Handcuffed by policy, fire and police crews watch man drown - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Handcuffed by policy, fire and police crews watch man drown

fire and police crews watch man drown - Yahoo! News

Quote:
An apparently suicidal man waded into San Francisco Bay on Monday, stood up to his neck, and waited. As the man drowned, police, fire crews, and others watched idly from the shore.

Why? Officials blamed a departmental policy, stemming from budget cuts, that prevented them from jumping in to save him.

Fifty-year-old Raymond Zack spent nearly an hour in the water before drowning. A crowd of about 75 people, in addition to first responders, watched from the beach in Alameda across the bay from San Francisco as Zack inched farther and farther away, sometimes glancing back, a witness told the San Jose Mercury News. "The next thing he was floating face down."

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 02:53 AM
Lovin Life...

Re: Handcuffed by policy, fire and police crews watch man drown

Nothing surprises me coming from Cali.

How the heck can as a human being, sit their and watch someone kill themselves in this manner?

02-350. CCSB - Drivetrain by Stauffer, fuel by Swamps, air by Barder, tunes by Gearhead.
04-250. ECSB - In the shop...7.3 swap.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 03:03 AM
PSN Local

If he wanted to die, let him. The government doesn't have the right to intervene in EVERY SINGLE MATTER.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 02:47 PM
All done now

That's the reason they gave, the real reason is the water in San Fransisco Bay is cold, really cold.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 04:02 AM
PSN Local

Send a message via MSN to turbovanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddillenger View Post
If he wanted to die, let him. The government doesn't have the right to intervene in EVERY SINGLE MATTER.
Wow, your a heartless bastard aren't you? You have NO idea what happened to him to get his this far and it isn't for us to judge.

As for not helping, I am speechless, how can you just stand there and watch? From convicting innocent citizens in self defense or watching people commit suicide, this world has turned into a big sh*thole.

1989 Turbo Caravan, full load, ex daily driver, [email protected] mph.

1995 F250 Supercab 4x4 7.3 turbo diesel, auto-SOLD.

1984 GMC Getaway van, 6.2L diesel-now has a remote mounted turbo system by me, running an HX35 with a billet super 40 extended tip compressor wheel, burning WMO, WATF, hydraulic oil and Jet fuel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 GSXR750-Race bike.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 07:10 AM
(520)465-7971

Although police, firemen, etc may have regulations preventing them from such actions... what about the other bystanders? Im confused how non of the ordinary citizens did nothing...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
Wow, your a heartless bastard aren't you? You have NO idea what happened to him to get his this far and it isn't for us to judge.

As for not helping, I am speechless, how can you just stand there and watch? From convicting innocent citizens in self defense or watching people commit suicide, this world has turned into a big sh*thole.
I don't think he was judging the man rather letting the adult make the adult decision about HIS life....

I don't think I could just stand there and watch but it is HIS life.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 11:14 AM
FNG

Somehow I bet Alameda gets water rescue funding now.

Dave G

06 F250 Lariat 4x4 leveled on 35s

4 inch flowmaster exhaust
Bulletproof diesel egr delete.
Bulletproof diesel FICM
Performance Machine & Manufacturing Coolant Filter Kit

ECM and FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes from Gearhead, Innovative and Wildman
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:01 PM
PSN Newb

I live in this city. If I were at the beach and seen someone drowning, I would do my best to save them. This guy was committing SUICIDE. I'm going going to risk my life for someone who does not want to live. He is standing in 5 to 6 foot waves, you cannot see his hands and the water is freezing. It would not take long to go hypo if he resisted. How do you know he does not have a weapon? How do you know he will not try to drown you and take you with him? Would you try to save a suicidal person if they had a knife or gun? Police and fire personell risk their lives every day, that does not mean they have to put themselves in a situation such as this one. Is it sad, yeah.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 04:41 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalado View Post
I live in this city. If I were at the beach and seen someone drowning, I would do my best to save them. This guy was committing SUICIDE. I'm going going to risk my life for someone who does not want to live. He is standing in 5 to 6 foot waves, you cannot see his hands and the water is freezing. It would not take long to go hypo if he resisted. How do you know he does not have a weapon? How do you know he will not try to drown you and take you with him? Would you try to save a suicidal person if they had a knife or gun? Police and fire personell risk their lives every day, that does not mean they have to put themselves in a situation such as this one. Is it sad, yeah.

I reservedly agree. I have not been in a situation where someone was doing this while I was there. That being said, it is hard enough to rescue someone in water that WANTS to be helped, much less someone who apparently doesn't. In the grand scheme of things.......if you are NOT legally bound to act, then I guess it's what you can sleep at night with, OR what you can't .

I'll not comment on times when one may legally be bound to act, or be bound NOT to act.

I'm Gumby dammitt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode