Why for the last 16 yrs has this not been addressed? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Yeah, it's like that

Why for the last 16 yrs has this not been addressed?

Despite plan, not a single fire boom on hand on Gulf Coast at time of oil spill

By Ben Raines

May 03, 2010, 12:09PM

View full size(Elastec/American Marine Photo)An image provided by Carmi, Ill.-based Elastec/American Marine shows an oil burn being conducted in one of its patented Hydro-Fire Boom systems. The inflatable, fire-resistant, water-cooled boom was developed to contain surface oil and burn it offshore, helping prevent destruction of critical environmentally sensitive shoreline habitats, company officials said.
If U.S. officials had followed up on a 1994 response plan for a major Gulf oil spill, it is possible that the spill could have been kept under control and far from land.

The problem: The federal government did not have a single fire boom on hand.

View full size(AP Photo/U.S. Coast Guard, Petty Officer 1st Class Justin Sawyer)This April 28, 2010 image made from video released by the Deepwater Horizon Response Unified Command, shows an in situ burn in the Gulf of Mexico, in response to the oil spill after the explosion on the Deepwater Horizon. The "In-Situ Burn" plan produced by federal agencies in 1994 calls for responding to a major oil spill in the Gulf with the immediate use of fire booms.

But in order to conduct a successful test burn eight days after the Deepwater Horizon well began releasing massive amounts of oil into the Gulf, officials had to purchase one from a company in Illinois.

When federal officials called, Elastec/American Marine, shipped the only boom it had in stock, Jeff Bohleber, chief financial officer for Elastec, said today.

At federal officials' behest, the company began calling customers in other countries and asking if the U.S. government could borrow their fire booms for a few days, he said.

A single fire boom being towed by two boats can burn up to 1,800 barrels of oil an hour, Bohleber said. That translates to 75,000 gallons an hour, raising the possibility that the spill could have been contained at the accident scene 100 miles from shore.

ADDITIONAL READING
"They said this was the tool of last resort. No, this is absolutely the asset of first use. Get in there and start burning oil before the spill gets out of hand," Bohleber said. "If they had six or seven of these systems in place when this happened and got out there and started burning, it would have significantly lessened the amount of oil that got loose."

In the days after the rig sank, U.S Coast Guard Rear Admiral Mary Landry said the government had all the assets it needed. She did not discuss why officials waited more than a week to conduct a test burn. (Watch video footage of the test burn.)

At the time, former National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration oil spill response coordinator Ron Gouguet -- who helped craft the 1994 plan -- told the Press-Register that officials had pre-approval for burning. "The whole reason the plan was created was so we could pull the trigger right away."

Gouguet speculated that burning could have captured 95 percent of the oil as it spilled from the well.

Bohleber said that his company was bringing several fire booms from South America, and he believed the National Response Center discovered that it had one in storage.

Each boom costs a few hundred thousand dollars, Bohleber said, declining to give a specific price.

Made of flame-retardant fabric, each boom has two pumps that push water through its 500-foot length. Two boats tow the U-shaped boom through an oil slick, gathering up about 75,000 gallons of oil at a time. That oil is dragged away from the larger spill, ignited and burns within an hour, he said.

The boom can be used as long as waves are below 3 feet, Bohleber said.

"Because of the complexity of the system and the obvious longer production time to build them, the emphasis is on obtaining and gathering the systems," he said.

Bohleber said his company has conducted numerous tests with the Coast Guard since 1993, and it is now training crews on the use of the boom so workers will be ready when they arrive.

"We're arranging for six to be shipped in. We keep running into delays. Hopefully, they will be here by Wednesday to be available for use on Thursday. Bear in mind, two days ago, we thought they would be here today."

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/05/fire...ll_raines.html

We have over 3500 drilling platforms on our coasts in the Gulf, why don't we have these fire booms on hand? It's not like the odds are in our favor that something like this wasn't ever going to happen.

Entrepreneurs and their small enterprises are responsible for almost all the economic growth in the United States.
Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz

Re: Why for the last 16 yrs has this not been addressed?

Call me an extremist all you want, but something just isn't quite right about this whole thing. YES I SAID IT. Alot of things just don't add up.

2002 F-250 CCSB Lariat 4x4 7.3 Mostly stock... for now

2003 Ford Ranger Fx4 Level ll Sonic Blue with 33s"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamfighter View Post
I'm getting it in the can right now!!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Banning Smut

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N View Post
Call me an extremist all you want, but something just isn't quite right about this whole thing. YES I SAID IT. Alot of things just don't add up.
I agree with you on what is being done to "fix" the problem.

I still say the event itself was not a government conspiracy....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Yeah, it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSUPERD View Post
I agree with you on what is being done to "fix" the problem.

I still say the event itself was not a government conspiracy....
I don't think the gov't blew up the rig or sabotaged it. I don't think Obama can be blamed for not having the fire arms in place. I do question the lack of Obama and the EPA both for the length of time before they addressed the issuse.

Entrepreneurs and their small enterprises are responsible for almost all the economic growth in the United States.
Ronald Reagan
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Bigfoot is an OBS

It only works when the water is fairly calm.
I seem to remember last week they tried to do a burn of the surface oil, but the waves kept putting it out. Something about 20 foot waves being a problem, as I recall. And the weather forcast called for 30 footers within a day.

Go ARMY!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 05:44 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

The weather has been pretty nasty down here. I was in venice on sunday night and it was steady 30 mph winds.

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

PMRCM#1
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_dan View Post
It only works when the water is fairly calm.
I seem to remember last week they tried to do a burn of the surface oil, but the waves kept putting it out. Something about 20 foot waves being a problem, as I recall. And the weather forcast called for 30 footers within a day.
Exactly.

Sorry Ducati, as much as you would like to try........this ain't gonna be even close to the catastrophe of Bush's inaction after Katrina. Not only that, exactly what did you want Obama/EPA to do quicker?

"You're doing a good job Brownie."

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 08:01 PM
PSN Veteran

Ya something happens now and you compare it to something that happened when Bush was in office, same song and dance over and over again.

2006 Triple Turbo Dodge

7.3 injectors are like greeters at wal mart. They are there and they do there job, but you can't ask them to do anything quickly or they will get confused and give up.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Yeah, it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Gandy View Post
Exactly.

Sorry Ducati, as much as you would like to try........this ain't gonna be even close to the catastrophe of Bush's inaction after Katrina. Not only that, exactly what did you want Obama/EPA to do quicker?

"You're doing a good job Brownie."
Do you have anything of value to add to this thread or just your standard Bush Bash? First what are we talking about Katrina for anyway? Second, how can you bring Bush into this situation other than He should have had Fire booms on hand as should have Clinton. What is the point of our Gov't to figure out what to do if faced with this very situation, but then not follow through with actually getting the supplies needed to actually implement them in a state of emergency?

Ronald Reagan
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Gandy Dancer

I've already added "value" to a valueless thread.

You tried to point at Obama..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirider944 View Post
I do question the lack of Obama and the EPA both for the length of time before they addressed the issuse.
............and it's transparently obvious why.

You're still stinging at all of the deserved criticism of your hero Bush, for not being ready with Katrina.

Pretty simple actually.

So, keep whining about a non-issue.

You can have it from here.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode