Posse Comitatus, isn't this unconstitutional? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Posse Comitatus, isn't this unconstitutional?

In Homestead, Florida, Posse Comitatus is dead. The Air Force now responds to civilian crime in the small city, population around 30,000.

Military “crime stoppers” violate Posse Comitatus in Florida. Photo from Homestead ARB website.“Here at Homestead Air Reserve Base we have the Crime Stop hotline that allows anyone either on base or off the installation to anonymously report a crime,” explains the Homestead Air Reserve Base website. “If you know of a crime that has been committed, if you see a crime in progress, or if you see a suspicious person, vehicle, or situation that makes you feel a crime may be occurring, call the Security Forces Crime Stop Hotline…”

On July 15, military police – known as Security Forces patrolmen – detained a criminal suspect at a Circle K in until Miami-Dade police arrived.

“Crime prevention is everyone’s responsibility, the better informed we are the safer we can make the installation and the surrounding community,” said t. Juan Lemus, Security Forces Police Services Chief.

Crime prevention off military bases is the responsibility of civilian police, not the military. In 1878, following Reconstruction, the Posse Comitatus Act was passed. It limited the powers of the federal government to use the military for law enforcement. The statute prohibits Army and Air Force personnel and units of the National Guard under federal authority from acting in a law enforcement capacity within the United States, except where expressly authorized by the Constitution or Congress.

Infowars.com has reported numerous violations of Posse Comitatus since September 11, 2001.

In 2009, the National Guard provided “security” in Kingman, Arizona. The Coast Guard, under the Department of Homeland Security, is now exempt from the Act.

The military participated in a checkpoint along with Tennessee cops and Homeland Security in April of 2009. The governor and state representatives were not aware of the illegal collaboration when contacted by the Alex Jones Show.

In 2008, the Marine Corps Air and Ground Combat Center and the California Highway Patrol used the Christmas holiday as an excuse to collaborate on a drunk driving checkpoint in San Bernardino County.

Following a shooting in Alabama, the Army was dispatched from Fort Rucker to patrol the streets of Samson in 2009.

Pittsburgh mayor Luke Ravenstahl called in the National guard to help in “domestic” disputes in 2009. Ravenstahl used a snow emergency as an excuse. He went on television and said “be advised that you will begin to see National Guard Humvees in some of your neighborhoods beginning this evening.”

The above represents just a small sampling of the military violating Posse Comitatus. The Act was violated in earnest following Hurricane Katrina in 2005. The devastating storm proved to be a beta test for military violations of the law.

Link!

2005 Excursion LTD 4x4 6.0
Weld Stone Crushers
BFG KM2'S 315/75/15
Hellwig F&R Heavy Duty Sway Bars
Firestone Air Ride
NUC Motorsports oil bypass
Diesel Site Coolant Filter
ART Rotors
3" Tuff Country Lift
Cat Delete

2010 KTM 530 EXC Champions Edition
2010 BMW R1200GS Adventure

And on the 8th day God said unto thee, "RIDE BITCHES!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 03:49 PM
<-- it's like that

Re: Posse Comitatus, isn't this unconstitutional?

You may need to start looking for other sources of information. If you're getting your news from Alex Jones, and believe it's news, then you're doing nothing but staying mis-informed.

Alex Jones is a psychopath. He consistently lies and spreads rumors. It's not journalism, it's conspiracy theories and vendettas. Even in this story he is seriously misrepresenting events. Events such as the checkpoints are completely overblown. It's common for military to conduct exercise training with local authorities when setting up checkpoints. Military personel cannot enforce laws or detain anyone. They can only observe. This practice is more common than you think.

Another misrepresentation is the Samson, AL incident. What Alex Jones is conveniently leaving out of the story is that those responsible for deploying the troops were found guilty of violating the Comitatus Act, and subsequently punished. Furthermore, that action was not approved by the Governor of AL, nor the president.

Even more.... the coast guard isn't "now exempt under the act" because of Homeland Security. They've been exempt for decades. It's nothing new. They are a search and rescue operation, and they do have law enforcement branches that collaborate to help stop drug smuggling operations.

Those are just quick examples of how Alex Jones is twisting this story. Unfortunately, I could find precisely zero information about the Homestead FL Air Force base. Everything I've found in my search is simply blog copies of Alex Jones' article. It's as if the story just appeared out of thin air.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
You may need to start looking for other sources of information. If you're getting your news from Alex Jones, and believe it's news, then you're doing nothing but staying mis-informed.

Alex Jones is a psychopath. He consistently lies and spreads rumors. It's not journalism, it's conspiracy theories and vendettas. Even in this story he is seriously misrepresenting events. Events such as the checkpoints are completely overblown. It's common for military to conduct exercise training with local authorities when setting up checkpoints. Military personel cannot enforce laws or detain anyone. They can only observe. This practice is more common than you think.

Another misrepresentation is the Samson, AL incident. What Alex Jones is conveniently leaving out of the story is that those responsible for deploying the troops were found guilty of violating the Comitatus Act, and subsequently punished. Furthermore, that action was not approved by the Governor of AL, nor the president.

Even more.... the coast guard isn't "now exempt under the act" because of Homeland Security. They've been exempt for decades. It's nothing new. They are a search and rescue operation, and they do have law enforcement branches that collaborate to help stop drug smuggling operations.

Those are just quick examples of how Alex Jones is twisting this story. Unfortunately, I could find precisely zero information about the Homestead FL Air Force base. Everything I've found in my search is simply blog copies of Alex Jones' article. It's as if the story just appeared out of thin air.
Wow, after doing a bit of research, ol Mr. Jones is quite the make belive story teller..he actually made up a transcript of the last minutes of the space shuttle that exploded...even went as far as to say the survived a minute or two after the explosion....what a ####.

I did find this which may add to the credibility of Mr. Jones:

Search ResultsHomestead ARB Security Forces Crime Stop Program - Homestead Air ...
Story Not Found - CachedYou +1'd this publicly. Undo
4 days ago – Here at Homestead Air Reserve Base we have the Crime Stop hotline that allows anyone either on base or off the installation to anonymously ...

Of course, the story has been removed from the website...makes you wonder bout the legitimacy of the article...

And then there's this:

Busting Posse Comitatus: Military Cops Arrest Civilians in Florida ...

You +1'd this publicly. Undo
15 min - 1 day ago - Uploaded by TheAlexJonesChannel- Block all YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. results
Not helpful? You can block YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. results when you're signed in to search.YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Photo from Homestead ARB website."Here at Homestead Air Reserve Base we have the Crime Stop hotline that allows anyone either on ...

More videos for Homestead Air Reserve Base Crime Stop ... »

I just called this and was told I could report a civilian crime:

Here at Homestead Air Reserve Base we have the Crime Stop hotline that allows anyone either on base or off the installation to anonymously report a crime. If you know of a crime that has been committed, if you see a crime in progress, or if you see a suspicious person, vehicle, or situation that makes you feel a crime may be occurring, call the Security Forces Crime Stop Hotline at 786-415-7777 24 hours a day/7 days a week.

Maybe Alex Jopnes ain't full of #### on this one...

Weld Stone Crushers
BFG KM2'S 315/75/15
Firestone Air Ride
ART Rotors
3" Tuff Country Lift
Cat Delete

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 05:56 PM
<-- it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQDIESEL View Post
Maybe Alex Jopnes ain't full of #### on this one...
Or maybe he is.

Tell me, is there anything illegal in reporting a crime to a military institution? After all, Alex Jones isn't giving any information about what happens after they receive a call on their hotline. What if they simply are reporting it to the police?

What Alex Jones has done with this story has brought up the hotline, then made assumptions about what happens by drawing from other military incidents from different areas of the country.... NOT related to this base or this particular hotline. In addition, he's misrepresenting the facts in many of these other incidents, such as the vehicle checkpoint explanation I gave.

So basically he's setting up the story with misinformation. Then goes on with political rhetoric with his guest talking about how the country is "going in the wrong direction", blaming democrats and the White House for all the problems, then started into conspiracy theories about how the left is "wanting" these things to happen in order to intentionally destroy the country (what I'm wondering is how intentional destroying the country would benefit "the left"... that's never explained). Then goes on into Muslims as if they are somehow behind the military trying to piss on the constitution.

Seriously, talk about spitting in the face of our military.

Alex Jones is a nutjob. Plain and simple. You started to research him and saw for yourself. For taking the time to look it up yourself, I applaud you.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
Or maybe he is.

Tell me, is there anything illegal in reporting a crime to a military institution? After all, Alex Jones isn't giving any information about what happens after they receive a call on their hotline. What if they simply are reporting it to the police?

What Alex Jones has done with this story has brought up the hotline, then made assumptions about what happens by drawing from other military incidents from different areas of the country.... NOT related to this base or this particular hotline. In addition, he's misrepresenting the facts in many of these other incidents, such as the vehicle checkpoint explanation I gave.

So basically he's setting up the story with misinformation. Then goes on with political rhetoric with his guest talking about how the country is "going in the wrong direction", blaming democrats and the White House for all the problems, then started into conspiracy theories about how the left is "wanting" these things to happen in order to intentionally destroy the country (what I'm wondering is how intentional destroying the country would benefit "the left"... that's never explained). Then goes on into Muslims as if they are somehow behind the military trying to piss on the constitution.

Seriously, talk about spitting in the face of our military.

Alex Jones is a nutjob. Plain and simple. You started to research him and saw for yourself. For taking the time to look it up yourself, I applaud you.
You bring up some good points, so I shall remain open minded about the matter, but nonetheless, he is a c u n t for bull####ting that shuttle transcript...he seems like another right wing nut job attention whore who's hellbent on spreading bullsh i t propoganda....

Weld Stone Crushers
BFG KM2'S 315/75/15
Firestone Air Ride
ART Rotors
3" Tuff Country Lift
Cat Delete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode