New Gun Non-ownership law proposed! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up New Gun Non-ownership law proposed!

Vermont - Fred Maslack State Rep.

Finally a representative who read the constitution and has the balls to throw it out there.

Quote:
"Vermont State Rep.. Fred Maslack has read the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution as well as Vermont's own Constitution very carefully, and his interpretation of these documents is popping some eyeballs in New England and elsewhere.

Maslack recently proposed a bill to register non-gun-owners and require them to pay a $500 fee to the state. Thus Vermont would become the first state to require a permit for the luxury of going about unarmed and assess a fee of $500 for the privilege of not owning a gun.

Maslack read the "militia" phrase of the Second Amendment as not only affirming the right of the individual citizen to bear arms, but as a clear mandate to do so. He believes that universal gun ownership was advocated by the Framers of the Constitution as an antidote to a "monopoly of force" by the government as well as criminals.

Vermont's constitution states explicitly that "the people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the State" and those persons who "conscientiously scrupulous of bearing arms" shall be required to "pay such equivalent." Clearly, says Maslack, Vermonters have a constitutional obligation to arm themselves so that they are capable of responding to "any situation that may arise".

Under the bill, adults who choose not to own a firearm would be required to register their name, address, Social Security Number, and driver's license number with the state. "There is a legitimate government interest in knowing who is prepared to defend the state should they be asked to do so," Maslack says.

Vermont already boasts a high rate of gun ownership along with the least restrictive laws of any state - it's currently the only state that allows a citizen to carry a concealed firearm without a permit. This combination of plenty of guns and few laws regulating them has resulted in a crime rate that is the third lowest in the nation."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Go Big or Go Home!!!

Re: New Gun Non-ownership law proposed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
Vermont - Fred Maslack State Rep.

Finally a representative who read the constitution and has the balls to throw it out there.
Quote:
"Vermont State Rep.. Fred Maslack has read the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution as well as Vermont's own Constitution very carefully, and his interpretation of these documents is popping some eyeballs in New England and elsewhere.

Maslack recently proposed a bill to register non-gun-owners and require them to pay a $500 fee to the state. Thus Vermont would become the first state to require a permit for the luxury of going about unarmed and assess a fee of $500 for the privilege of not owning a gun.

Maslack read the "militia" phrase of the Second Amendment as not only affirming the right of the individual citizen to bear arms, but as a clear mandate to do so. He believes that universal gun ownership was advocated by the Framers of the Constitution as an antidote to a "monopoly of force" by the government as well as criminals.

Vermont's constitution states explicitly that "the people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the State" and those persons who "conscientiously scrupulous of bearing arms" shall be required to "pay such equivalent." Clearly, says Maslack, Vermonters have a constitutional obligation to arm themselves so that they are capable of responding to "any situation that may arise".

Under the bill, adults who choose not to own a firearm would be required to register their name, address, Social Security Number, and driver's license number with the state. "There is a legitimate government interest in knowing who is prepared to defend the state should they be asked to do so," Maslack says.

Vermont already boasts a high rate of gun ownership along with the least restrictive laws of any state - it's currently the only state that allows a citizen to carry a concealed firearm without a permit. This combination of plenty of guns and few laws regulating them has resulted in a crime rate that is the third lowest in the nation."
That is awesome!!! Every state should be like this!

2003 F-350 CC 6.0 (SOLD)
PERFORMANCE
~SCT Tuned By Eric @ Innovative Diesel
~MBRP 4in Turbo-Back Dual 5in Tips
~aFe Stage-2 Cold Air Intake
~Zoodad Mod
EXTERIOR
~6.5" Procomp all spring lift
~37" Mickey Thompson ATZ's
~18" XD Badlands "Black Magic"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:02 PM

AND THIS ONE IS FOR ALL THE GUN HATER'S OUT THERE!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Bigfoot is an OBS

Rock on!

Go ARMY!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 07:33 PM
oil burner

AWESOME!!!

96 f250, ZF5,160cc,
300k miles

96 f350 plow truck
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 07:52 PM
PSN Veteran

So the state will charge you $500 for not owning a gun?

Pete

2003 F250 FX4 Lariat Crew Cab

No Spray, No Lay...

Custom tuned and sponsored by GoGo Diesel.

Speed never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you. Jeremy Clarkson. Top Gear.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 07:52 PM
HRT Performance

I like it! I veiw guns exaclty like horsepower - I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

2006 Dmax MPI compounds
2015 VW Jetta TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 08:29 PM
id: 5520

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckman150 View Post
That is awesome!!! Every state should be like this!
Sounds pretty insane to me.. I own plenty of guns and have been shooting since I was 12 years old so don't get me wrong but what I just read is another bunch of solialism crap.
What the hell happened to doing what you want with YOUR own time and money.
I'm getting sick of all these moron's trying tell everybody else how to live, what to drive, where you can smoke, that you need to buy health insurance or you will pay a fine..

Wake up people!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 09:03 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsah View Post
Sounds pretty insane to me.. I own plenty of guns and have been shooting since I was 12 years old so don't get me wrong but what I just read is another bunch of solialism crap.
What the hell happened to doing what you want with YOUR own time and money.
I'm getting sick of all these moron's trying tell everybody else how to live, what to drive, where you can smoke, that you need to buy health insurance or you will pay a fine..

Wake up people!!

Hey if people don't want to own guns don't. I want to own a gun and I do. But fining people because they don't have a gun is ridiculous. Not everyone is mentally capable of safe gun ownership.

1995 Ford F-250 7.3 (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima 3.0
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Bigfoot is an OBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADubDiesel View Post

Hey if people don't want to own guns don't. I want to own a gun and I do. But fining people because they don't have a gun is ridiculous. Not everyone is mentally capable of safe gun ownership.
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculus. But so is making people pay 'fees' or 'taxes' purchase 'licenses' to own a gun.

Would I support legislation worded like this? No.

But, if the legislation levied a surcharge on all households not owning a firearm because of increased police activity to 'protect' the household. That would be fine with me because it clearly shows "why" the charge is required and "what" it would pay for.

Go ARMY!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode