post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert

Godís Sandpaper

Our Daily Bread -- Godís Sandpaper
July 26, 2016

Read: Proverbs 27:5-17
Bible in a Year: Psalms 40-42; Acts 27:1-26

As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another. óProverbs 27:17

My friendís words stung. Trying to sleep, I battled to stop mulling over her pointed comments about my strong opinions. As I lay there, I asked for Godís wisdom and peace. Several weeks later, still concerned about the matter, I prayed, ďI hurt, Lord, but show me where I need to change. Show me where sheís right.Ē

My friend had acted as Godís sandpaper in my life. My feelings felt rubbed raw, but I sensed that how I responded would lead to the building of my characteróor not. My choice was to submit to the smoothing process, confessing my pride and stubborn stance. I sensed that my bumps and imperfections didnít glorify the Lord.

King Solomon knew that life in community could be difficult, a theme he addressed in the book of Proverbs. In chapter 27, we see his wisdom applied to relationships. He likens the sharp words between friends as iron sharpening iron: ďAs iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens anotherĒ (v. 17), shaving off the rough edges in each otherís behavior. The process may bring about wounds, such as the hurt I felt from my friendís words (see v. 6), but ultimately the Lord can use these words to help and encourage us to make needed changes in our attitude and behavior.

How might the Lord be smoothing out your rough edges for His glory? óAmy Boucher Pye

Lord, this shaping process hurts, but I want to submit to the process. Mold me and smooth me.

The Lord allows our rough edges to be smoothed over through the sandpaper of life.

INSIGHT: The book of Proverbs has much to say about relationships (10:12; 16:28; 17:9-10; 18:24) and the importance of godly friends (12:26; 13:20; 14:7; 20:19; 22:5, 24-25; 24:1-2). In todayís passage Solomon extols the value of having a true friend (27:5-6, 9-10, 17). Trustworthy friends are those who love enough to confront and provide correction; they are not afraid to offer a painful rebuke in order to protect you from harm (vv. 5-6). Their heartfelt and honest counsel is welcomed like the delightful aromas of perfumes and incense (v. 9). A true friend is one who makes you a better person (v. 17). Sim Kay Tee

Share your thoughts on todayís devotional on Facebook or Our Daily Bread.

David Lott
Quote:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode