contributions, are totally misleading.

Accidentally I'm sure.

Where does it say that BP won't be required to pay for the cost of cleanup? And yes, I think they should be made to pay for every single penny of damage they caused.

What I see is that the government is making sure that they will be reimbursed, for our costs incurred on this incident...................and to have money available for any future similar incident.

Quote:
The measure, unveiled as BP began a new attempt to contain the ruptured well that has leaked millions of gallons of crude oil into America’s southern coastal waters, would put an extra $500 million (£340 million) over ten years into the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund, which covers damage caused by such disasters.

Under a $118 million spending plan outlined in the package, people affected by the spill — such as fishermen who have lost their livelihoods because of the contamination — will be granted financial assistance, and federal agencies will get additional funds to monitor the slick and assess its impact.
And yes, it's pretty obvious that it's just "another attempt at making Obama look bad."

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

You didn't bother high lighting

Quote:

Under a $118 million spending plan outlined in the package, people affected by the spill — such as fishermen who have lost their livelihoods because of the contamination — will be granted financial assistance, and federal agencies will get additional funds to monitor the slick and assess its impact.
Why must we have a trust fund that is going to cover the damage if BP is going to cover the damage?

If these companies cannot foot the bill for the damage they don't need to be in a business that will cause such damage.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 12:47 PM
FNG

Great so now the taxpayers get to kick in twice for the cleanup costs

Dave G

06 F250 Lariat 4x4 leveled on 35s

4 inch flowmaster exhaust
Bulletproof diesel egr delete.
Bulletproof diesel FICM
Performance Machine & Manufacturing Coolant Filter Kit

ECM and FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes from Gearhead, Innovative and Wildman
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsRumors View Post
You didn't bother high lighting

Why must we have a trust fund that is going to cover the damage if BP is going to cover the damage?

If these companies cannot foot the bill for the damage they don't need to be in a business that will cause such damage.
Stop and think about it for a minute.

There is a tremendous upfront cost to any disaster such as this.

Legal damages take a lot longer to wind its way through the courts.

Do you have any idea how long it took to finally get a settlement out of Exxon, for the Valdez spill? (hint: It was 20 years!!)

Did you know it went all the way to the SCOTUS (who reduced the damages from previous judgments)?

And as I've already stated, I agree with you that they should be required to pay ALL damages that they cause.

So where's the argument?

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 10:19 PM
hvac man

The 1% is just going to be passed on to us when we fill up our fuel tanks. I really dont mind if it really goes into a clean up fund and not the general fund. It will end up right next to the social security "lockbox" I would guess.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 10:31 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm1962 View Post
The 1% is just going to be passed on to us when we fill up our fuel tanks. I really dont mind if it really goes into a clean up fund and not the general fund. It will end up right next to the social security "lockbox" I would guess.

Yup... another bankrupt government program...

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode