Wash. Growers short of labor - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Wash. Growers short of labor

It seems we have plenty of abled bodies to do the job (with a realistic 14+% unemployment rate), but none who are just too damn lazy to do the job!

Shortage of Farm Workers Means Wash. Growers Suffer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 12:54 AM
Poh
Respect my awesomeness

Re: Wash. Growers short of labor

I picked fruit one year..... I made more money on unemployment. Picking fruit is a hard miserable job and it doesn't even pay minimum wage.....

solution to the problem ..... put the ####ing welfare rats on it.

96 F350 Crew Cab Dually. 7.3L stroke. CXracing intercooler, 3" Down pipe, Tru cool max transmission cooler, EBV delete.

just to live does not mean you're alive
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 01:02 AM
PSN Local

^ yea that right there is the problem with the world. You make more on unemployment and all the available work is "to hard" So everybody is at the pool all day riding the system while the rest of us are out there working our asses off

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 01:09 AM
Poh
Respect my awesomeness

did you read the part where I said I picked Fruit?........ Worked 12 hour days for about $40. The same summer I also peeled logs at $40 a log.. made $160 day in 8 hours back in 1992.

I also pay more into unemployment in a year that I have ever drawn. Doesn't change the fact that picking fruit is a hard miserable job for next to no pay. Want people to pick fruit, pay more.

I make $400 a day average profit from my tractor trailer pulling a flatbed... it is hard miserable dirty sweaty work...... As miserable as it is, I would rather do that than pick fruit.

either pay more or put the welfare rats on it..... or quit your decent paying job and do it yourself before judging people that don't want to do it.

96 F350 Crew Cab Dually. 7.3L stroke. CXracing intercooler, 3" Down pipe, Tru cool max transmission cooler, EBV delete.

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 01:20 AM
PSN Local

If people only put half as much effort into finding a job or learning a trade as they do working the system
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 01:22 AM
Super Sparky

If I were unemployed, I'd be glad to pick fruit! I'd be glad to have any job! Fortunately, Construction work is still going strong here.

2009 F350 4x4 CCLB Job 2
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 02:15 AM
Poh
Respect my awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinpower View Post
If people only put half as much effort into finding a job or learning a trade as they do working the system
are you just missing the point.......

nobody wants to pick fruit because it is a miserable job for slave wages. Thats why we were importing Mexicans to do it.

Don't judge until you have gone out and spent 10 days in the field picking fruit.

again, either pay more or put the welfare rats to work doing it.

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Poh I agree with putting the welfare folk and the like out there. We should also put the prison folk out there, instead of them milking the system worse off than the welfare folk. We could do so much more to improve our current system, but everyone seems to be too afraid to do or say anything.

We don't need mexicans, mungs, etc to do the dirty work. We have plenty of abled bodies to do the job already, but like it was mentioned many times before, no one wants to do it, cause ahhh, it is tooo hard. Well tuff chit, put your big boy pants on everyone and learn how to sweat a little. It never hurt anyone.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 04:26 AM
Poh
Respect my awesomeness

I would probably do it if I had a stake in it....... but I don't get out of bed for less than $20 an hour, sorry ....... but any less than $20 I would rather do the other #### I got to do. My time is valuable.

I got to finish my pick up, finish re-painting the inside of my house, put a cooling fan on the wife's PT cruiser, have my mom cremated, drive to AZ to spread her ashes, find a '13 mustang to replace the Porsche I sold, Find a Motorcycle to replace the Lincoln that my wife totaled.........

Just not worth my time to go out and pick fruit for less than $4.00 an hour..... I pay the kid that mows my lawn $10 an hour........ (he gets $20, takes him 30 min) My own kids get more than that for washing and polishing the Aluminum on my IH 9900.

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Poh, we do however have many high school kids and college kids who really do nothing all day long. When I was in high school and college, I worked for my neighbor (potato farm) and I got paid when I started at $3.25/hour, and my last year their 7 years later, I got paid $6.25 in 1998. We all worked hard. We did bitch a little, but it was a job and I really loved doing it. Now everyone wants $20/hour or more, or they walk. Well, that just doesn't work out very well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode