LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert

Whatís Your Fatherís Name?

Whatís Your Fatherís Name?
September 15, 2017

Read: John 8:39Ė47
Bible in a Year: Proverbs 22Ė24; 2 Corinthians 8

To those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.óJohn 1:12

When I went to buy a cell phone in the Middle East, I was asked the typical questions: name, nationality, address. But then as the clerk was filling out the form, he asked, ďWhatís your fatherís name?Ē That question surprised me, and I wondered why it was important. Knowing my fatherís name would not be important in my culture, but here it was necessary in order to establish my identity. In some cultures, ancestry is important.

The Israelites believed in the importance of ancestry too. They were proud of their patriarch Abraham, and they thought being part of Abrahamís clan made them Godís children. Their human ancestry was connected, in their opinion, to their spiritual family.

Hundreds of years later when Jesus was talking with the Jews, He pointed out that this was not so. They could say Abraham was their earthly ancestor, but if they didnít love Himóthe One sent by the Fatheróthey were not part of Godís family.

The same applies today. We donít choose our human family, but we can decide the spiritual family we belong to. If we believe in Jesusís name, God gives us the right to become His children (John 1:12).

Who is your spiritual Father? Have you decided to follow Jesus? Let this be the day you trust in Jesus for the forgiveness of your sins and become part of Godís family. óKeila Ochoa

Dear Lord, You are my heavenly and eternal Father. Thank You for Jesus, my Savior.

God is our Eternal Father.

INSIGHT: The Israelites of Jesusís day had many Old Testament heroes, but three soared above the rest. David was the great king who established the city of Jerusalem and stabilized the kingdom. Moses was the leader who was given the law of God. He was Godís instrument of deliverance and led the Israelites to the threshold of the land of promise. But their most ancient hero was Abrahamóthe father of the faithful and the man whose faith was counted to him as righteousness. Jesus, however, surpasses this great heritage, for through Him we become children of God Himself. Bill Crowder

Share your thoughts on todayís devotional on Facebook or www.odb.org.

David Lott
Quote:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode