The Death Book for Veterans..Thanks Obama.. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

The Death Book for Veterans..Thanks Obama..

And people say there is no "death book" in the wings for American citizens under Obama care....

Take a look at what Obama has done for the Veterans and how Bush put a end to the "VA Death book" and how obama has brought it back in force....

Let's just kill all the old vets, they are worthless and taking up space, thus we will save money and have more room for current vets.....

If President Obama wants to better understand why America's discomfort with end-of-life discussions threatens to derail his health-care reform, he might begin with his own Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). He will quickly discover how government bureaucrats are greasing the slippery slope that can start with cost containment but quickly become a systematic denial of care.

Last year, bureaucrats at the VA's National Center for Ethics in Health Care advocated a 52-page end-of-life planning document, "Your Life, Your Choices." It was first published in 1997 and later promoted as the VA's preferred living will throughout its vast network of hospitals and nursing homes. After the Bush White House took a look at how this document was treating complex health and moral issues, the VA suspended its use. Unfortunately, under President Obama, the VA has now resuscitated "Your Life, Your Choices."

Who is the primary author of this workbook? Dr. Robert Pearlman, chief of ethics evaluation for the center, a man who in 1996 advocated for physician-assisted suicide in Vacco v. Quill before the U.S. Supreme Court and is known for his support of health-care rationing.

"Your Life, Your Choices" presents end-of-life choices in a way aimed at steering users toward predetermined conclusions, much like a political "push poll." For example, a worksheet on page 21 lists various scenarios and asks users to then decide whether their own life would be "not worth living."

The circumstances listed include ones common among the elderly and disabled: living in a nursing home, being in a wheelchair and not being able to "shake the blues." There is a section which provocatively asks, "Have you ever heard anyone say, 'If I'm a vegetable, pull the plug'?" There also are guilt-inducing scenarios such as "I can no longer contribute to my family's well being," "I am a severe financial burden on my family" and that the vet's situation "causes severe emotional burden for my family."

When the government can steer vulnerable individuals to conclude for themselves that life is not worth living, who needs a death panel?

One can only imagine a soldier surviving the war in Iraq and returning without all of his limbs only to encounter a veteran's health-care system that seems intent on his surrender.

I was not surprised to learn that the VA panel of experts that sought to update "Your Life, Your Choices" between 2007-2008 did not include any representatives of faith groups or disability rights advocates. And as you might guess, only one organization was listed in the new version as a resource on advance directives: the Hemlock Society (now euphemistically known as "Compassion and Choices").

This hurry-up-and-die message is clear and unconscionable. Worse, a July 2009 VA directive instructs its primary care physicians to raise advance care planning with all VA patients and to refer them to "Your Life, Your Choices." Not just those of advanced age and debilitated condition—all patients. America's 24 million veterans deserve better.

Many years ago I created an advance care planning document called "Five Wishes" that is today the most widely used living will in America, with 13 million copies in national circulation. Unlike the VA's document, this one does not contain the standard bias to withdraw or withhold medical care. It meets the legal requirements of at least 43 states, and it runs exactly 12 pages.

After a decade of observing end-of-life discussions, I can attest to the great fear that many patients have, particularly those with few family members and financial resources. I lived and worked in an AIDS home in the mid-1980s and saw first-hand how the dying wanted more than health care—they wanted someone to care.

If President Obama is sincere in stating that he is not trying to cut costs by pressuring the disabled to forgo critical care, one good way to show that commitment is to walk two blocks from the Oval Office and pull the plug on "Your Life, Your Choices." He should make sure in the future that VA decisions are guided by values that treat the lives of our veterans as gifts, not burdens.

Hummm, it's from the Wall Street Journal, so it must be true......

1997 F250 PSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It's not a gun-free zone if you get shot while you're there"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 01:46 AM
<-- it's like that

Re: The Death Book for Veterans..Thanks Obama..

Well, the end of life counseling will most likely be the first thing removed from the proposed health care plan when the fall break is over.

And at the rate things are going with the town hall meetings, the entire proposal might be scrapped before long. Hopefully that happens... it would mean that our government for once actually listened to its citizens.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
Well, the end of life counseling will most likely be the first thing removed from the proposed health care plan when the fall break is over.

And at the rate things are going with the town hall meetings, the entire proposal might be scrapped before long. Hopefully that happens... it would mean that our government for once actually listened to its citizens.
Do you really think they will remove it from the VA health care system??

Sure says a lot about Obama when he's all in favor of killing off veterans who fought for America.....

1997 F250 PSD

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:23 AM
<-- it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampRat View Post
Do you really think they will remove it from the VA health care system??
If I was a betting man... yes, they'll remove it. Too much controversy around it right now for it to take effect anywhere, especially the VA.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Junior Mint

The 'VA Death Book' was just recently lightly revised but has actually been in use for years. Well before the current administration.

Of course before Obama became the president it was simply called counseling.

Rat you are so gullible. I don't think you know your ass from a hole in the ground.

I'm officially...Stroke-less.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
The 'VA Death Book' was just recently lightly revised but has actually been in use for years. Well before the current administration.
Did you read the article where it had been removed from the VA by Pres Bush & Obama re introduced it.....

Quote:
Of course before Obama became the president it was simply called counseling.
Not true, but then I'm ASSuming you know this 1st hand since you get your medical treatment from the VA and visit VA hospitals & get "counseling" from them....

Quote:
Rat you are so gullible. I don't think you know your ass from a hole in the ground.
Ahhh, yes when all else fails call me names.....keep it up, it just shows what kind of person you really are and that you can not argue the issues...

1997 F250 PSD

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Keyboard Thug

Hey Ramp, just curious, no ulterior motive, do you visit the VA? My FIL does, and someday I will. I have little faith in them, from what I know.

99 F250 4x4 SC SB Eats 6.0's

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!PainTrain!!! View Post
I'm not saying the 7.3 is god's gift to diesel either. But atleast when a CPS goes out you can change it on the side of the road. I don't know about you but I'm running out of places in my glove box to store injectors, head studs, new heads, up pipes, fuel pumps, ficms, and a lift to remove the cab.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bore View Post
Hey Ramp, just curious, no ulterior motive, do you visit the VA? My FIL does, and someday I will. I have little faith in them, from what I know.
Yep, I sure nuf do.....

Spent 2 hours there yesterday as matter of fact......Going in next week for a CT (I picked the day and time) ......

Have also been down to the VA hosp in Denver....

1997 F250 PSD

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Keyboard Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampRat View Post
Yep, I sure nuf do.....

Spent 2 hours there yesterday as matter of fact......Going in next week for a CT (I picked the day and time) ......

Have also been down to the VA hosp in Denver....
Thanks for your service. I thought it important for others to know you are one of those who put their ass where their mouth is. I've always felt the opinion of someone who served carried a little more weight, since they earned their freedoms where others are simply given them. I think everyone should serve. Our country would be a lot better off.

99 F250 4x4 SC SB Eats 6.0's

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!PainTrain!!! View Post
I'm not saying the 7.3 is god's gift to diesel either. But atleast when a CPS goes out you can change it on the side of the road. I don't know about you but I'm running out of places in my glove box to store injectors, head studs, new heads, up pipes, fuel pumps, ficms, and a lift to remove the cab.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 10:19 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bore View Post
Thanks for your service. I thought it important for others to know you are one of those who put their ass where their mouth is. I've always felt the opinion of someone who served carried a little more weight, since they earned their freedoms where others are simply given them. I think everyone should serve. Our country would be a lot better off.

I wanted too... Took the tests and all. They took one look at my back and walked away.

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode