The Day I Couldn’t Pray - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Powerstroke Racer
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert
 
Powerstroke Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston Tx
Posts: 7,726
The Day I Couldn’t Pray

The Day I Couldn’t Pray
September 28, 2017

Read: Romans 8:22–26
Bible in a Year: Isaiah 5–6; Ephesians 1

The Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.—Romans 8:26

In November 2015, I learned I needed open-heart surgery. Surprised and a little shaken, I was naturally drawn to think about the possibility of death. Were there relationships I needed to mend? Were there financial matters I needed to attend to for my family? Was there work that could be done ahead of time? And what about work that couldn’t wait; who should I hand that off to? It was a time to both act and pray.

Except I couldn’t do either.

My body was so weary and my mind so fatigued that even the simplest of tasks seemed beyond my strength. Perhaps most surprising, when I tried to pray, my thoughts would drift to the discomfort, or the shallow breathing caused by the damaged heart made me fall asleep. It was frustrating. I couldn’t work and I couldn’t even ask God to let me live so I could spend more time with my family!

The inability to pray troubled me most. But as with all other human needs, the Creator knew this was happening to me. I would eventually recall He made two preparations for such occurrences: the prayer of the Spirit for us when we can’t pray (Rom. 8:26), and the prayer of others on our behalf (James 5:16; Gal. 6:2).

What a comfort it was to know that the Holy Spirit was even then raising my concerns before the Father. What a gift also to hear from friends and family as they prayed for me. Then came another surprise: As my friends and family asked me what to pray for, it became clear that my answers to them were also being heard by God as prayers. What a gift it is in a time of uncertainty to be reminded God hears our heart even when we think we can’t call out to Him. —Randy Kilgore

God never leaves the voices of His children unheard.

INSIGHT: Anyone who has traveled to a foreign country can understand the value of a good translator. Someone who is familiar with our language and that of the country we are visiting knows how to choose just the right words to communicate clearly.

Have you ever been in a situation so perplexing you didn’t know the right words to use when you prayed? Because of our limited perspective and the distraction of our sinful inclinations we can sometimes struggle with prayer. Yet God the Holy Spirit is our intercessor. He groans with our concerns as He Himself makes our prayers conform to the will of God. It’s a comfort that the Holy Spirit knows our own limitations and weaknesses and translates our requests to God in conformity with His will.

In what ways does understanding the intercession of the Holy Spirit comfort you when you find it hard to pray? Dennis Fisher

Share your thoughts on today’s devotional on Facebook or www.odb.org.

David Lott
Quote:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Powerstroke Racer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 12:25 AM
Master BS'er
 
jamiesaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 5,749
Re: The Day I Couldn’t Pray

I gotta hand it to ya man, you are dedicated. Must be important to you. We appreciate the effort.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
jamiesaun is offline  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert
 
Powerstroke Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston Tx
Posts: 7,726
Re: The Day I Couldn’t Pray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
I gotta hand it to ya man, you are dedicated. Must be important to you. We appreciate the effort.
Jamie Thanks , Long story short I have always worked hard and believed that a man should take care of his family like my dad did, but somewhere along the way I lost sight of what being a good husband and father was. I worked my tail off to buy material things for me, the wife and kids but was always too busy to spend time with them and after awhile the wife moved out and at first I thought great I can do whatever I want but soon realized that it was no fun without her. I met her in 1988 when she was 15 and in 2010 was when she moved out so you can say I basically raised her and had spent most of my adult life with her, after a week it was killing me not to have her around and of course she didn't believe ANY promises I made to her that I would change and all the other things you come up with to get them to change their mind. After a month when I realized she was not coming back I cried out to God that if he would save my marriage I would put Him first above all else, that I would read my Bible every day and pray every day. I promised to tithe and live by His word, to share his word every day without fail, that was roughly 7 years ago and I have managed to do it every day. She came home and said she would give it another try, having the Same work ethic I worked less hours at work but started receiving many more assets and financial blessings that I can’t even begin to count and best of all I have a TRUE Joy in my life. I sleep like a baby at night with no worries, every seemingly huge problem that comes along in business always mysteriously works itself out and we have never had a better relationship, so yes it is very important to me to keep my promise and commitment to the God that changed my life. And if my story helps somebody else along the way that is icing on the cake.
'Cody' likes this.

David Lott
Quote:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Powerstroke Racer is offline  
 
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 10:28 PM
Master BS'er
 
jamiesaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 5,749
Re: The Day I Couldn’t Pray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke Racer View Post
Jamie Thanks , Long story short I have always worked hard and believed that a man should take care of his family like my dad did, but somewhere along the way I lost sight of what being a good husband and father was. I worked my tail off to buy material things for me, the wife and kids but was always too busy to spend time with them and after awhile the wife moved out and at first I thought great I can do whatever I want but soon realized that it was no fun without her. I met her in 1988 when she was 15 and in 2010 was when she moved out so you can say I basically raised her and had spent most of my adult life with her, after a week it was killing me not to have her around and of course she didn't believe ANY promises I made to her that I would change and all the other things you come up with to get them to change their mind. After a month when I realized she was not coming back I cried out to God that if he would save my marriage I would put Him first above all else, that I would read my Bible every day and pray every day. I promised to tithe and live by His word, to share his word every day without fail, that was roughly 7 years ago and I have managed to do it every day. She came home and said she would give it another try, having the Same work ethic I worked less hours at work but started receiving many more assets and financial blessings that I can’t even begin to count and best of all I have a TRUE Joy in my life. I sleep like a baby at night with no worries, every seemingly huge problem that comes along in business always mysteriously works itself out and we have never had a better relationship, so yes it is very important to me to keep my promise and commitment to the God that changed my life. And if my story helps somebody else along the way that is icing on the cake.
Well good job man. Just remember God made it possible, but you did it. Don't forget to give yourself a little credit from time to time.

Tak care

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
jamiesaun is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome