Another Obama Promise Broken! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Yeah, it's like that

Another Obama Promise Broken!

So the VAT is coming, I thought that anyone making under $200k individually or $250 jointly wouldn't pay a single dollar more in taxes?

Volcker: Taxes likely to rise eventually to tame deficit

NEW YORK
Tue Apr 6, 2010 7:57pm EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The United States should consider raising taxes to help bring deficits under control and may need to consider a European-style value-added tax, White House adviser Paul Volcker said on Tuesday.
Volcker, answering a question from the audience at a New York Historical Society event, said the value-added tax "was not as toxic an idea" as it has been in the past and also said a carbon or other energy-related tax may become necessary.
Though he acknowledged that both were still unpopular ideas, he said getting entitlement costs and the U.S. budget deficit under control may require such moves. "If at the end of the day we need to raise taxes, we should raise taxes," he said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6355N520100406

Obama Economic Adviser Says U.S. Should Consider 'Value Added Tax'

NYPost.com

A VAT is a national sales tax that, like state and city sales taxes, would be collected by retailers.
Acknowledging it would be a highly unpopular move, White House economic adviser Paul Volcker said yesterday the United States should consider imposing a "value added tax" similar to those charged in Europe to help get the deficit under control.
A VAT is a national sales tax that, like state and city sales taxes, would be collected by retailers.
Volcker, at the New-York Historical Society, told a panel on the global financial crisis that Congress might also have to consider new taxes on carbon and energy.
The VAT suggestion was immediately met with outrage by Republicans.
"It shouldn't surprise anyone that the Obama White House would advocate a European-style tax to help finance their European-style government health-care plan," said Brian Walsh, a spokesman for the National Republican Senatorial Campaign Committee.
Click here for more on this story from the New York Post.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...lue-added-tax/

Looks like it is time to pay the piper for healthcare

Entrepreneurs and their small enterprises are responsible for almost all the economic growth in the United States.
Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Gandy Dancer

Re: Another Obama Promise Broken!

It hasn't happened yet so, my earlier statements are still true.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Yeah, it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Gandy View Post
It hasn't happened yet so, my earlier statements are still true.
I will requote my post in the other thread. What is it like to live in your little world versus reality?

Everything has a cost, the gov't is notorious for underestimating that cost to get something passed. Then reality sets in and we get to pay for their stupidity.

Entrepreneurs and their small enterprises are responsible for almost all the economic growth in the United States.
Ronald Reagan

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Gandy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirider944 View Post
Everything has a cost, the gov't is notorious for underestimating that cost to get something passed.
I agree with you.

Most of the times it's true.

Regardless of which party is doing the calculating.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 02:18 PM
<-- it's like that

Funny, the title of the thread says "Another Obama Promise Broken!". And yet, nowhere in any of those articles does it mention that Obama himself has proposed or even supported the VAT.

Yes, his economic adviser is proposing the idea. But last time I checked Paul Volcker was not Barak Obama. In addition, the idea of a VAT here in the states has been floating around for 4 decades now. So I'm not holding my breath just yet. At this point, it doesn't seem to be having the same public raving support from Obama as health care did.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Yeah, it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
Funny, the title of the thread says "Another Obama Promise Broken!". And yet, nowhere in any of those articles does it mention that Obama himself has proposed or even supported the VAT.

Yes, his economic adviser is proposing the idea. But last time I checked Paul Volcker was not Barak Obama. In addition, the idea of a VAT here in the states has been floating around for 4 decades now. So I'm not holding my breath just yet. At this point, it doesn't seem to be having the same public raving support from Obama as health care did.
Nancy "puppet" Pelosi has been on the record as being for it, is she not part of Obama's Administration? Has Obama come out and said he isn't for the VAT? Did he not spout off for the year befor he got elected that he would not raise taxes on families that make less than $250k? Would this not raise taxes on everyone? As the idea of the VAT it has been brought up before, you are correct, but tell the rest of that story. Tell how when it was brought up in the past by conservitives, it was brought up as a replacement for the income tax system, which I would support. Then everyone gets to pay it, even all the people that are drug runners, prostitues, waitresses that don't claim thier tips, strippers, basically everyone that is cash services that only report a portion of thier earnings. This will be an addition to income taxes, not a replacement.

Ronald Reagan
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 03:57 PM

Pelosi is not part of the Obama Administration. He did not appoint her, he cannot fire her. The people (using term loosely) in Cali elected her. Big difference in my opinion.

Obama has appointed many that are for higher taxes, more government, etc, etc. If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, blah blah blah.

With that said, I BELIEVE a V.A.T. is coming. It will appear to be a small percentage and most people will complain for a litltle while until the sting wears off.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Yeah, it's like that

She was elected before Obama was, this is true, but show me something that Obama wanted that she didn't fight tooth and nail for? She is nothing but Obama's puppet here. Look at the health care bill, look at Cap-N-Tax. Show me something that Obama has wanted and she said no? She is a crack head and Obama is her dealer. Do you really think she would go on the record for VAT or anything else if Obama wasn't on the same page?

Ronald Reagan
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 04:25 PM

Oh, they have the same ideals I was just pointing out she was not part of his administration. They are alies and she will try to give him everything he asks for.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 05:18 PM
<-- it's like that

Quote:
Nancy "puppet" Pelosi has been on the record as being for it, is she not part of Obama's Administration?
Nope, she isn't.

Quote:
Has Obama come out and said he isn't for the VAT?
No, he hasn't. But the title of the thread, and the content of your posts in this thread suggests that you are already accusing him of pushing for VAT.

His economic advisor has voiced his support for it, not Obama himself. Yet this thread is a fine example of how easily a story gets distorted out of proportion.

Quote:
Did he not spout off for the year befor he got elected that he would not raise taxes on families that make less than $250k? Would this not raise taxes on everyone?
Who here in this thread is supporting VAT?

Quote:
As the idea of the VAT it has been brought up before, you are correct, but tell the rest of that story.
As opposed to what? Making up stories? Making up the idea that it was Obama that proposed this rather than his economic adviser?

Quote:
Tell how when it was brought up in the past by conservitives, it was brought up as a replacement for the income tax system, which I would support. Then everyone gets to pay it, even all the people that are drug runners, prostitues, waitresses that don't claim thier tips, strippers, basically everyone that is cash services that only report a portion of thier earnings. This will be an addition to income taxes, not a replacement.
Yes, that's fine and dandy. But it still has nothing to do with Obama himself proposing a VAT to the nation.

A suggestion.... next time title the thread correctly, otherwise people make assumptions about the story to follow, and mis-interpret the information. If you were a writer for a newspaper, this would be called biased and/or misleading reporting.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode