LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Ruler of the Waves

Ruler of the Waves
March 7, 2017

Read: Job 38:1–18
Bible in a Year: Deuteronomy 3–4; Mark 10:32–52

[The Lord said], “This far you may come and no farther; here is where your proud waves halt.”—Job 38:11

King Canute was one of the most powerful men on earth in the eleventh century. In a now-famous tale, it is said that he ordered his chair to be placed on the shore as the tide was rising. “You are subject to me,” he said to the sea. “I command you, therefore, not to rise on to my land, nor to wet the clothing or limbs of your master.” But the tide continued to rise, drenching the king’s feet.

This story is often told to draw attention to Canute’s pride. Actually, it’s a story about humility. “Let all the world know that the power of kings is empty,” Canute says next, “save Him by whose will heaven, earth and sea obey.” Canute’s story makes a point: God is the only all-powerful One.

Job discovered the same. Compared to the One who laid Earth’s foundations (Job 38:4-7), who commands morning to appear and night to end (vv. 12-13), who stocks the storehouses of the snow and directs the stars (vv. 22, 31-33), we are small. There is only one Ruler of the waves, and it is not us (v. 11; Matt. 8:23-27).

Canute’s story is good to reenact when we begin feeling too clever or proud about ourselves. Walk to the beach and tell the tide to halt or try commanding the sun to step aside. We’ll soon remember who is really supreme and thank Him for ruling our lives. —Sheridan Voysey

You are high and above all, Lord Almighty. I bow to You as the Ruler of my life.

Our Daily Bread welcomes writer Sheridan Voysey! Meet Sheridan and all our authors at odb.org/all-authors.

God is great, we are small, and that is good.

INSIGHT: The book of Job reflects on the question that continues to trouble the human race: “Why do bad things happen to good people?” Job’s friends accused him of having some secret sin that resulted in divine punishment. But God rebuked this unfounded view. The question of why the righteous suffer is not answered. However, because God is supreme over all creation (38:2-40:2; 40:7-41:34), we can trust Him even when we don’t understand. What can you trust God for today? Dennis Fisher

Share your thoughts on today’s devotional on Facebook or www.odb.org.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode