The Crooked Steeple - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert

The Crooked Steeple

May 19 | Bible in a Year: 1 Chronicles 7-9; John 6:22-44

The Crooked Steeple

My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.
2 Corinthians 12:9
READ 2 CORINTHIANS 12:1–10

Turns out that crooked church steeples make people nervous. When we visited some friends, they shared how, after a fierce windstorm, their church’s proud steeple was crooked, causing some alarm.

Of course, the church quickly repaired the flagging spire, but the humorous image got me thinking. Often church is seen as a place where everything is expected to look perfect; it’s not seen as a place where we can show up crooked. Right?

But in a fallen, broken world, all of us are “crooked,” each with our own collection of natural weaknesses. We might be tempted to keep our vulnerabilities under wraps, but Scripture encourages the opposite attitude. In 2 Corinthians 12, for example, Paul suggests that it’s in our weaknesses—for him, an unnamed struggle he calls a “thorn in my flesh” (v. 7)—that Christ is most likely to reveal His power. Jesus had told Paul, “My power is made perfect in weakness” (v. 9). So Paul concluded, “For Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong” (v. 10).

We may not like our imperfections, but hiding them only denies Jesus’s power to work within those aspects of ourselves. When we invite Jesus into the crooked places in us, He gently mends and redeems in ways our effort could never accomplish.
By Adam Holz

REFLECT & PRAY
Invite Jesus into your imperfections for His mending.
What are some of the “crooked” places in your life? In what ways have you seen God work through your imperfections?

Your gift changes lives. Help us share God’s love with millions every day.
SUPPORT

SCRIPTURE INSIGHT
Paul had a vision of heaven where he received “great revelations” (2 Corinthians 12:7). Because of this great privilege, Paul was given a “thorn in [his] flesh” (v. 7). This “thorn” is not specifically identified, which enables us to relate to Paul’s experience. Even though we haven’t had visions of heaven, we all know what it is to suffer from a metaphorical “thorn in the flesh.” Our problems compel us to rely on God. Tim Gustafson

David Lott
Quote:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode