Why the Greeks are so angry - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Why the Greeks are so angry

I found this pretty interesting....FWIW

Why the Greeks are so angry - Europe- msnbc.com

I have a philosophy? Who knew. Ok, where's the beer?

In lockstep to the end of the world....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 F-250/CC/SB/4"SS Magnaflow/Evolution2/HPX/Pre pump mod/Harpoon/65psi fuel shim/FTVB/Zoodad mod/2008 Diff Cover/V-10 transmission cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Gandy Dancer

Re: Why the Greeks are so angry

Quote:
There is anger at the pervasive, high-level corruption for which no politician is ever punished. People are also furious that no government has ever tackled influence-peddling in the public sector. The Greek branch of Transparency International estimated that Greeks paid almost euro800 million ($1 billion) in bribes last year. This is another drain on household budgets but more importantly it creates a sense of injustice, a sense that to get anything done you have to play by the systemís warped rules.
Wow.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Hoosier daddy!

Wow is right... I think that would make just about anyone angry!

2001 PSD F250
Born 4/01 in KY USA,
4x4, 3.73, Ext. Cab, Shortbox...
ITP RR, CCV, Tymar Intake, Airdog, DP tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

This is the part I liked........

"Anger at corruption
They are angry because for years they have been encouraged to live beyond their means, taking advantage of the cheap credit on offer since Greece joined the euro in 2001. Now, the rug is being pulled from under their feet. People who have taken out mortgages to buy homes, loans to purchase cars and credit cards to pay for overpriced basic goods are being asked to meet all these commitments with a much lower income than they had budgeted for.

This is not what angers Greeks most, though. What you will hear time after time, both at the protests and at workplaces and cafes, is that this crisis confirms the failure of the country’s political system. In other words, that for years politicians have been bleeding the country dry, looking after themselves and their friends and failing to build a robust economy and a country equipped to deal with the challenges of the 21st century."

2002 F-250/CC/SB/4"SS Magnaflow/Evolution2/HPX/Pre pump mod/Harpoon/65psi fuel shim/FTVB/Zoodad mod/2008 Diff Cover/V-10 transmission cooler
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Gandy Dancer

Not to mention........

Quote:
The government believes that tax evasion could be worth up to euro30 billion ($38 billion) a year, or 12 percent of the country’s GDP. Allowing one part of the population to consistently get away without paying while Greece’s public finances are propped up by the same people all the time creates incredible resentment. That’s why you hear many Greeks say they will put up with the austerity measures if the government ensures that everybody pays their fair share.

If people believe that the usual suspects, who in many cases are wealthy businessmen, doctors and lawyers, are allowed to get away with it, then the level of anger will go up several notches.
It sounds like a lot of their problems are caused by those with money.................. being allowed to get away with things they shouldn't.

Gee.....that does sound familiar.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
I can be possible.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:50 PM
PSN Local

Id be angry too. It does sound familiar Gandy

1996 F-250. 5 spd, 3.55s, 292k miles, 6637 intake, 3"dp 4" straight pipe, 1.0 A/R, gutted ebpv
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy's 250 View Post
Id be angry too. It does sound familiar Gandy
I guess enough money, by big business and unscrupulous rich folks................... didn't "trickle down."

It should give pause (probably won't though), to those who advocate loosening the reins and eliminating regulations/safeguards on big business.

Quote:
I can be possible.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Gandy View Post
I guess enough money, by big business and unscrupulous rich folks................... didn't "trickle down."

It should give pause (probably won't though), to those who advocate loosening the reins and eliminating regulations/safeguards on big business.
I guess you misread the part about the Politicians.

"In other words, that for years politicians have been bleeding the country dry, looking after themselves and their friends and failing to build a robust economy and a country equipped to deal with the challenges of the 21st century."

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 11:52 PM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fddriver2 View Post
I guess you misread the part about the Politicians.
I didn't misread anything.

I just don't believe there is only one problem.

Or don't you think that skating on $38 Billion (12% of GDP) in taxes.............................. is a big ####ing deal?

Quote:
I can be possible.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 12:41 AM
PSN Local

Hey im greek

96 f-350 7.3 RCLB
5 speed 175,000 miles, AFE Intake, 5 in. Straight Ts 6 pos chip wildman tuned, rds stage 2's, *17 hpop,38r turbo with wicked wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode