post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert

Hearing God

Hearing God
October 30, 2016

Read: 1 Samuel 3:1-10
Bible in a Year: Jeremiah 20-21; 2 Timothy 4

Samuel said, ďSpeak, for your servant is listening.Ēó1 Samuel 3:10

I felt like I was underwater, sounds muffled and muted by a cold and allergies. For weeks I struggled to hear clearly. My condition made me realize how much I take my hearing for granted.

Young Samuel in the temple must have wondered what he was hearing as he struggled out of sleep at the summons of his name (1 Sam. 3:4). Three times he presented himself before Eli, the high priest. Only the third time did Eli realize it was the Lord speaking to Samuel. The word of the Lord had been rare at that time (v. 1), and the people were not in tune with His voice. But Eli instructed Samuel how to respond (v. 9).

The Lord speaks much more now than in the days of Samuel. The letter to the Hebrews tells us, ďIn the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets . . . but in these last days he has spoken to us by his SonĒ (1:1-2).

And in Acts 2 we read of the coming of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost (vv. 1-4), who guides us in the things Christ taught us (John 16:13). But we need to learn to hear His voice and respond in obedience. Like me with my cold, we may hear as if underwater. We need to test what we think is the Lordís guidance with the Bible and with other mature Christians. As Godís beloved children, we do hear His voice. He loves to speak life into us. óAmy Boucher Pye

Open our eyes, Lord, that we might see You. Open our ears, that we may hear You. Open our mouths, that we might speak Your praise.

The Lord speaks to His children, but we need to discern His voice.

INSIGHT: God has communicated in various ways throughout history (Heb. 1:1). One way God speaks today is through our conscience (Rom. 2:14-16). Our conscience is like a moral monitor. An important way we discern whether a spiritual communication has God as its source is to ask: Does the message agree with the Bible, Godís written Word? If it does not align with Godís previously revealed truth, then we cannot put our stamp of approval on it. Jim Townsend

Share your thoughts on todayís devotional on Facebook or Our Daily Bread.

David Lott
Quote:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode