post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert

Itís Good to Ask

January 2 | Bible in a Year: Genesis 4-6; Matthew 2

Itís Good to Ask

Show me the way I should go.
Psalm 143:8
READ PSALM 143:4Ė11

My father has always had a directional sense Iíve envied. Heís just instinctively known where north, south, east, and west are. Itís like he was born with that sense. And heís always been right. Until the night he wasnít.
That was the night my father got lost. He and my mother attended an event in an unfamiliar town and left after dark. He was convinced he knew the way back to the highway, but he didnít. He got turned around, then confused, and ultimately frustrated. My mother reassured him, ďI know itís hard, but ask your phone for directions. Itís okay.Ē

For the first time in his life that Iím aware of, my seventy-six-year-old father asked for directions. From his phone.

The psalmist was a man with a wealth of life experience. But the psalms reveal moments when it appears David felt lost spiritually and emotionally. Psalm 143 contains one of those times. The great kingís heart was dismayed (v. 4). He was in trouble (v. 11). So he paused and prayed, ďShow me the way I should goĒ (v. 8). And far from counting on a phone, the psalmist cried out to the Lord, ďfor to you I entrust my lifeĒ (v. 8).

If the ďman after [Godís] own heartĒ (1 Samuel 13:14) felt lost from time to time, itís a given we too will need to turn to God for His direction.
By John Blasť

REFLECT & PRAY
Asking God for direction is more than okayóitís best.

What has caused you to feel turned around, possibly confused, maybe even frustrated these days? Why might you be resisting asking God and others for help?

Welcome to John Blase! Meet all our authors at odb.org/all-authors.

Your gift changes lives. Help us share Godís love with millions every day.
SUPPORT

INSIGHT
The word spirit is used several times in Psalm 143. Twice David refers to the weakness of his own spirit (vv. 4, 7), and once he asks the Spirit of the Lord for guidance (v. 10). Was David referring to the Holy Spirit in his request for guidance? Having both the Old and New Testaments at their disposal, Christians have a more comprehensive understanding of the person and work of the Holy Spirit than ancient Israelites who lacked full revelation. Most of the time when the Spirit of God is referred to in the Old Testament, the author isnít thinking of the Holy Spirit as a person, even though we understand thatís who was at work. Instead the writers were referring to Godís power, the ďbreathĒ of God that empowered and moved people. So when David asks the Spirit to ďlead me on level groundĒ (v. 10), heís asking for Godís empowering presence to go with him. J.R. Hudberg

David Lott
Quote:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode