NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law

Motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law - US news - Life - msnbc.com
Troopers say man would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet

Some interesting posts in the comment section as well:
Ia. ScooterTramp:
and just where in this article does it say he died of a brain injury? most likely cause could very well have been a broken neck.
and even had he been wearing a plastic hat, you do realize that the manufacturer's of helmets only guarantee MINIMAL protection in a blunt force of 12-15 lbs per square inch dont you? What that means in essence is a 150 pound man falling off his bike even if it where stationary. has exceeded the manufacturers warranty.
(further)
simply? you jumped to a conclusion without knowing the facts. reasonable perhaps, but so is a broken neck. Laws DO NOT prevent this, education does. as it has been showed in study after study. a helmet being worn or not has little or no impact on real life situations
In either case my sympathy to those who knew and rode with him as well as his family. R.I.P. Bro

Counterd by NU Wildcat Fan:
Scooter - Please give me a link to ANY study from a peer-reviewed medical journal that says "a helmet being worn or not has little or no impact on real life situations." My ER physician colleagues would disagree with your opinion based on no facts.

Helmets reduce cervical spine injuries (e.g. broken necks): Motorcycle helmets associated with lower risk of c... [J Am Coll Surg. 2011] - PubMed result

Helmets reduce fatalities: Helmet use in Connecticut motorcycle crashes: a st... [Conn Med. 2011] - PubMed result

Furthermore, the contention that some have that riding without a helmet only hurts the motorcyclist is false. Valuable health care resources are diverted to motorcyclists from patients with other life-threatening illnesses in the ER, potentially harming others.

Discuss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 08:47 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Re: NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law

Every time I see a rider out there without a helmet on I shake my head...

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 10:30 PM
From the LAND DOWNUNDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
Every time I see a rider out there without a helmet on I shake my head...
Totally agree, Here in Australia it has been law for for at least 40 years for motor bikes riders to wear helmets.
Also law for kids on pushbikes too.
Has proven to lower rate of deaths & serious head injuries.
As a rider also & having had some serious sports bikes including Kawasaki 1200, Triumph daytona 955, Ducati 1198 current bike, would never go out with full leathers & helmet

2005 (Aussie)
7.3 6spd
straight piped, moded air intake,
Driven Diesel reg return system & bowl delete, CAT filters,
Autometer, HPOP, Fuel Pressure, Boost,Pyro
Southbend clutch (stock couldn't handle power )
Tunes by Tony Wildman:thumbsup:.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 03:21 AM
--------

Oh the sweet irony.

2004 F250 SC Shortbed 6.0 (03 Engine) Auto 4X2 Lariat, John Wood SCT, 4" Turbo back exhaust with cat, Boze Fatal Eight 20x10 Wheels, Toyo Proxes ST 305/50-20 Tires

Quote:
Spelling is a lossed art.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Always be sincere...even if you don't mean it.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 03:40 AM
7.3 Enthusiast

Helmets should be a must. I never ride without one whether I'm in a helmetless state or not.

'02 F-350 4x4 Black RC/LB
4" Lift with 35's. OUO Traction Blocks
20x10 Fuel Throttle's
Lots of deleted parts...
Custom fuel system w/ Strictly Diesel RR
Dieselsite Adrenaline HPOP
DI Up-Pipes
DP-Tuned
and more...
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 04:09 AM
Lovin Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
Oh the sweet irony.
Nail...head.

02-350. CCSB - Drivetrain by Stauffer, fuel by Swamps, air by Barder, tunes by Gearhead.
04-250. ECSB - In the shop...7.3 swap.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Yeah, it's like that

We need to get rid of 1/2 the laws that we have already. We need to thin the herd and weed out the ones that are to dumb to protect themselves. Our gene pool is getting dumber by the generation. This isn't just a USA thing, it is world wide. People that shouldn't ever reproduce are allowed to live long enough to do so because of laws to protect their dumb azz. For the record, I live in a state that doesn't have helmet laws. I don't get on my street bike or dirt bike without a helmet and protective gear. I used to race bikes and I can tell you I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for my gear I wore.

*on edit. Scootertramp is a phucking idiot

Entrepreneurs and their small enterprises are responsible for almost all the economic growth in the United States.
Ronald Reagan
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 05:41 PM
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirider944 View Post
We need to get rid of 1/2 the laws that we have already. We need to thin the herd and weed out the ones that are to dumb to protect themselves. Our gene pool is getting dumber by the generation. This isn't just a USA thing, it is world wide. People that shouldn't ever reproduce are allowed to live long enough to do so because of laws to protect their dumb azz. For the record, I live in a state that doesn't have helmet laws. I don't get on my street bike or dirt bike without a helmet and protective gear. I used to race bikes and I can tell you I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for my gear I wore.

Thank you my thoughts exactly, but you sir are a wing nut extremist with that type of thinking and as such you are in a very small group of people that can actually think for themselves, a group that needs to be exterminated from the face of the earth.

David Lott
Quote:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Yeah, it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke Racer View Post
Thank you my thoughts exactly, but you sir are a wing nut extremist with that type of thinking and as such you are in a very small group of people that can actually think for themselves, a group that needs to be exterminated from the face of the earth.
Yeah, your right, it is hard to control a group that can think for themselves and doesn't need the gubberment to tell them what they should think or what is acceptable to think.

Entrepreneurs and their small enterprises are responsible for almost all the economic growth in the United States.
Ronald Reagan
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirider944 View Post

This is the thoughts of many! I am glad you stated it, cause I know if I did, I would be taken to the woodshed on here by some nutjobs that can't think for themselves. Whatever the gov't does is right to them!

Just walking in the shopping malls of this country I make that same comment to my wife. Many people should not be allowed to breed period! I know it won't happen but that is the bitter truth. Cause who ends up paying their way through life?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode