WWI Memorial Cross Stolen............... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
RightWingNut

WWI Memorial Cross Stolen...............

WWI memorial cross stolen from Mojave National Preserve

WASHINGTON — Vandals toppled and removed the 8-foot-high cross at Mojave National Preserve in California less than two weeks after the Supreme Court ruled the controversial memorial could remain on federal property.

The cross, which has stood in various forms for the last 76 years as a memorial to World War I soldiers, was stolen late Sunday night or early Monday morning, according to officials from the Liberty Institute, a conservative advocacy group that deals with church-state issues. In a statement Kelly Shackelford, the group’s president, called the actions “disgusting.”

Vandals cut through a series of metal bolts to remove the cross — still covered by a wooden box — from its concrete foundation.

The cross had been covered with plywood for 10 years as the legal fight surrounding the memorial wound through the courts. Officials from the Liberty Institute argued in favor of allowing the memorial to stand, saying that censoring the cross violated veterans’ freedom of speech and religion.

On April 28, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that the memorial did not warrant removal as an overtly religious symbol, and did not represent government endorsement of a specific religion.

In his opinion of support, Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote that “the Constitution does not oblige government to avoid any public acknowledgment of religion’s role in society” and compared the cross to the those that serve as headstones for troops killed in many American wars................

Read More Here

Tbar

Ignore narcissistic trolls.......without an audience they shrivel up and go way.....!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 04:59 PM
All done now

Re: WWI Memorial Cross Stolen...............

Hope the catch the a$$holes.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:04 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

What the hell? Do we not bury people under the cross?

I do not believe, but I am sick of the rest of the damn country trying to erase everything this country was built on...

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Yeah, it's like that

WTF? Not only should they be caught, but death by firing squad would almost be justified with how wrong their actions were.

Entrepreneurs and their small enterprises are responsible for almost all the economic growth in the United States.
Ronald Reagan
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Gandy Dancer

While I hope they catch and prosecute whomever the vandals were, I don't agree with the 5-4 decision to allow it to remain on public land.

Although the conservative leaning SCOTUS ruling was predictable, it is also obvious that a consensus on why........... is not so clear.

Quote:
In Wednesday's case, six justices wrote separate opinions and none spoke for a majority of the court.

In dissent, Justice John Paul Stevens agreed that soldiers who died in battle deserve a memorial to their service. But the government "cannot lawfully do so by continued endorsement of a starkly sectarian message," Stevens said.

Muslim and Jewish war veteran groups complained in court papers that they view the Mojave cross as a religious symbol that excludes them. The Jewish War Veterans called the cross "a powerful Christian symbol" and "not a symbol of any other religion."
SCOTUS Decision

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah, it's like that

Don't respond to Gandy's post above people, he is just trying to change the subject and trolling

Entrepreneurs and their small enterprises are responsible for almost all the economic growth in the United States.
Ronald Reagan
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Bigfoot is an OBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Gandy View Post
While I hope they catch and prosecute whomever the vandals were, I don't agree with the 5-4 decision to allow it to remain on public land.

Although the conservative leaning SCOTUS ruling was predictable, it is also obvious that a consensus on why........... is not so clear.

SCOTUS Decision
I can't figure out how to quote gandy's quote, which is what I'm refering to:

Absolutely bloody amazing.
As I recall reading, it was the jews that screamed CRUCIFY HIM. How much more relevant to their religion can it get? Even though death by crucifiction was a Roman invention, the roman governor was willing to put a thief & murder to death instead of Christ. But to please the people, Christ was crucified.

Even in the generic sense, the cross as a symbol over a grave (or graves) has always indicated to me that the person for whom it represents sacrificed themself for something or someone.

Go ARMY!
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
RightWingNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_dan View Post
Even in the generic sense, the cross as a symbol over a grave (or graves) has always indicated to me that the person for whom it represents sacrificed themself for something or someone.

Tbar

Ignore narcissistic trolls.......without an audience they shrivel up and go way.....!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Banning Smut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbar View Post

Tbar
^^^ somebody will be pulling up all those headstones soon I guess....

|
|
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirider944 View Post
Don't respond to Gandy's post above people, he is just trying to change the subject and trolling
Change the subject? Trolling?

Isn't the whole thing about the fact that a sectarian symbol....................... is on public land?

If it was just about some vandals messing with someone else's property...........Tbar wouldn't have bothered posting it in the first place.

And as I said, the vandals should be prosecuted...................just as any thief/vandal should.

PS. I like the way you think you can control other people by telling them not to post. How about you start with controlling yourself and refrain from posting?

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode