Discovering My True Self - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert

Discovering My True Self

February 9 | Bible in a Year: Leviticus 6-7; Matthew 25:1-30

Discovering My True Self

We know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.
1 John 3:2
READ 1 JOHN 2:28–3:3

Who am I? That’s the question a faded stuffed animal asks himself in the children’s book Nothing by Mick Inkpen. Left in a dusty corner of an attic, the animal hears movers call him “nothing” and thinks that’s his name: Nothing.
Encounters with other animals spark memories. Nothing realizes that he used to have a tail, whiskers, and stripes. But it’s not until he meets a tabby cat who helps him find his way home that Nothing remembers who he truly is: a stuffed cat named Toby. His owner lovingly restores him, sewing on new ears, tail, whiskers, and stripes.

Whenever I read this book, I think about my own identity. Who am I? John, writing to believers, said that God has called us His children (1 John 3:1). We don’t fully understand that identity, but when we see Jesus, we will be like him (v. 2). Just like Toby the cat, we will one day be restored to the identity intended for us, which has been marred by sin. For now, we can understand that identity in part, and we can recognize the image of God in each other. But one day, when we see Jesus, we will be fully restored to the identity God intended for us. We will be made new.
By Amy Peterson

REFLECT & PRAY
God, thank You for rescuing us and restoring us.
Where do I find my identity? According to Scripture, how does God view me?

Your gift changes lives. Help us share God’s love with millions every day.
SUPPORT

In addition to 1, 2, and 3 John, the apostle John also wrote the gospel of John and Revelation. In today’s text he describes how one day we’ll see Christ with our own eyes (1 John 3:1-2). He also includes some mysterious phrases: “What we will be has not yet been made known” and “when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is” (3:2). Genesis 1:27 says, “God created mankind in his own image.” So, aren’t we already like Him? Yes, and yet not fully. Romans 8:29 tells us we’re being “conformed to the image of [God’s] Son.” God is transforming us through the process of sanctification, and this process won’t be complete until we’re in His presence. On that day, we will be perfect like Jesus and sin will plague us no more. Alyson Kieda

David Lott
Quote:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode