Expect Delays - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert

Expect Delays

March 12 | Bible in a Year: Deuteronomy 17-19; Mark 13:1-20

Expect Delays

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.
Proverbs 16:9
READ PROVERBS 16:1–3, 9

Are you kidding me? I was already late. But the road sign ahead instructed me to adjust my expectations: “Expect Delays,” it announced. Traffic was slowing down.

I had to laugh: I expect things to work on my ideal timeline; I don’t expect road construction.

On a spiritual level, few of us plan for crises that slow us down or reroute our lives. Yet, if I think about it, I can recall many times when circumstances redirected me—in big ways and small. Delays happen.

Solomon never saw a sign that said, “Expect Delays.” But in Proverbs 16, he does contrast our plans with God’s providential guidance. The Message paraphrases verse 1 as follows: “Mortals make elaborate plans, but GOD has the last word.” Solomon restates that idea in verse 9, where he adds that even though we “plan [our] course . . . the LORD establishes [our] steps.” In other words, we have ideas about what’s supposed to happen, but sometimes God has another path for us.

How do I lose track of this spiritual truth? I make my plans, sometimes forgetting to ask Him what His plans are. I get frustrated when interruptions interfere.

But in place of that worrying, we could, as Solomon teaches, grow in simply trusting that God guides us, step-by-step, as we prayerfully seek Him, await His leading, and—yes—allow Him to continually redirect us.
By Adam Holz

REFLECT & PRAY
Trade anxiety for trust. God will guide your way.
How do you typically face unexpected delays and detours? When frustrations come, what will help you lean into God and trust Him more?

Your gift changes lives. Help us share God’s love with millions every day.
SUPPORT

INSIGHT
The proverbs are not step-by-step instructions on what to do in each and every moment. Rather, they give us general principles for wise living. They show us how to interact with our fellow human beings and how to keep from being foolish—or how to stop being foolish. When we practice the wisdom of the proverbs, we’re far less likely to rush into ill-conceived plans. We learn to leverage the resources God has already given us. In the process we grow, and we spare ourselves untold disaster. The proverbs don’t tell us what plans to make; they teach us to make wise plans and commit them to the Lord (Proverbs 16:3). Tim Gustafson

David Lott
Quote:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode