2010 BMW R1200GS Adventure

And on the 8th day God said unto thee, "RIDE BITCHES!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 07:33 PM

Re: Cisco's ultimate fail

Quote:
“I was fired as a vendor by Cisco...."
Sounds more like Cisco aligning themselves with other companies that share the same views. Completely different to firing an employee.

While many will defend Turek's right to think few will defend what Cisco's rights should be, to hire, fire, contract with whomever they please.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Banned

I wish I wouldn't get so upset over stories such as these, but I know it affects my family life. My wife notices that I do get upset, and it is stories such as these that surface and then reignite that anger. I am disgusted with this. I refuse to puzzy foot around any subject. I would rather you all know where I stand, rather than keep you all guessing. Now that this gentleman has, his gay coworkers don't like it and got him removed.

I am disgusted!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 12:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Sounds an awful lot like discrimination too me.

Pat

2003 2500hd ccsb, intake 5" straight pipe, ad2 165, Bosch remans, ride right bags, tinted windows, ppe boost valve, on the way leveling kit 285's, efi live, built trans and batmo wheel
1996 E350 4x4 sled puller Draggin Wagon

Carpenter's local 2214 St. Louis, MO
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 01:56 PM
<-- it's like that

What if the employee fired was openly supporting Al-Qaeda? Would some of you still be this upset?

It's pretty standard, a company takes a position to be non-discriminatory and expects those in higher positions to reflect the company standards publicly. If an employee engages in public activities that go against company policy, then it reflects on the company itself... even if the activity is separate from the company. It's the perception that falls upon upper management.

Think of congressmen and senators in Washington. They are held to the same public standard. If they engage in an activity that is deemed inappropriate, they can be asked to resign. Just look at Congressman Weiner for the latest example.

In other words, just because some of you guys might agree with this person's stance on gay marriage, doesn't mean that he should be held to a different standard than someone who you might disagree with. The company is simply protecting itself by not putting itself in a position where upper management appears to be discriminatory.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
I wish I wouldn't get so upset over stories such as these, but I know it affects my family life. My wife notices that I do get upset, and it is stories such as these that surface and then reignite that anger. I am disgusted with this. I refuse to puzzy foot around any subject. I would rather you all know where I stand, rather than keep you all guessing. Now that this gentleman has, his gay coworkers don't like it and got him removed.

I am disgusted!
They were NOT co-workers...he was a vendor.

Are you saying a business should not be able to align itself with other businesses that share the same view? No matter what that view may be?

As for direct employees...

My parents ran a very successful convenience store with homemade breakfast and lunches. It was very conservative and they received a lot of their business from the local churches and other conservative businesses in the area. They didn't sell alcohol, cigarettes, adult magazines, etc, etc.

A very flaming gentleman applied for a job. He had many piercings, wild hair and cross dressed quite often. They did not hire him and he sued.

My parents closed their business due what the cost to defend their actions was going to be.

Do you think my parents should be forced to hire this person? Why should it be different for Cisco?

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 02:08 PM
PSN Veteran

Who's upset besides Binder?

It seems ironic to discriminate against someone in an effort not to appear discriminatory.

Pat

2003 2500hd ccsb, intake 5" straight pipe, ad2 165, Bosch remans, ride right bags, tinted windows, ppe boost valve, on the way leveling kit 285's, efi live, built trans and batmo wheel

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 02:39 PM
PSN Veteran

Did your parents have a dress code? If they did why not hire the guy?

Let's put the shoe on the other foot. What if the guy was gay and working in a conservative business and he got fired because of it? You've seen first hand what happened by not hiring a gay. What do you think the outcome would be?

Obviously I'm conservative but I see no reason to not hire anyone regardless of religious, political or sexual beliefs. All I care about is they look presentable and conduct themselves in a professional manner.

To have a policy were you express to openly accept anyone and their opinions and then you terminate someone because (private) differing opinions it smells like a lawsuit too me. Especially with the pro same sex conference cisco had.

It's a very typical liberal stance, I want to push my freedom on you and take away yours.

Pat

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverf250 View Post
Did your parents have a dress code? If they did why not hire the guy?
They didn't hire him because he did not fit the image they were trying to project. Should they or shouldn't they have that right?

Quote:
Let's put the shoe on the other foot. What if the guy was gay and working in a conservative business and he got fired because of it? You've seen first hand what happened by not hiring a gay. What do you think the outcome would be?
I know what the outcome would be.

Quote:
Obviously I'm conservative but I see no reason to not hire anyone regardless of religious, political or sexual beliefs. All I care about is they look presentable and conduct themselves in a professional manner.
The way you define presentable may not be the definition others use.

Quote:
To have a policy were you express to openly accept anyone and their opinions and then you terminate someone because (private) differing opinions it smells like a lawsuit too me. Especially with the pro same sex conference cisco had.

It's a very typical liberal stance, I want to push my freedom on you and take away yours.
No real disagreement from me.

My comments were mainly to Binder. I am just curious if he thinks my parents should be forced to hire someone they ddidn't feel would fit in their business model and how that would differ from Cisco.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 05:54 PM
PSN Veteran

I absolutely feel your parents could hire who they chose. An employee dress code would spell out what presentable means to the employer. I wish your parents would have been able to fight it.

Pat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode