A Hard Goodbye - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

A Hard Goodbye

When our youngest son joined the Army, we knew that challenges lay ahead. We knew that he would face danger and be tested physically, emotionally, and spiritually. We also knew that in some ways our home would never fully be his home again. In the months leading up to his departure, my wife and I steeled ourselves for these challenges.

Then the day came when Mark had to report. We hugged and said our goodbyes, and then he walked into the recruiting station, leaving me with a moment for which I was decidedly unprepared. The pain of that hard goodbye felt unbearable. At the risk of sounding overly dramatic, I can’t remember when I have wept as hard as I did that day. The hard goodbye, and the sense of loss it delivered, cut me to the heart.

In such moments, I am thankful to have a heavenly Father who knows what it is to be separated from a beloved Son. I am thankful to have a God who is described as “a father of the fatherless, a defender of widows” (Ps. 68:5). I believe that if He cares for the orphaned and the widows in their loneliness, He will also care for me and comfort me—even in those moments when I face the struggles that accompany hard goodbyes.

When our loved ones say goodbye
And we have to be apart,
God can fill our loneliness
With His presence in our heart. —Sper

Loneliness comes when we forget
about the One who is always with us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 07:02 AM
NYFB. Thats what.

Re: A Hard Goodbye

A huge thank you to you and your family for serving our great country.

The mods are dumb for posting in my Sig line. Next time the mods are gonna ban me and be down to a whopping 10 members. I love PSN!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:36 PM
PSN Local

Tell your son thank you. I guess having been in the Corps for 6.5 years now ive lost touch with what it felt like the first time I left. Your son is doing a noble thing and when you see him after boot camp he will be a man. Congrats on raising him right

2006 F-350 King Ranch 4x4

USMC/OIF Veteran
2005-2014

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 02:23 PM
PSN Newb

When I saw my son leave for boot camp I had the same sense of loss, but I also felt great pride that he had joined the noblest of professions.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 02:29 PM
CH-46 never forgoten

Send a message via Skype™ to USMC6.0

thanks to your son and as stated before he will come home a man and give you a lot more moments to be proud of him. not to sound like an ass but this goodbye will be easier than the on when hes leaving for the sandbox, but the hello when he comes home will be worth it all.

04 f250 bullydog, 4" tb to single 7" stack, and k&n intake, egr delete

09 kawasaki zx6r two brothers exhaust bald rear tire and lots of air time on the front

Originally Posted by 444-4D
It always gets better with time. I've been married so long we don't have anything left to argue about.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 08:10 PM
PSN Local

David... my best wishes to you, your family and especially, your son. My second oldest is in college with the help of an NROTC scholarship. He wants to fly. The loss of our warriors this past weekend reminds me of what we may be facing in the years ahead. Bittersweet doesn't begin to describe my feelings.

'04 F350 CCLB DRW. With some stuff.
Redwood 36FL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode