Democrats vote to half the Medicare Advantage program - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Democrats vote to half the Medicare Advantage program

But tell insurance companies they can not tell the American People......

1997 F250 PSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It's not a gun-free zone if you get shot while you're there"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 01:26 AM
<-- it's like that

Re: Democrats vote to half the Medicare Advantage program

Yet another Fox News story that has only enough of the story to be misleading. Even the title of the video is misleading, as there was no vote to cut Medicare Advantage funding in half.

Look up the whole story, there's a LOT more to it, and it all stems from Baucus' proposed health care legislation (the alternative one that was just recently submitted). Heck, that bill isn't even close to being ready for a vote (and a good thing too, that bill sucks).

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 01:47 AM
Yeah, it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
Yet another Fox News story that has only enough of the story to be misleading. Even the title of the video is misleading, as there was no vote to cut Medicare Advantage funding in half.

Look up the whole story, there's a LOT more to it, and it all stems from Baucus' proposed health care legislation (the alternative one that was just recently submitted). Heck, that bill isn't even close to being ready for a vote (and a good thing too, that bill sucks).
Did you even watch this clip? First, the original poster on Youtube titled it, not Fox, so take it up with him. What I think Fox was running was the fact that the gov't is trying to gag order the insurance companies, which would be against the 1st amendment if you have ever actually read the Constitution. There was one spot in the whole 2:17 minute clip that even said one thing about the 50% cut in funding, so about 4 seconds of the whole clip or about 2% of the clip. Which was one person asking the question and one guy saying yes.

How is that lying? It would be like me saying, "I hate green people" and a news station reporting, "Brad hates green people" now if the news station said, "Brad hates red people" when I said, "I hate green people" that would have been a lie

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 02:45 AM
<-- it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirider944 View Post
Did you even watch this clip?
Yes, I did

Quote:
First, the original poster on Youtube titled it, not Fox, so take it up with him.
And Rampy titled the thread the same way. The whole thing is misleading, from Fox's story (which they left out many many many facts), to the title of the video on Youtube, to the title of this thread. People who click on this thread will have pre-conceived notions as to what the story is about. Problem is, it's not even correct. So yes, misleading.

Quote:
What I think Fox was running was the fact that the gov't is trying to gag order the insurance companies, which would be against the 1st amendment if you have ever actually read the Constitution.
Yes I read the constitution. And no, this isn't a constitutional matter. If you knew the entire story, you would know why. The government isn't putting a gag order on Humana or any other insurance companies (however Fox News is trying to allege this in their story). Here's what happened. Humana gets funding from Medicare to administer health benefits for the Medicare Advantage program. Humana then turned around and sent a letter to Medicare Advantage recipients warning them that Baucus' proposed health care bill could cut benefits. In other words, Humana sent that letter on behalf of Medicare. In turn, Medicare told Humana to shut up, since Humana did not have authority to speak on behalf of Medicare, since Medicare, not Humana, decides what benefits they want to provide.

It basically boils down to Humana speaking out of turn, and trying to tell recipients what Medicare will and will not provide. If Humana just sent out a letter talking about the proposed health care bill, and left Medicare (and specific references to benefits) out of the letter, this would never have come up in the first place.

Humana bit the hand that feeds them.

Now republicans are trying to call foul, and democrats are trying to call foul on the republicans. That whole debate in the Senate Finance Committee was all grandstanding, and really amounted to nothing. Yet Fox News ran the story to try and convince people that the government was putting a gag order on insurance companies to not let them talk about the health care bills that are being proposed right now. That's not what went down. Another story blown out of proportion by Fox. Media bias at its finest.

Quote:
There was one spot in the whole 2:17 minute clip that even said one thing about the 50% cut in funding, so about 4 seconds of the whole clip or about 2% of the clip. Which was one person asking the question and one guy saying yes.
Are there proposed cuts in Baucus' health care bill? Yes. Does it specify what benefits, if any, will be changed/reduced/eliminated by Medicare or Medicare Advantage? No.

Did you know that insurance providers like Humana upcharge Medicare Advantage programs to its clients? They aren't supposed to, but they do. Medicare Advantage private insurance plans are supposed to be cheaper than traditional Medicare plans. However, due to these upcharges by companies like Humana, these plans are more expensive than traditional Medicare.

Suddenly, Humana doesn't sound like the innocent victim in this whole story....

Quote:
How is that lying? It would be like me saying, "I hate green people" and a news station reporting, "Brad hates green people" now if the news station said, "Brad hates red people" when I said, "I hate green people" that would have been a lie
By intentionally leaving out the rest of the facts, Fox News is twisting the story around. It reeks of pro-republican, anti-democrat bias. Sorry, but democrats and republicans alike suck the big one, yet Fox consistently tries to paint the republican party as being saints. It's pure bs.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Your connection to the
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 04:25 AM
FNG

Quote:
Yes, I did

And Rampy titled the thread the same way. The whole thing is misleading, from Fox's story (which they left out many many many facts), to the title of the video on Youtube, to the title of this thread. People who click on this thread will have pre-conceived notions as to what the story is about. Problem is, it's not even correct. So yes, misleading.

Yes I read the constitution. And no, this isn't a constitutional matter. If you knew the entire story, you would know why. The government isn't putting a gag order on Humana or any other insurance companies (however Fox News is trying to allege this in their story). Here's what happened. Humana gets funding from Medicare to administer health benefits for the Medicare Advantage program. Humana then turned around and sent a letter to Medicare Advantage recipients warning them that Baucus' proposed health care bill could cut benefits. In other words, Humana sent that letter on behalf of Medicare. In turn, Medicare told Humana to shut up, since Humana did not have authority to speak on behalf of Medicare, since Medicare, not Humana, decides what benefits they want to provide.

It basically boils down to Humana speaking out of turn, and trying to tell recipients what Medicare will and will not provide. If Humana just sent out a letter talking about the proposed health care bill, and left Medicare (and specific references to benefits) out of the letter, this would never have come up in the first place.

Now republicans are trying to call foul, and democrats are trying to call foul on the republicans. That whole debate in the Senate Finance Committee was all grandstanding, and really amounted to nothing. Yet Fox News ran the story to try and convince people that the government was putting a gag order on insurance companies to not let them talk about the health care bills that are being proposed right now. That's not what went down. Another story blown out of proportion by Fox. Media bias at its finest.

Are there proposed cuts in Baucus' health care bill? Yes. Does it specify what benefits, if any, will be changed/reduced/eliminated by Medicare or Medicare Advantage? No.

Did you know that insurance providers like Humana upcharge Medicare Advantage programs to its clients? They aren't supposed to, but they do. Medicare Advantage private insurance plans are supposed to be cheaper than traditional Medicare plans. However, due to these upcharges by companies like Humana, these plans are more expensive than traditional Medicare.

By intentionally leaving out the rest of the facts, Fox News is twisting the story around. It reeks of pro-republican, anti-democrat bias. Sorry, but democrats and republicans alike suck the big one, yet Fox consistently tries to paint the republican party as being saints. It's pure bs.
Curtis your statement in bold is true to an extent.

Private medicare advantage providers are not allowed to upcharge if they only provide the minimum standard allowed by medicare. However if the go above and beyond said standard they are allowed to upcharge

Dave G

06 F250 Lariat 4x4 leveled on 35s

4 inch flowmaster exhaust
Bulletproof diesel egr delete.
Bulletproof diesel FICM
Performance Machine & Manufacturing Coolant Filter Kit

ECM and FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes from Gearhead, Innovative and Wildman
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 05:08 AM
--------

Quote:
Yes I read the constitution. And no, this isn't a constitutional matter. If you knew the entire story, you would know why. The government isn't putting a gag order on Humana or any other insurance companies (however Fox News is trying to allege this in their story). Bullsh!t. It's a damn gag order. Here's what happened. Humana gets funding from Medicare to administer health benefits for the Medicare Advantage program. Humana then turned around and sent a letter to Medicare Advantage recipients warning them that Baucus' proposed health care bill could cut benefits. In other words, Humana sent that letter on behalf of Medicare. Bullsh!t. Humana sent the letters on behalf of Humana. In turn, Medicare told Humana to shut up, since Humana did not have authority to speak on behalf of Medicare, since Medicare, not Humana, decides what benefits they want to provide. Bullsh!t again. Congress decides. Have you not been watching the news? That's what the whole debate is about.

Are there proposed cuts in Baucus' health care bill? Yes. Does it specify what benefits, if any, will be changed/reduced/eliminated by Medicare or Medicare Advantage? No. Neither did Humana's letter.

Say what you want, all anyone else has to do is listen with their own ears.

You can cover a turd in sugar, but it doesn't make it a jelly doughnut.

2004 F250 SC Shortbed 6.0 (03 Engine) Auto 4X2 Lariat, John Wood SCT, 4" Turbo back exhaust with cat, Boze Fatal Eight 20x10 Wheels, Toyo Proxes ST 305/50-20 Tires

Quote:
Spelling is a lossed art.
Quote:
Always be sincere...even if you don't mean it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 01:44 PM
<-- it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Curtis your statement in bold is true to an extent.

Private medicare advantage providers are not allowed to upcharge if they only provide the minimum standard allowed by medicare. However if the go above and beyond said standard they are allowed to upcharge
Yes, that's pretty standard and common sense. But I wasn't talking about extended coverage outside of Medicare Advantage, or add-on or suppliment care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
Good, then for once turn away from Fox News and look up other news sources about this story. Try to get all the facts first.

I'm not saying that the democrats were correct in their actions. Yet at the same time, neither were the republicans. What I am saying is Fox News' coverage of that story sucked balls, and was full of propoganda and bias.

Quote:
That sums up Fox News pretty well, actually.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Your connection to the
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 01:55 PM
FNG

Quote:
Yes, that's pretty standard and common sense. But I wasn't talking about extended coverage outside of Medicare Advantage, or add-on or suppliment care.

Good, then for once turn away from Fox News and look up other news sources about this story. Try to get all the facts first.

I'm not saying that the democrats were correct in their actions. Yet at the same time, neither were the republicans. What I am saying is Fox News' coverage of that story sucked balls, and was full of propoganda and bias.

Curtis I used to work for Wellpoint. They ownedroughly 60% of the health insurance companies that provide medicare advantage and part D policies at the time I worked for them. Probably more now. If the policy covered the minimum advantage or D standards set by medicare and only those standards they DID NOT upcharge for them. Now if the went above and beyond the minimums yes they do upcharge. Medicare gives them every right too

Dave G

06 F250 Lariat 4x4 leveled on 35s

4 inch flowmaster exhaust
Bulletproof diesel egr delete.
Bulletproof diesel FICM
Performance Machine & Manufacturing Coolant Filter Kit

ECM and FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes from Gearhead, Innovative and Wildman
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 05:41 PM
<-- it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Curtis I used to work for Wellpoint. They ownedroughly 60% of the health insurance companies that provide medicare advantage and part D policies at the time I worked for them. Probably more now. If the policy covered the minimum advantage or D standards set by medicare and only those standards they DID NOT upcharge for them. Now if the went above and beyond the minimums yes they do upcharge. Medicare gives them every right too
Problem is that there are issues right now concerning Medicare Advantage. The Advantage program was supposed to be cheaper than traditional Medicare (and save Medicare a bit of money), however it's now costing on average between 12-20% more (figures vary depending on what source you are looking at). In addition, some insurance companies are overcharging for these policies by up to 50%.

So Medicare is strapped for cash, and the Medicare Advantage program is being drained even faster. At the same time, it's turned into a cash cow for many insurance companies. The program is being abused.

Probably no different than most other government programs - they all tend to line the pockets of someone.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Your connection to the
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 07:58 PM
--------

Quote:
Quote:
I watch MSNBC every day. I even suffer through Keith Olbermann & Rachael Maddow a couple times a week. What I'm talking about when I say people should "listen with their own ears" is what the elected officials say; not what the pundits say. But you have to listen to Fox to hear the full story of what's being said by those elected officials. If you don't, you're an uninformed idiot.

Quote:
Quote:
If you think MSNBC, CNN, NBC, CBS, et al., are any more fair than Fox, then you've already lost the argument. There's some real pricks on Fox, Shawn Hannity for one, but there's just as many pricks on the Liberal stations. You have to be able to filter out the bullsh!t. I can tell the difference. Can you?

I started my adult life as a registered Democrat. Then I actually started paying attention and switched to Republican. Unfortunately, the Republicans are no longer Republicans. They're now nothing more than Democrat light.

Here's a great quote from Dennis Miller about switching to Republican. "I got tired of the Democrats telling me how fukked up I was and then turning around and asking me for 50% of my fukked upedness."

You probably won't understand that because, apparently, you're just like Obama; a pompous prick that thinks he knows everything.

Have a nice day.

2004 F250 SC Shortbed 6.0 (03 Engine) Auto 4X2 Lariat, John Wood SCT, 4" Turbo back exhaust with cat, Boze Fatal Eight 20x10 Wheels, Toyo Proxes ST 305/50-20 Tires

Quote:
Spelling is a lossed art.
Quote:
Always be sincere...even if you don't mean it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode