Obama Transportation Secretary: ‘This Is the End of Favoring Motorized Transportation - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
RightWingNut

Obama Transportation Secretary: ‘This Is the End of Favoring Motorized Transportation

Ok gentlemen........in our rush to more resemble China the great leader's cabinet has deemed that future highway planning will favor bicycles over automobiles. Please sell those big arse trucks and get on the two wheel band wagon.

Quote:
(CNSNews.com) - Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood has announced that federal transportation policies will no longer favor “motorized” transportation, such as cars and trucks, over “non-motorized” transportation, such as walking and bicycling.

LaHood signed the new policy directive on March 11, the same day he attended a congressional reception for the National Bike Summit, a convention sponsored by a bicycling advocacy group, the League of American Bicyclists. LaHood publicly announced his agency’s new direction four days later in a posting on his blog—“Fast Lane: The Official Blog of the U.S. Secretary of Transportation”--where he effusively described it as a “sea change” for the United States.

“Today, I want to announce a sea change,” LaHood wrote. “People across America who value bicycling should have a voice when it comes to transportation planning. This is the end of favoring motorized transportation at the expense of non-motorized.”

CNSNews.com - Obama Transportation Secretary: ‘This Is the End of Favoring Motorized Transportation at the Expense of Non-Motorized’

Tbar

Ignore narcissistic trolls.......without an audience they shrivel up and go way.....!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:43 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Obama Transportation Secretary: ‘This Is the End of Favoring Motorized Transporta

a bike would be fine if I only had to travel a mile or two- didn't have to haul tools and materials, and didn't have to ride in snow and on ice!? AZZHAT!

1997 f250 4x4 sclb, auto, 3.55's, 191k, diy intake w 6637, ccv mod, pyro, boost, trans gauges, 3" dp to 4" single exh. super chips for now. scangauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Besides there is absolutely no way to idiot proof something, since they are always coming out with better idiots by the day
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:53 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Obama Transportation Secretary: ‘This Is the End of Favoring Motorized Transporta

I might support this a little if the bikes and riders were licensed, have to buy insurance on their bikes along with paying a federal highway tax.

This guy is a joke just like the rest of his cabinet. They need to pack up and come out west and try and ride a bike to work 30 miles away in the summer and winter in a blizzard. They think that the good old USA ends at the outskirts of DC.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:59 AM
Caption This

I like it, Free bicycles and pink shorts for everyone.

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:14 AM
Gandy Dancer

A little over reaction I think.

Ensuring that there are bike/walking trails for short distances and encouraging public transit, where it's feasible.........sounds exactly like the direction we should be going.

We hear people whining about the cost of fuel yet, at the same time that they have no problem jumping in their vehicle and going up to the store a mile away to pick up a 6-pack.

Not to mention the high % of vehicles (mine included), that have only one person in it 90% of the time.

I don't hear anything about trying to take away our vehicles or letting the highway system go to ruin. Just that we need to put some emphasis on other modes of transportation.

Besides, this could also benefit our country's obesity problem and make the new health care reform even less expensive.

Quote:
“The establishment of well-connected walking and bicycling networks is an important component for livable communities, and their design should be a part of Federal-aid project developments,” said LaHood's policy statement.

“Because of the benefits they provide, transportation agencies should give the same priority to walking and bicycling as is given to other transportation modes,” it said.

LaHood's policy statement envisions the development of a transportation system in which people walk and bike for short distances and rely on mass transit for longer trips. “The primary goal of a transportation system is to safely and efficiently move people and goods,” said LaHood's statement. “Walking and bicycling are efficient transportation modes for most short trips and, where convenient intermodal systems exist, these nonmotorized trips can easily be linked with transit to significantly increase trip distance.

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:41 AM
Caption This

maybe if we give the bikers a little voice we can invent a bike tag for a little fee.

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:57 AM
Gandy Dancer

Sounds like a good idea to me.

And then get them off of the road, as much as possible, where they think they should have the right-of-way all the time but, shouldn't have to obey little things like stop signs and traffic lights!

Never have so many politicians, screwed so many Americans...just to make one black person lose his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I can be possible.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:40 AM
PSN Veteran

thing I hate about the city bikers is they will expect the whole lane when they are riding between stop lights, but then they ride up past 5 or 6 cars to get to the front of the line and you have to pass them again "legally", but they pass you illegally when they come up along side you. I've been known to just about touch the curb with my tires in these situations

1997 f250 4x4 sclb, auto, 3.55's, 191k, diy intake w 6637, ccv mod, pyro, boost, trans gauges, 3" dp to 4" single exh. super chips for now. scangauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Besides there is absolutely no way to idiot proof something, since they are always coming out with better idiots by the day

Last edited by bluedge8; 03-28-2010 at 03:48 AM. Reason: spelling
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:44 AM
Haters Gonna Hate

Send a message via MSN to Fordfreak4life

just for that ima door every biker i see drivin' on MY road, plain and simple, if i wanted to ride a bike i wouldnt have grown up

2004 F-350 CCSB DRW Sport Package..... something else to spend money on
Proud Supporter of Race For The Warriors
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 06:00 AM
<-- it's like that

Too bad the article doesn't quote or even link the actual "policy" passed.

What I also find funny is this they quote data from "fiscal 2008", when Bush was clearly in office. Yet somehow it's blamed on Obama. Weird how nut-job fake news sources work.

You guys actually buy this as real news? Give me a break.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode